Tahlita

Canadian schooling system

Tahlita

Hi all 

I have a few questions regarding the schools in Canada.

What level of education do SA schools compare to, are we behind in terms of the education the Canadian schools offer?

I've been told that classes are shared. For example the Gr 1's and 2's are together in one class. 

Private schools are apparently not like that but at what cost? 

Our daughter is 7 this year. What phase will she slot into and will she cope will the new school system and work?

I believe the semesters start in September?

As for our 4 year old... Would he need to go to kindergarten? 

Are all schools free? Do they wear uniform and are parents responsible for school lunches and stationary?

How have your children adapted? Has there been any bullying and do they get called out for being from another country? 

Have your kids made friends easily?

I apologize for all the questions. I suppose I'm just the typical overly concerned parent. Our biggest concern is that the kids won't be happy and miss SA. 

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

Many thanks 

Tahlita 

poorguy

Schooling to me is the biggest plus point that Canada has to offer. The public schools here are free and you can compare them to the old model c schools in SA I guess ( the teacher student ratio is quite good).

Private education here is expensive I believe, I didn't look into it. My daughter was 5 when she joined senior kindergarten and then amount of improvement I see in her is amazing - the education here is top notch. My son will then 4 next year and he will then attend junior kindergarten.

Semester starts in September, and kids make friends very easily, much easier than us adults;)

Jules

Trust me - if your kids are young they will be least of your problems for settling in. They take to school here like a fish in water.  Don’t worry about private. The need for private schools here is nothing like SA. Very few people send their kids to private school. Even wealthy people tend to send their kids to the public schools. Private a waste of money unless you are uber rich. 

MaryJane

I've never had issues with both my kids going through the public school system. When we landed a few years ago, my eldest was placed in Grade 11 and my youngest was placed in Grade 3. Both adapted well to school life.

My youngest was slightly older than her Grade 3 classmates and after the year ended, she was pushed up to Grade 5, with same-age kids. She struggled a little to catch up, but the school and teachers were very supportive and she was up to speed in no time at all. She also missed her SA friends at first, but attending school and making new friends do help get over the "missing" part.

Both my kids went to Catholic public schools. The high school had uniforms while the elementary did not.

I did not pay anything for schools. I took care of lunch. A stationery list is normally given to the kids so that we can buy them as required.

The classrooms are so diverse and multi-cultural where we are that it is hard for anyone to call out someone else for being a foreigner without relating that comment to the next kid. I've not had this kind of experience with my kids at all.

Tahlita

Thanks for the reply MJ. 

This pretty much sums up all my questions and concerns.

I think we as parents worry so much as is that making such a big decision that will impact their little lives so much is really even more scary than most things.