TammiM

And so it starts

TammiM

Hey Everyone,

So glad to be apart of this forum. So we have just started out process, by that i mean, passports - check; IELTS - booking. and that's it so far, i know not much of a start but its something.

My husband is an installation electrician and has also done solar. Im not sure if his qualifications are valid in Canada or if he will have to do a conversion coarse/test. We have our own business here and we do well enough, but we have 4 kids and its for their future that we have made this decision. My brother and his family live in Ontario, so we will look at that area. I should not have read the "throwing in the towel" articles, its hard enough hoping that you are making the right decision. if there is anyone else who is an electrician and has gone over we would be really interested in knowing how it went. We have a lady doing a proper resume for him in Canada, as we were told that it is very different from SA's CV. Is it very naive of us to think he would get a job offer while we are still in SA? Our other thought was that he would go and work/set up and then we would go over......HHmmmm thinking about it now, maybe its not a good plan. 

I was a dental assistant but after our second set of twins were born i could not keep up my CPD points, so i guess that is out for me.Any advice, where to from here would be really awesome, well with regards to what we need , tests, forms, otherwise i will look on the subject topics :0). I sound like a ditzy person ,lol!! Ok, well wish us luck

Tammi

MaryJane

Hi @TammiM

Welcome to SACanada.

I can’t help much about getting work before you guys land and have proper documentation, but if you ever get to that stage (got PR, landing and still looking for work), I may be able to hook your husband up then.

All the best.

TammiM

Awesome, thanks so much for the reply.😊

Jules

No it’s not naive to expect a job offer in advance but it is very optimistic. Most people do not manage to pull it off unfortunately. But always remind yourself there’s a difference between difficult and impossible. 

Difficult? Yes. 

Impossible? No. 

TammiM

Aawww thanks Jules, sometimes ignorance is bliss 😊, I still have alot to learn xx

Nelline

We're in the dental field and there's always a demand for good dental assistants. Yes, you may need to do a course or two to get up to speed but I am pretty optimistic you'll find employment. It does, however, depend on the ages of your kids. With four, if they're pre-school age, paying for childcare would probably eat up your salary and it would be advisable to wait going back to full time employment until they're all 4 in school. You could then look at after school care, or work part-time until they're older.