RuanP

Looking for a position in Ontario (GTA or Ottawa)

RuanP

Hi guys :)

So I received my permanent residency through family sponsorship. We are landing in Toronto on 16 June and I will immediately be available for literally any position that I can get my hands on, just to avoid diving too deep into our savings. I know this might not be the best approach, but I do understand that Canadian experience is a thing and I am more than willing to work myself up from a entry-level position.

I am in the supply chain industry, so I can work myself back into my industry from almost any job that I get, since most companies essentially have a supply chain and logistics department. As such, it makes my life a bit easier (or so I hope).

I have a degree in Supply Chain Management from the University of Pretoria, I received distinctions in all of my subjects and I have three years of experience working for a logistics consulting firm. I can take on any position whether it is administrative, customer support, data analytics/entry or also warehouse positions. My fiance (who is Canadian, but grew up in South Africa) is an office manager and can do any reception or admin work. She is studying towards her finance degree part-time, and is also available for any open position.

I know this might not be the most conventional way of looking for employment, but as someone who has had to recruit junior employees myself, I know that 90% is about who you know. I am just hoping someone here might be in a position or know anyone who is in a position to maybe help us out. If you do happen to be in Ottawa, we are also looking in Ottawa. The only reason we are landing in Toronto is that the job market there might be a bit more forgiving on newcomers (or at least that is what we assume).

Thanks in advance :)

MelanieJoy
On 4/8/2019 at 5:13 AM, RuanP said:

Hi guys :)

So I received my permanent residency through family sponsorship. We are landing in Toronto on 16 June and I will immediately be available for literally any position that I can get my hands on, just to avoid diving too deep into our savings. I know this might not be the best approach, but I do understand that Canadian experience is a thing and I am more than willing to work myself up from a entry-level position.

I am in the supply chain industry, so I can work myself back into my industry from almost any job that I get, since most companies essentially have a supply chain and logistics department. As such, it makes my life a bit easier (or so I hope).

I have a degree in Supply Chain Management from the University of Pretoria, I received distinctions in all of my subjects and I have three years of experience working for a logistics consulting firm. I can take on any position whether it is administrative, customer support, data analytics/entry or also warehouse positions. My fiance (who is Canadian, but grew up in South Africa) is an office manager and can do any reception or admin work. She is studying towards her finance degree part-time, and is also available for any open position.

I know this might not be the most conventional way of looking for employment, but as someone who has had to recruit junior employees myself, I know that 90% is about who you know. I am just hoping someone here might be in a position or know anyone who is in a position to maybe help us out. If you do happen to be in Ottawa, we are also looking in Ottawa. The only reason we are landing in Toronto is that the job market there might be a bit more forgiving on newcomers (or at least that is what we assume).

Thanks in advance :)

Hi :)

Just another option to put out there - we were originally also looking at Toronto however two months before we landed (Jan 2019) I got a job at Queen's University in Kingston. Although we are not in Toronto we are close enough to visit on train yet have the benefit of lower cost of living and more job opportunities. I know Queen's is currently advertising various positions. My partner is working from Kingston for a Toronto based company so there are a whole lot of options available too :). Sometimes helps to look outside the GTA too! Good luck!

MaryJane

Hi @RuanP

I don’t have much help in ways of knowing any hiring consultants at the moment, but I do regularly post here when my company looks for people.

I hope you guys find something soon though. Good luck and safe travels!