Sign in to follow this  
ReneLestan

Activating PR from within Canada?

ReneLestan

Hi everyone,

Another unusual query from me.

Some background:  I have already had my PR since Feb 2018, and due to relationship timing, my fiance only submitted his application in December 2018.  He has already passed the medical and had his biometrics collected and enrolled.  We are unsure where his application processing is at the moment, but think that there is not really a chance that he will be rejected.  The only oddities about his application is that we used proof of funds under my name (same as I used in my application) with a letter from me stating that the proof of funds will be for both of us.  We included the proof of common law relationship as well.  He also used some of his work experience as a performing musician (his main occupation is university lecturer), and could provide proof of over 10 years experience, with letters from all of the venue owners where he has performed, stating that he was paid in cash.  He unfortunately did not have invoices etc, but did have over 10 letters of reference and recommendation, which we hope will serve as proof, as well as a very active facebook page timeline and magazine and newspaper article features.

My question is, could he go over to Canada on a visitor visa, and activate his PR within Canada?  The 6 month mark is 10 June 2019, and we would like to go over in second half of August and I would like to resign from work middle May.  We were just wondering if anyone knows whether the PR could be activated while in Canada.  I have found information suggesting that this s possible, but no details.  If anyone could even recommend an agent that could advise us on this process that would also be appreciated as we really just want to go now.

Thank you in advance

Rene and Ettienne

MaryJane
14 hours ago, ReneLestan said:

My question is, could he go over to Canada on a visitor visa, and activate his PR within Canada?

He can do what is called “flagpoling”, essentially cross the border going to the US and come back as a PR.

There is caveat on what you want to do though.

You may get asked to prove that he is only going to “visit” Canada and will be going back to SA after, since that is the purpose of a visitors visa.

Most people on work permit flagpole once they get PR.

milo23

We couldn’t flagpole as I was very pregnant and the border is a 6 hour drive from us. I called CIC and they said I could make an appointment with my local CIC office in saskatoon. I got one within 10 days. We did an interview there - asked if employers had changed on work permit etc. 

Very easy. 

• Like 1