Sign in to follow this  
Purple

Soft Landing

Purple

Hi Everyone,

Our express entry was approved (Yay¬†ūüôā). We need to enter before the Middle of October, however, I have work commitments till the end of the year.¬† Unfortunately that means that I have to do a soft landing.¬†
We're planning a trip in October for 3 weeks and will be using a family friends address for the PR cards.

However we're not sure if 3 weeks will be enough time to get it delivered (we've read that couriering it is a risk so we are not willing to go that route).

Wanted to get some advice from the forums on some of the questions we have below:

1. Does anyone have any recent experience with regards to how long the delivery of the PR card takes (older forums are saying 3 months)? 
  2. We're planning on entering in one city but provide the address of another city (we'll be flying there after a few days) would this increase the time for the card to be delivered?
  3. We read that our drivers licence can only be used within 3 months (will the soft landing count as the start of the 3 months? If so, should we do our theory and practical tests within our soft landing period?
  4. Should we open up a bank account as well? so we can start transferring money in the meantime?
  5. I read that we need to give an Goods list, - is this applicable for the short stay as well
  6. My husband is a software developer, he plans to have some interviews done in those 3 weeks - will he be able to negotiate the start date for January? or do they usually want you to start shortly after?

Please let me know if there anything else I need to consider doing in the 3 weeks?

Thanks!

OutOfSa

Hi 

1. Does anyone have any recent experience with regards to how long the delivery of the PR card takes (older forums are saying 3 months)?  
  2. We're planning on entering in one city but provide the address of another city (we'll be flying there after a few days) would this increase the time for the card to be delivered?
  3. We read that our drivers licence can only be used within 3 months (will the soft landing count as the start of the 3 months? If so, should we do our theory and practical tests within our soft landing period?
  4. Should we open up a bank account as well? so we can start transferring money in the meantime?
  5. I read that we need to give an Goods list, - is this applicable for the short stay as well
  6. My husband is a software developer, he plans to have some interviews done in those 3 weeks - will he be able to negotiate the start date for January? or do they usually want you to start shortly after?

1) Been a while since I did that, but 3 months sounds about right.  They can post it and it arrives in days and it does not get stolen YAY!

2) I doubt it would make any difference as it's a central government thing - quite efficient actually !(Wow what a change from SA).

3) I'd only consider my licence "on a count down timer" once I had landed for good.  This is a very grey area, it depends in which region you are.  I used my SA licence to drive to my tests - that did not bother the examiner, in theory that's not allowed as as soon as you write the Canadian theory test, your SA licence is cancelled.  Some provinces take away your licence when you apply - so it's probably better not to hand it in - you know, "oh, I forgot it" - use the RTMC letter - your first Canadian lie.   

When we first arrived we tried to be model citizens - be perfect and by the book - life and Canada has no place or sympathy or rewards for people trying to be good, you need to learn to work the system as soon as possible, otherwise you'll be eaten alive by all the other people that work the system (Everyone).  You'll also need to learn what not to tell insurance companies - otherwise they will give you the super-sucker-rates.   I used to donate to Walmart charity, welcome people at the door, until a furnace salesman tried to screw me over in a HUGE way.  Now I growl and hurl abuse at callers!  (Sad).

Cops here are generally very accommodating unless you're an arsehole (asshole) to them, so if they do pull you over, you show your SA licence - and the rental car is insured.  If you're not a year down the line, they'll probably be pretty happy and not knowing precisely when you arrived, not worry about it.  (You're licence'd in their eyes). [ I stand to be vigorously correct by other forumites here! ]

4) Probably smart, and you should open a credit card ASAP - even if it's in credit - you need credit history to do anything here.  The sooner you start to get one, the better.  Usually your credit history starts from the day you open your accounts.  

5) You need to give a goods list at the time you activate your PR.  Only goods on that list are exempt from import duty.  To quote the really funny customs and immigration lady that helped us, "The Canadian government LOVES taxes, don't lose this paper!  (the stamped list) Or their will be a :censored:-Storm of epic proportions !  Ha, Ha" - she was sweet.

6) How long is a piece of string !  That will depend on the company and what they are looking for.  You will need to decide how good the job is and whether you like the offer.  There are many, many people competing here.  Being FOB (Fresh off the boat) is a distinct disadvantage.  In my experience companies are tired of immigrants and their attitude, so they just say, "so long and thanks for the fish!"    Currently thanks to Peter the Selfie Man Pan, there is anti-immigrant sentiment here.

Appendix: 

Unless you have a skill that is completely impossible to find, they are not likely to wait for you.  Being from SA means nothing to many companies, unless they have SA managers.  But even when we employ, we are weary of FOB's, because they are often having a hard time settling and so are not very reliable - not to say that's you by any stretch - but just how my company thinks (for example) - several times bitten - very shy.  I hear finance thinks differently (CA's), but my experience here is that "SA" has no special meaning, no thoughts of hard workers SA="Africa", You have computers?  In Africa???  

It does have thoughts of "cheap" because of "desperate" and "willing to do anything to survive."  So exploitation is common in the beginning.  It's cruel and unfair, but the wheel turns and when the time comes to resign, then there are lots of 'sorry's' and 'what if we throw in...' and you say, "so long, thanks for the fish."  Several years later, they call you up and ask you to come back having realised you were a huge asset to them that they mistreated, and you say, "so long, thanks for the fish...."  [The Late Douglas Adams - Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy series :D]  Now the shoe is on the other foot and you are highly marketable - You have "Canadian Experience" 

You will not believe how hard it is to find good people in Canada right now because the unemployment levels are so low.  It seems that most of the people that are available are completely brain dead, no sorry brainless amoeboid.  As the teens say "No offence..."  

"Canadian Experience" - it was an absurd concept to me when I arrived - "tut, tut, I'm experienced" - However, after you have been here a few years, you realise just how different the 2 cultures really are and how much you did not fit in when you arrived.  And yes, I know I am a troll on this forum, :whistling:, but actually I'm not such a bad person in real life - no really.... 

Good luck with your en devours - I think you will find it all worth it when you finally settle - apart from driving, life is pretty chill here.  Peter Pan stinks as do his socks and the level of political correctness has reach epic levels of moronity - but you will find more and more people are fed up with being brow beaten over everything that the tide is turning for better or worse.  

Disclaimer: The content above does not necessarily reflect the beliefs of the author.  

BTW: Soft landing usually refers to a cushy landing where you have money, a nice place to stay, people to support you and get a job on the day you arrive - your dream job for life, make new BFF's that day, have parties and dance through the night.  Never get a hangover, and have people begging you to bless them, wear sandals with socks, or crocs with socks and smoke legal dope ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reibtseb
5 hours ago, OutOfSa said:

BTW: Soft landing usually refers to a cushy landing where you have money, a nice place to stay, people to support you and get a job on the day you arrive - your dream job for life, make new BFF's that day, have parties and dance through the night.  Never get a hangover, and have people begging you to bless them, wear sandals with socks, or crocs with socks and smoke legal dope ! 

That was my thought too!

But as for the PR card mailing timeline...

I landed on 20 Jan 2018, and got my PR card delivered on 8 March 2018, a day before my birthday. :D  Landed YVR and live in North Van.

Purple

Haha! Thanks for the clarification on the soft landing - I guess after seeing it in a few forums I thought it was called that!

Also, thanks for the informative reply! It will be helpful in our planning.

Kind Regards

milo23

Drivers license issues are province specific. We are in Saskatchewan. They were not interested in looking at the RTMC letter at all. So that was a waste of time and effort. They gave us 6 months to drive on SA licence. Had to do written learners and drivers within that time to avoid having to go through the whole learner driver supervision thing that takes a year. 

Same me with car insurance. Got our insurance history from Outsurance to prove we were great drivers. Not interested. 

We dis draw Weatern union credit checks in SA which I think we may have used for our mortgage application or credit card. Couldn’t apply for credit card till we had at least one salary. 

OutOfSa

Don't discount the RTMC letter in every province, I was credited 4 years of experience (out of my 25 years !) - It made a difference in Ontario to my insurance and new driver restrictions.

Reibtseb
53 minutes ago, OutOfSa said:

Don't discount the RTMC letter in every province, I was credited 4 years of experience (out of my 25 years !) - It made a difference in Ontario to my insurance and new driver restrictions.

Here in BC, I was credited the full 10 years when I showed them my RTMC letter... :)

Also had my current and expired SA licenses, that showed I've been driving for at least 10 years too. They only confiscated my expired one :D

Edited by Reibtseb

LidiaS77

Here in Victoria BC our RTMC letter could not get us a discount on insurance, they wanted to see a letter from our insurance company showing no claims.

Purple

I am not yet sure which province we will be living in, but I will get my insurance history/claims and RTMC letter.

Thanks for the tips :)

HoneyClare

HI All

I know this is an older chat but the questions relates to the topic, does anyone know:

If you do a soft landing does the whole family have to go or can the main applicant just go?

Thanks 

PhilipCX
32 minutes ago, HoneyClare said:

HI All

I know this is an older chat but the questions relates to the topic, does anyone know:

If you do a soft landing does the whole family have to go or can the main applicant just go?

Thanks 

As far as I know everyone need to activate their PR, the main applicant definitely needs to be with the first party landing. 

Nelline
16 hours ago, HoneyClare said:

HI All

Thanks 

I stand to be corrected, but as far as I know, as long as the main applicant activates first, the dependents can activate at a later date as long as it is within the dates given to you by which PR must be activated. 

@MaryJane can you confirm please? 

MaryJane
On 2/13/2020 at 3:03 PM, Nelline said:

I stand to be corrected, but as far as I know, as long as the main applicant activates first, the dependents can activate at a later date as long as it is within the dates given to you by which PR must be activated. 

@MaryJane can you confirm please? 

As most have stated, this is correct.

If arriving separately, main applicant should land first. The type of landing (whether soft or hard) doesn’t change the requirement.

• Like 1

Jules
On 5/23/2019 at 8:17 AM, OutOfSa said:

"Canadian Experience" - it was an absurd concept to me when I arrived - "tut, tut, I'm experienced" - However, after you have been here a few years, you realise just how different the 2 cultures really are and how much you did not fit in when you arrived.

So true. There‚Äôs a massive gap in culture and looking back I now¬†realize just how ‚Äúrough around the edges‚ÄĚ I was when I first started working here 15 years ago. The FOB (fresh off the boat) person usually doesn‚Äôt fit in properly and it takes time to adapt. But some people do NOT adapt and keep on wanting to do things the way it was done back in SA -¬†that new hire becomes a liability so¬†the company eventually fires the person (what they term ‚Äúlet go‚ÄĚ).¬†

If I was hiring and I had 2 candidates and 1 was SAn: I would actually only hire the person if they were by far the strongest candidate because of the challenges of hiring a FOB employee. I’d much rather go with the home grown Canadian. Most employers think that way unfortunately.