Moni5

Getting PR card to SA

Moni5

Hi everyone. 

It's been a while since I've posted anything. We received PR in January this year after waiting for almost a year. We are incredibly grateful for this opportunity. We had the shortest visa ever and had literally 2 weeks to land and activate PR. 

We went on a LSD trip in the beginning of March for 2 weeks and had a look at various areas in Toronto. I've always wanted to go to Banff (dream of mine since 18) so we took a trip to Calgary. it was about a 2 hour drive to Banff from the airport. I cannot describe how incredible this place was, it exceeded my expectations. it was also the first time I'd ever felt snow. Will have to write up about our LSD trip under the correct topic 😉

We are back in SA now and our fellow friends in Toronto advised that are PR cards arrived. I know we will not be able to get back in without the card or travel document. the immigration officer told us not to post it because they will intercept the parcel. How did everyone else get their cards? Can applying for the travel document count against one when eventually applying for citizenship (heard this)? has anyone tried to use a courier? 

• Like 1

MaryJane

I suspect most use courier to get it across the pond (I say this in a hush-hush tone). The immigration officer is correct. I have heard they do intercept when PR cards are sent via courier, but I think it still happens a lot anyway.

Some may have a physical person who’s travelling and get it delivered that way.

There’s nothing negative about getting a travel document so this shouldn’t really count against you for citizenship (I’ve never heard it that way....). The whole point of the travel document is so that you could get back into Canada when you don’t have a PR card. I think what is frowned upon is getting PR and staying away for far too long before settling in Canada, but that should hardly be an issue. Everyone’s got their own personal story, so it’s only natural that each should be told differently.

MartinG

Hi Moni5,

How long did it take for the cards to arrive?

NW18
21 hours ago, Moni5 said:

Hi everyone. 

It's been a while since I've posted anything. We received PR in January this year after waiting for almost a year. We are incredibly grateful for this opportunity. We had the shortest visa ever and had literally 2 weeks to land and activate PR. 

We went on a LSD trip in the beginning of March for 2 weeks and had a look at various areas in Toronto. I've always wanted to go to Banff (dream of mine since 18) so we took a trip to Calgary. it was about a 2 hour drive to Banff from the airport. I cannot describe how incredible this place was, it exceeded my expectations. it was also the first time I'd ever felt snow. Will have to write up about our LSD trip under the correct topic 😉

We are back in SA now and our fellow friends in Toronto advised that are PR cards arrived. I know we will not be able to get back in without the card or travel document. the immigration officer told us not to post it because they will intercept the parcel. How did everyone else get their cards? Can applying for the travel document count against one when eventually applying for citizenship (heard this)? has anyone tried to use a courier? 

I have read on other blogs of people sending their pr cards to their friends and relatives via courier service. In your situation the best option is to get in touch with the Canadian High Commission to get advice. Perhaps a travel document can be issued in your case.

Wish you luck with everything!😀

Moni5

Thank you everyone. We will rather not take the chance with the courier. 

Will look into it and apply for the travel document to be on the safe side. 

@MartinG it was quick, about 3 weeks.

@NW18  and @MaryJane Thank you very much.

xxx