Sam

Ottawa - need to know

Sam

Hi Guys,

I will be arriving in Ottawa early in April, and after a weekend, I will move on to Iqaluit. I will need to buy a couple of things in Ottawa: cellphone and best cellphone deal, SIM card for iPad, bed sheets, etc. 

I will also need a cheapish place to stay for two to four nights - any suggestions?

I will really appreciate your advice.

Kind regards,

sam

Nettie

Hi Sam. It will be best to find out from the place you're heading to in Iqaluit, who they need as a cell phone provider. I'm not sure if the cheaper cell phone companies would have coverage there. I'll let others chime in as far as sheets is concerned. Good luck!

Nelline

Definitely Airbnb for the clean, cost effective accommodation. Check out IKEA for bedding etc maybe even Walmart. Bed Bath and Beyond has good quality but they can be pricey. Agree 100% with @Nettie on the cellphone coverage - you need to buy sims from a company that has good coverage where you're headed

Sam

Baie dankie vir die raad - ek het vergeet van Ikea! Air B&B is ‘n puik idee. Volgens inligting wat ek uit Iqaluit gekry het is Bell en Tellus die twee diensverkaffers daar. Hier koop mens ‘n 24 maande kontrak wat die foon en ‘n sekere hoeveelheid oproepe en data ingesluit is. Of jy kan ‘n foon koop en dan tyd koop op ‘n pay as you go. Hoe werk dit in Kanada?

Groete

Sam

PhilipCX

Hi Sam

Probeer Hotels.com want baie van die plekke het free cancellation as jou planne verander of as jy langer/ korter wil bly. Jy kry ook 'n free night vir elke 10 dae wat jy deur hulle book. Hou maar net jou oe oop vir "hidden costs" by sekere van die plekke.

Groete

Nettie

Click top left on "shop" and a drop down menu will give you different options to choose from:

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/content/my-telus?linktype=ge-mainnav

Ek het Telus prepaid al gebruik en was baie gelukkig daarmee. Het my eie telefoon gekoop. As jy in Iqaluit gaan werk, kan jy dalk vir jou employer vra of hulle 'n kontrak het met Bell of Telus, wat dalk dan beter rates vir jou kan gee.

M-N
14 hours ago, Sam said:

Baie dankie vir die raad - ek het vergeet van Ikea! Air B&B is ‘n puik idee. Volgens inligting wat ek uit Iqaluit gekry het is Bell en Tellus die twee diensverkaffers daar. Hier koop mens ‘n 24 maande kontrak wat die foon en ‘n sekere hoeveelheid oproepe en data ingesluit is. Of jy kan ‘n foon koop en dan tyd koop op ‘n pay as you go. Hoe werk dit in Kanada?

Groete

Sam

Look into public mobile. They use the telus network. We use it ourselves and pay 120 every 3 months. You can build your own package.  You just need your own phone.  

Here's the coverage map, looks like it covers your area: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/nu/coverage

Sam
10 hours ago, M-N said:

Look into public mobile. They use the telus network. We use it ourselves and pay 120 every 3 months. You can build your own package.  You just need your own phone.  

Here's the coverage map, looks like it covers your area: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/nu/coverage

Thanks Everybody, this is all good advice, and a bit overwhelming. Phones are expensive in Canada and the different deals are just as expensive as in SA. I'll take some time to find a deal or plan that will work for me. Basically I want an iPhone 6+ or 8+ and a deal that will allow me a couple of local calls, some Canada wide calls, calls to SA and enough data for WhatsApp and Face Time communication. I will get a SIM card for my iPad for surfing the web and checking mail. Years ago there was a thing called REBTEL through which you could make free calls to SA - does it still exist and is anyone using it?

Sam

MaryJane

Hi @Sam!

With the existence of so many social apps that offer calling nowadays, all you’d really need is reliable internet. 😉

I had a look at Rebtel’s website to check out pricing and saw that for $5, you can get 35 minutes of calls to SA. There are some slightly cheaper options. I normally use Skype to go, which currently is at $3.99 for 100 minutes or a month (whichever one ends earliest). I rarely phone SA so this works for me. I just deactivate my Skype to go subscription when I no longer need it. Another option I’ve used are phone cards. I bought one a few years back and a $2 card lasted I’d say around 30-45 minutes (it could have been more as it was split into 3 calls).

Nowadays we simply use FB Messenger, WhatsApp or Viber.

Sam
3 hours ago, MaryJane said:

Hi @Sam!

With the existence of so many social apps that offer calling nowadays, all you’d really need is reliable internet. 😉

I had a look at Rebtel’s website to check out pricing and saw that for $5, you can get 35 minutes of calls to SA. There are some slightly cheaper options. I normally use Skype to go, which currently is at $3.99 for 100 minutes or a month (whichever one ends earliest). I rarely phone SA so this works for me. I just deactivate my Skype to go subscription when I no longer need it. Another option I’ve used are phone cards. I bought one a few years back and a $2 card lasted I’d say around 30-45 minutes (it could have been more as it was split into 3 calls).

Makes sense. I think I will go that way.

Sam

M-N
19 hours ago, Sam said:

Thanks Everybody, this is all good advice, and a bit overwhelming. Phones are expensive in Canada and the different deals are just as expensive as in SA. I'll take some time to find a deal or plan that will work for me. Basically I want an iPhone 6+ or 8+ and a deal that will allow me a couple of local calls, some Canada wide calls, calls to SA and enough data for WhatsApp and Face Time communication. I will get a SIM card for my iPad for surfing the web and checking mail. Years ago there was a thing called REBTEL through which you could make free calls to SA - does it still exist and is anyone using it?

Sam

I got a iPhone 7 for 400$ second hand almost half of what it costs new.  If you go with Shaw for Internet at home you'll also have access to shawopen so if any store or coffee shop has shawopen you'll be able to use their network.  I tried to see if its covered in your area so just check that.  

Nettie
On 2/28/2019 at 5:25 AM, MaryJane said:

......... Another option I’ve used are phone cards. I bought one a few years back and a $2 card lasted I’d say around 30-45 minutes (it could have been more as it was split into 3 calls).

I have used Walmart pre-paid international calling cards. I can't remember the rate, but a 10$ card lasted me very long. I call SA every 1-2 weeks. It's helpful if your family doesn't have enough data to use the apps for calling.