Dragyn

Throwing the towel

Dragyn

I never got there, but after 3 years of looking, interviewing, submitting 100's of resume's, it is time to throw the towel in.

I don't have the strength left to keep looking and submitting every day. To build up my familiy's hopes when I have an interview only to have them dashed when the company 'ghosts' you afterwards.

Thank you to everybody that has answered my questions and provided guidance, it is appreciated.

To those venturing into this, I wish you good fortune and more success than I had.

This is Dragyn, over and out

• Sad 1

Lizelle

I am sorry.  Canada is really completely idiotic in their immigration process.  

I don't know if I have said it to you before (I say this to as many people as I can that struggle to get into Canada), but have you looked at NZ?  

On the face of it, if you just go on the NZ website and see how much points you have, it seems impossible.  The NZ system is set up that the people that gets a job offer gets enough points.  The difference is that it is extremely easy to get a work permit.  My brothers partner got her permit in 5 days (and it was not on a critical skills list or anything, just a standard permit).  

I don't know anything about your experience, but check on here - https://www.seek.co.nz/ - and see how much work there is available in your field.  If there is enough availability, employers in NZ is perfectly happy to apply for a work permit.

Dragyn
28 minutes ago, Lizelle said:

I am sorry.  Canada is really completely idiotic in their immigration process.  

I don't know if I have said it to you before (I say this to as many people as I can that struggle to get into Canada), but have you looked at NZ?  

On the face of it, if you just go on the NZ website and see how much points you have, it seems impossible.  The NZ system is set up that the people that gets a job offer gets enough points.  The difference is that it is extremely easy to get a work permit.  My brothers partner got her permit in 5 days (and it was not on a critical skills list or anything, just a standard permit).  

I don't know anything about your experience, but check on here - https://www.seek.co.nz/ - and see how much work there is available in your field.  If there is enough availability, employers in NZ is perfectly happy to apply for a work permit.

Thanks @Lizelle, we looked at NZ now as well (my brother just went over in less than 5 months from when he started looking), but unfortunately my wife's medical condition (rheumatoid arthritis) is a disqualifying condition for Immigration NZ, so we would never get residence there (unless we were refugees or asylum seekers :( ). And just when I was about to have my second interview with a company that side.

Aus, Ireland? Who knows. I'll spend some time on those two options for a while, but in all honesty we are emotionally drained at this point.

Lizelle

Boy, that sucks.

I don't know how far you looked at the medical waiver (and forgive me if you have looked at this six ways to Sunday), but it seems that depending on the severity of her case, it may not be automatically disqualifying.  

This company lists the automatically disqualifying cases: https://www.new-zealand-immigration.com/immigration-points-guide/health-requirements/

Earlier rules (don't know if it still applies) state that you should not cost the system more than NZ$41,000 (I believe this is lifetime, but somewhere I read 5 years).  

If you haven't yet, it may be something to discuss with a NZ immigration lawyer and see if you can get a definitive yes or no or maybe.  NZ immigration officials are also generally fairly responsive to  queries, it might not be a bad idea to phone them and check before you completely give up on NZ.

Either way, sterkte (I have yet to find an English word to convey the same sentiment).

• Like 2

Nettie
On 2/26/2019 at 12:13 PM, Lizelle said:

This company lists the automatically disqualifying cases: https://www.new-zealand-immigration.com/immigration-points-guide/health-requirements/

Yes, find out if there's a waiver that can be filed and how, from an attorney. You may run into this with any country with universal health care.

Edit: I checked that link quickly and conditions such as RA is not on there as something that they would not give you a waiver for.

Edited by Nettie

Dragyn

Thanks for the words, we have looked at it every way and gotten advice from an immigration lawyer

Section 4.10.1 of the Immigration Operational Manual
Severe autoimmune disease which may require treatment in New Zealand with immune-suppressant medications other than Prednisone, Methotrexate, Azathioprine or Salazopyrin

Whilst she does use Methotrexate, it is not the 'major' drug in her treatment.

I haven't thought about phoning NZ immigration directly, maybe I'll give that a shot as well.

PS. When we spoke to one of the approved doctors when we started looking at Canada, he said it wasn't a problem as long as it was under control with the medication, which it is. And Aus only worry if you have Aids or TB, so we good on that count :)

Edited by Dragyn
  • Like 1

Lizelle

Good luck. 

If you can get into Aus, that may be the best second option.  You can look at it 2 ways.  If you have Oz PR, then you can move to NZ on the Oz PR without the medical requirements from what I can see.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/visa-factsheet/australian-resident-visa?_ga=2.230807647.1797852968.1551378477-1628856029.1551378477#overview

That allows you to stay in NZ indefinitely.  You can work and everything.  It is essentially NZ PR.  After 5 years, you can apply for NZ citizenship

https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/why-choose-nz/compare-new-zealand/australia#section--11

There does not seem to be any medical requirements for citizenship application.

Or you can simply go to Oz and stay there and see if you like it.