Seth

Unabridged Documents

Seth

Hi all,

My wife and I are in the process of getting all our documents ready for the big move at the end of the year. I was just wondering last night - I assume that one needs an unabridged marriage certificate - but is it required for me have an unabridged birth certificate or will my passport do?

Thanks!

LidiaS77
Posted (edited)

Hi @Seth,

It is not required to have an unabridged marriage certificate. If you look at the official instructions you will see it says "marriage certificate" and not "unabridged marriage certificate". We applied for EE (FSW) with just our handwritten marriage certificate and didn't experience any problems. For EE (FSW) unabridged birth certificates are necessary for children. I used mine only to prove my relation to family in Canada for which we claimed points. We received my husband's unabridged birth certificate and our unabridged marriage certificate after we've already received our PR visas in our passports, a few days before flying to Canada. We eventually used DocAssist after waiting for my husband's certificate for more than 9 months. We've been in Canada for two years now and have never needed these documents so far, but they might be necessary if we want to sponsor parents in the future. It would be best to get these documents while you are still in South Africa in case you need them in the future. I've been told that the ink can fade on the handwritten marriage certificate so it would be a good idea to have the unabridged one too. I've seen people insist that you need these documents for your application, but it might be because they were told that by an immigration agency as there is nowhere in the actual official application that you have to upload birth certificates for adults (copy of passport, yes). My advice would be to apply for the documents but don't let waiting for them delay your application or cause a panic. If you still don't have them when leaving for Canada you can ask DocAssist or similar to help you get them, this usually takes a week or so. If this is not possible, remember that family can also apply and collect unabridged birth certificates on your behalf. This is for EE (FSW), there might be other rules for other streams so just double-check.

Edited by LidiaS77

Seth
18 hours ago, LidiaS77 said:

children

Hi @LidiaS77,

Thank you so much for this. We were thinking of doing it anyway - just to cover all our bases. But apparently, it can take up to 6 months (or 9 in your case :( ) to get it back as Home Affairs is ... well ... Home Affairs. We don't have any children yet, we just didn't want to apply for ITA and the only thing that's holding us back is that darned document. But thank you for putting my mind at ease :)

• Like 1

LislB
21 hours ago, LidiaS77 said:

I used mine only to prove my relation to family in Canada for which we claimed points. 

Hi @LidiaS77. Can I PM you about this?

Thanks

LidiaS77
1 hour ago, LislB said:

Can I PM you about this?

You're very welcome to @LislB 😊

LouiseV36

Just a sidenote - I was very shocked yesterday.  Three weeks ago I applied for an unabridged birth certificate for myself and my husband as well as our unabridged marriage certificate.  They advised it will take 3 to 8 months.  I received an sms yesterday to say my unabridged birth certificate was ready for collection.  Just waiting on my husbands one and our marriage certificate.  

I went to Chatsworth Home Affairs - took me 20 minutes to do.  They were friendly and there was no line.   The longest part about the whole thing was filling in the forms. 

Seth

Wow, way to go Home Affairs. 😅