Sign in to follow this  
vdL

IELTS advice

vdL

Hi All,

I am looking to apply for EE at the end of Mei to be able to be with my Canadian girlfriend as soon as possible. Living in Cape Town I see the IELTS test fill up really quickly. At this point, the earliest available date is 27 April. From the points calculator, I get 469 if I score CLB 9 but only 387 for CLB 8. So it is very important that I do very well in the test > (R7 W7 L8 S7). I am afraid that if I slip up then the next available date will cause another couple of months delay before I can apply.

I am considering just booking 11 May 2019 as a safety net since if I don't achieve CLB9 the first time around I can rewrite without delay. What are your thoughts on this? Any advice would be really helpful!

Thanks!

PhilipCX

Instead of paying for an extra test, why don't you try and book the online IELTS test in Joburg and spend the extra money on a plain ticket? Apparently there are more dates and results are out quicker. Also, immigration doesn't happen overnight so in my opinion don't rush anything, getting your final PR documents will take months anyway. 

vdL
4 minutes ago, PhilipCX said:

Instead of paying for an extra test, why don't you try and book the online IELTS test in Joburg and spend the extra money on a plain ticket? Apparently there are more dates and results are out quicker. Also, immigration doesn't happen overnight so in my opinion don't rush anything, getting your final PR documents will take months anyway. 

I was thinking about doing this, but the Speaking test is not always at the same time as the written test. And I can't afford to take leave to do this.

PhilipCX

JA, that could be a problem. We motivated it to the examiners twice that we were flying in from Knysna (we wrote in Pta) and if they could please accommodate us on the day and both times they did so on the Saturday. 

vdL
15 minutes ago, PhilipCX said:

JA, that could be a problem. We motivated it to the examiners twice that we were flying in from Knysna (we wrote in Pta) and if they could please accommodate us on the day and both times they did so on the Saturday. 

Good to know, thanks. Maybe something to consider as a fallback and just back myself to do well.

PhilipCX

Just some advice from an Afrikaans bloke, spend your prep time as follows:

Reading - 10%

Listening - 10%

Speaking - 15%

Writing - 65%

• Thanks 1

Amy G
5 hours ago, vdL said:

I am considering just booking 11 May 2019 as a safety net since if I don't achieve CLB9 the first time around I can rewrite without delay. What are your thoughts on this? Any advice would be really helpful!

We did this for my hubby - he got top bands in all categories on his 4th attempt :) 

Also another thing to try is to check available seats every day. People cancel and a seat opens up, giving you a chance to quickly book it. 

The last 2 tests we booked for him we managed to get last minute spots due to cancellations. 

• Thanks 1

NW18

Let’s assume you don’t get the desired scores in the first attempt, you can then book for next available date which might be only in a month’s time. However in the meantime you can get everything g ready on your profile and then o Lu upload your IELTS result when it’s out. We did this and got the ITA 2 days later. 

Booking an extra test date in advance also means that you at taking a chance as it may not be required. As pointed out earlier, things take long at every step of immigration. This won’t cause that much of a delay.

GeneeP

HELP!

I got my IETLS scores back today, and am SHOCKED at how low some of my points are!!!! I am fluent in English, it is my first language and I have 3 university degrees in English. My overall band is 7, S8.5; R5.5; W7.0; L7.0

I checked using the ca.gov CRS calculator that this has dropped my CRS score SIGNIFICANTLY from what i predicted. now I'm in the low 300s!!!. Again, I am shocked. Do I really have to take this test again!!?? How will I possibly increase my chances for a better score? I have no idea how to prepare better. please help, I'm devastated....

GuyRussy

Hi @GeneeP, sorry about your IELTS results. The test catches a lot of people out, especially those fluent in English. 

I would recommend preparing thoroughly for all sections of the exam. I know the British Council provides a few links for preparing. I made use of "Liz IELTS" on YouTube which helped a lot. 

To prepare better, for example, your writing could be more formalised and structured (Intro, Body, Conclusion). Reading requires matching concepts to a body of text, you can only do this by practicing a few exercises.  

Unfortunately, I don't think a remark is worth it in your case, given how low your reading score is. Hence, you'll have to re-write IELTS. 

GeneeP

Thank you so much @GuyRussy Makes me feel a bit better that others have had to rewrite too it seems. next available slot only in 2month's time, so frustrating. But your advice is really helpful thanks. I also heard about a workshop offered that I will look in to maybe. 

GuyRussy

Pleasure @GeneeP, you can nail that test, just put in some more practice and pursue the workshop if you feel the need to. Remember, a lot of people write IELTS and English is not their first language, so it's definitely possible for you to score high and claim the max points you need to get an ITA - go get it!

GrantM
4 hours ago, GeneeP said:

HELP!

I got my IETLS scores back today, and am SHOCKED at how low some of my points are!!!! I am fluent in English, it is my first language and I have 3 university degrees in English. My overall band is 7, S8.5; R5.5; W7.0; L7.0

I checked using the ca.gov CRS calculator that this has dropped my CRS score SIGNIFICANTLY from what i predicted. now I'm in the low 300s!!!. Again, I am shocked. Do I really have to take this test again!!?? How will I possibly increase my chances for a better score? I have no idea how to prepare better. please help, I'm devastated....

I'm not sure which stream you are applying for but for express entry I think you need a 6.0 minimum in each category, so even though you see that it affected your score you probably couldn't even use these results anyway.

Perhaps you just had an "off day", it does happen. With a high speaking score like that it is pretty obvious that you have no problem communicating in English. It may not be the case with you but I have said this before in this thread. You need to study and practice your :censored: off, there are techniques that you need to learn to maximize your scores and a lot of English people think that they don't need to because they have been English their whole lives. The truth is that we develop bad habits. I learned this lesson back in high school when we had an influx of Afrikaans kids come to our school because of the better sporting opportunities. They were as Afrikaans as you can get, yet they got better marks in English first language than so many English kids. That is because they studied it, they practiced it and they were learning it fresh without bad habits.

That is the approach that is needed by most of us needing to pass IELTS with high scores. Good luck with your next one, be prepared and you will smash it!

Nelline
3 hours ago, GrantM said:

I'm not sure which stream you are applying for but for express entry I think you need a 6.0 minimum in each category, so even though you see that it affected your score you probably couldn't even use these results anyway.

Perhaps you just had an "off day", it does happen. With a high speaking score like that it is pretty obvious that you have no problem communicating in English. It may not be the case with you but I have said this before in this thread. You need to study and practice your :censored: off, there are techniques that you need to learn to maximize your scores and a lot of English people think that they don't need to because they have been English their whole lives. The truth is that we develop bad habits. I learned this lesson back in high school when we had an influx of Afrikaans kids come to our school because of the better sporting opportunities. They were as Afrikaans as you can get, yet they got better marks in English first language than so many English kids. That is because they studied it, they practiced it and they were learning it fresh without bad habits.

That is the approach that is needed by most of us needing to pass IELTS with high scores. Good luck with your next one, be prepared and you will smash it!

This is so true. My husband is Afrikaans 1st Language, yet he got top scores in all 4 bands - all he did in advance was to go through some YouTube videos on "tips and tricks" and he did a few practice tests.  He said it was more about learning "what they are looking for / want" and being prepared on "how they present the tests" than anything else.

GeneeP

thanks @GrantM and @Nelline I appreciate the advice. just booked another one for 12 october and will definitely prepare my :censored: off.