Guest Rikus

Engineering opportunities

Guest Rikus

Finished my master in mechanical engineering last year. I am struggling to find a job in South Africa and would like to know if there are any opportunities in Canada and what should be my approach and where should I start looking.   Any websites or recruitment agencies that could help. 

Lizelle

Are you looking at Canada specifically?

You will find a job about 1000x easier in NZ (plus to register as an engineer there is a 2 week process that will cost you maybe $1000). Plus, you get a work permit in about 5 days. So, 1 - 2 months from now you can be there working (depending on how quickly you are willing to pack and move).

Next would be Australia. It is more expensive to register there, but my very unscientific guess would be that you would get a job about 500x easier than Canada.

Best case scenario for Canada is that you have enough points to be drawn on the first draw after you enter EE. You still need to do WES and IELTS before you can go into the draw. Last estimate I remember for WES was 16 weeks.  In the same time you will hopefully also do your IELTS. So, 4 months from now you go into the draw. I will be very surprised if you have your PR visa within 6 months after that. I am going to guess that you will be able to land next year this time. 

Getting a job offer in Canada is pretty hard. Maybe because you have a masters it makes it easier, but registering as an engineer is hard from what I understand. 

I would look on seek.co.nz and see what you can see there that looks promising, apply and see what answers you get in return. Even if you don’t want to stay in NZ, it allows you time to make proper money that don’t depreciate as you look at it. It also gives you experience in a country that Canadians can find on a map. If you want to move later on, then you have made yourself a lot more marketable.

Jules

Lizelle it sounds like the OP just qualified and would not have any post grad work experience - mentions being unable to find a job in SA so I assume they are not working ? Getting a job offer anywhere is going to be a challenge. Even in NZ. 

Lizelle
Posted (edited)

Maybe.  But normally you would have worked a little through your studies, especially if you went all the way to Masters.  My brother had no problem getting a job in NZ, a few months after he finished is BTec (something something, the two year degree thing you do for engineering rather than the normal university degree).  He did not have a lot of experience.  

Struggling to get a job in South Africa may have to do with affirmative action, rather than anything experience wise.  

Point is, even if the OP has zero experience, you can get an entry level position in NZ and get a WP pretty easily. 

If you look at this list, all engineering falls under the Long Term Skills Shortage List - http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/long-term-skill-shortage-list.pdf

This means that the employer don't have to prove that no NZer is available to do the job (although even if they did the rules are pretty easy).  Also, as you can see on the list, although some categories have an extra requirement for experience, engineering only has a requirement for qualifications.

There same can definitely not be said for getting a job in Canada.

Edited by Lizelle

Jules

Oh I wasn’t aware that NZ would do WP even for entry level jobs. That definitely doesn’t happen here. 

Lizelle
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Jules said:

Oh I wasn’t aware that NZ would do WP even for entry level jobs. That definitely doesn’t happen here. 

Yip, it definitely makes a big difference.  As long as your offer is more than ... NZ$45,000 I think (which would be around the same as CAN$45,000 in terms of buying power and level of work) they don't care what level the position is.  The general official position in NZ seem to be that if the employer is willing to offer you a job, then they will give you a WP.

Edited by Lizelle

hdub07

I found getting a job in engineering (electronics) in Northern Ontario, whilst in SA, to be impossible. Loads of applications went unanswered. One such position was one that was essentially a 100% match for my résumé... and it was posted 4 times. 

Eventually, once I got to Canada, I enrolled in a program called “Professions North” and a sister program called “Mining Professionals Immigrant Network”. They helped with getting my résumé to match the Canadian expectations, and meeting with various players in the sector. I would suggest having a look at those avenues.