OHCANADAAA

May 2019 applications

OHCANADAAA

Let's share progress.

OHCANADAAA

Here is our timeline to date with the associated costs as far as I've kept track:

(Figured a detailed timeline with costs may be useful to new and prospective applicants)

Step Date Days from today Cost (2 people)
IELTS booked 2 Sep 2018 263 R3,460.00
IELTS written 27 Oct 2018 208  
IELTS results 9 Nov 2018 195  
WES documents sent via courier 7 Dec 2018 167 R420.00
WES received documents 16 Jan 2019 127 R6,140.00
WES evaluation completed 4 Feb 2019 108  
Express entry submitted 19 Mar 2019 65  
Express entry invitation 20 Mar 2019 64  
Police clearance application 26 Mar 2019 58 R228.00
Medicals (Hatmed Pretoria) 9 Apr 2019 44 R5,300.00
Police clearance completed 29 Apr 2019 24  
Permanent residence application (AOR) 8 May 2019 15 R24,899.28

R40,447.28

So it's still early days by what I've seen from the other application threads, but we're hoping to be in Toronto by the end of the year and hopefully before winter.

GuylaineW

Hi, I am only starting to get all my info together, for application, so very early, booking my IELTS test, and getting certified documentation for WES. if you don't mind me asking a few questions:
1) Have you applied through an agency?
2) What profession are you in? (I am an Architectural Technologist and my husband a Mechanical Engineer)
3) Have you applied with a PNP or job offer?

sorry for all the questions but its so impressive that you received an ITA the very next day, congratulations! I've been hearing so many discouraging stories about applying so your bit of information is so encouraging!

OHCANADAAA
3 hours ago, GuylaineW said:

Hi, I am only starting to get all my info together, for application, so very early, booking my IELTS test, and getting certified documentation for WES. if you don't mind me asking a few questions:
1) Have you applied through an agency?
2) What profession are you in? (I am an Architectural Technologist and my husband a Mechanical Engineer)
3) Have you applied with a PNP or job offer?

sorry for all the questions but its so impressive that you received an ITA the very next day, congratulations! I've been hearing so many discouraging stories about applying so your bit of information is so encouraging!

Hi,

1) No we didn't use an agent. My sister in law and her husband went through the process about 2 years ago and had walked us through the process. I don't really think it's worth using an agent if your case isn't complicated, everything is very straight forward and well documented on the cic webpage.

2) I'm a Mechanical Engineer and my wife is a Medical Laboratory Technologist and Teacher. In the end my wife had the best score and we also got an extra 15 points for having a direct family member in Canada. We ended up with a score of 455.

3) We didn't apply with PNP or job offer as we luckily had a high enough score for the draw.

The best advice I could give you is to get the IELTS done as soon as possible because the writing section is notoriously hard and can have a big impact on your points. Before going for the test, spend some time looking at examples, checking the specific things they look for and practicing the writing tasks, it's pain but will be well worth it. Best of luck with everything and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

• Like 1

Senta

Hallo GuylaineW

I'm extatic. You have decided to join me in this process. 

I still need my drivers clearance  from eNatis and then I think I'm done  with all the paperwork.  Its a long process  that start with a IELTS test , but worth every drop of sweat. 

I have decided to donate most of my stuff to a charity organisation and only take a few memrobilias with.  I have booked a shared container and will take 2cu meter only.  

See you on the other side.

GuylaineW
16 hours ago, OHCANADAAA said:

Hi,

1) No we didn't use an agent. My sister in law and her husband went through the process about 2 years ago and had walked us through the process. I don't really think it's worth using an agent if your case isn't complicated, everything is very straight forward and well documented on the cic webpage.

2) I'm a Mechanical Engineer and my wife is a Medical Laboratory Technologist and Teacher. In the end my wife had the best score and we also got an extra 15 points for having a direct family member in Canada. We ended up with a score of 455.

3) We didn't apply with PNP or job offer as we luckily had a high enough score for the draw.

The best advice I could give you is to get the IELTS done as soon as possible because the writing section is notoriously hard and can have a big impact on your points. Before going for the test, spend some time looking at examples, checking the specific things they look for and practicing the writing tasks, it's pain but will be well worth it. Best of luck with everything and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

I've calculated my estimate score which works out to 448. Thank you for all the advice! I'm going to do some extras to increase my score in the meantime as I'm waiting until my daughter turns 3 at least before starting the process. to save on childcare costs when we first arrive. All the best for your move and job searching!

GuylaineW
7 hours ago, Senta said:

Hallo GuylaineW

I'm extatic. You have decided to join me in this process. 

I still need my drivers clearance  from eNatis and then I think I'm done  with all the paperwork.  Its a long process  that start with a IELTS test , but worth every drop of sweat. 

I have decided to donate most of my stuff to a charity organisation and only take a few memrobilias with.  I have booked a shared container and will take 2cu meter only.  

See you on the other side.

Hi Senta! I'm really excited too! I am still planning a visit first as Husband would like to experience the country first. I'm already sold. All the best with your move! we will stay in touch! 

Theron

We got here in a bit of a different way - intercompany transfer with work permits. We then decided we will apply for PR seeing as we already had a lot of the documents needed for PR were the same ones needed for the WPs.  

We got everything together, entered the pool, received our ITA and applied on May 2. Hopefully, we will part of the 'normal' six months' group. 

Enjoy the visit @GuylaineW! Make sure to do your research on all the towns and cities you are considering landing in and visit them all. If there is one thing I've learned since getting here is that the culture between cities are very different. Canada is massive, MASSIVE, so it's expected that things would be different across the country. Find the place that fits your 'vibe' and go for it :)

All the best!

GuylaineW

@Theronthank you! We are looking between north Vancouver or Calgary. North Vancouver because I would like BC weather more, and Calgary because my husband might have a job with Debeers soon and if all works out well he might be able to get a transfer. I’m definitely all about research at the moment because I’m only planning on moving in 3 years time when my daughter turns 4. My husband still needs a lot of convincing to actually take the plunge to immigrate that’s why I am planning a trip first. So we are hopefully going to visit both cities. And in the meantime I am going to gather everything we need to make the move. So the day he decides okay let’s do it. All i’ll Have to do is enter the pool 

4DEE
Posted (edited)

Still in the beginning

•  5 March :Received WES Report from WES (B.Tech Electrical engineering) evaluated to Canadian 4 year degree
  •  Currently preparing for IELTS,  planning to book for end of August (exam) and enter EE

Edited by 4DEE
Typo

Flashie

Haven't started anything yet :) Only started my research the past few months.

CorrieB

We are a couple of weeks behind, but we've finally submitted our application on 31 May. And now the wait begins :)

OHCANADAAA

Check out myimmitracker and be sure to create a profile, it's a really great tool for getting a feeling of what the general progress is with applications.

QB87

Submitted 28th of May. 

Will keep you posted :)

Wolverine
On 5/25/2019 at 3:04 PM, GuylaineW said:

@Theronthank you! We are looking between north Vancouver or Calgary. North Vancouver because I would like BC weather more, and Calgary because my husband might have a job with Debeers soon and if all works out well he might be able to get a transfer. I’m definitely all about research at the moment because I’m only planning on moving in 3 years time when my daughter turns 4. My husband still needs a lot of convincing to actually take the plunge to immigrate that’s why I am planning a trip first. So we are hopefully going to visit both cities. And in the meantime I am going to gather everything we need to make the move. So the day he decides okay let’s do it. All i’ll Have to do is enter the pool 

Hi GuylaineW

Immigrating to Canada is very tricky in the sense that conditions change almost every year. I do not know how old you are, but what you think you will save in money by waiting for when your daughter is 3, you might lose in points as age is a non-negligible component of the application. Furthermore, starting when your daughter is 3, you have no guarantee that your process will take less than a year. 

My advice, start now or start never.

Good luck.

OutOfSa
On 5/23/2019 at 1:46 AM, OHCANADAAA said:

So it's still early days by what I've seen from the other application threads, but we're hoping to be in Toronto by the end of the year and hopefully before winter.

:D  Winter's in full swing by the end of the year.

OutOfSa
2 hours ago, Wolverine said:

Hi GuylaineW

Immigrating to Canada is very tricky in the sense that conditions change almost every year. I do not know how old you are, but what you think you will save in money by waiting for when your daughter is 3, you might lose in points as age is a non-negligible component of the application. Furthermore, starting when your daughter is 3, you have no guarantee that your process will take less than a year. 

Good luck.

Wolverine is 100% right in what he says.... sooner is better.... The government may change in October and after that new rules may come into play.  

But, beware the unconvinced partner, that can end very badly.

SA people are accustomed to a certain way of life, it's hard to duplicate that here - so if there's any reluctance on either side, it gets exponentially worse.  If one partner is down, and was reluctant to leave, then it's horrible.  

Also remember that visits can be such fun, immigration is really hard on everyone - be careful not to get swept up in the excitement.  I think living in SA is fraught with risk, and rewards - but for me, having daughters growing up there was a huge worry.  

It only takes one act of violence to shatter our fragile lives. 

I personally disliked the odds, and here I am.  

• Like 1

GuylaineW
On 6/4/2019 at 2:42 AM, Wolverine said:

Hi GuylaineW

Good luck.

Thank you I am 29. I have just been retrenched so there is no better chance to start than now. The construction industry in SA is taking a major down spiral due to the falling economy. It's extremely sad. The rand dropped this week as well so exchange rate just increased by a rand 

Theron
Posted (edited)

Small update from our side.

We applied on May 2 and got a message on June 11, 2019 to resubmit form IMM 5475E again (Release of personal information to a designated individual). Resubmitted it on June 12, 2019.

Also, good news! Our biometrics and medicals done for our WPs in Aug/Sept 2018 was officially accepted for PR on June 11, 2019.

Edited by Theron

OHCANADAAA

We just got our medicals passed and biometrics request (June 17). 40 Days exactly as seems to be the trend.

So great to see movement on the application 😁

Theron

Our application was cancelled yesterday because of the SA police clearance certificates we submitted.

I misunderstood the requirement. As we are already in Canada on WP they require an SA PCC issued AFTER we left SA. Our medicals will also expire in a couple months so we will have to restart the entire process from the beginning again. 

All the best to everyone else. 

OHCANADAAA
23 hours ago, Theron said:

Our application was cancelled yesterday because of the SA police clearance certificates we submitted.

I misunderstood the requirement. As we are already in Canada on WP they require an SA PCC issued AFTER we left SA. Our medicals will also expire in a couple months so we will have to restart the entire process from the beginning again. 

All the best to everyone else. 

That's unfortunate, best of luck with restarting the process, hopefully everything goes smoothly. At least you are already over there, I guess that could help things along.

OHCANADAAA

We quickly did our biometrics this morning at VFS Global in Brooklyn, Pretoria. We decided to try our luck as walk ins (you don't have to make an appointment). Luckily we were done in about 40 minutes so our gamble to pop in without an appointment paid off.

CorrieB

All the best Theron.

Great to hear that you don't have to make an appointment.

I quickly want to know, don't know if anyone has been through a similar experience. My wife is Brazilian. We married in April and received AOR end of May. Now if one marries a foreigner, the foreigner needs to apply for a spousal visa in your country of residence. She had to go back to Brazil, and we are waiting for the abridged marriage certificate as that is what the embassy require. Once we have that, she can apply for a spousal visa and after that we will buy her plane ticket to return to South Africa.

What I just want to know. If we pass our medicals middle of July and we need to do Biometrics, are you able to do it in 2 different countries?

craigza
8 minutes ago, CorrieB said:

What I just want to know. If we pass our medicals middle of July and we need to do Biometrics, are you able to do it in 2 different countries? 

You're able to capture biometrics at any VFS Global / Canada Visa Application Center (CVAC).