Raymond&Chantelle

Planning LSD for mid 2019

Raymond&Chantelle

Good day ladies and gentlemen

My wife and I'm planning a LSD trip mid 2019.

We are planning to visit Toronto and then Alberta Edmonton area.

I'm looking for advise. What airline is best to travel with? I got quotes from Ethiopia airline and Lufthansa, as they are the cheapest.

I did some research on these airlines and got a lot of negative feedback from the sites. Has anyone traveled with the recently?

We also have a infant that will travel with us, also makes the choosing of a airline difficult.

With visa application and biometric's  did you do it online or at the Embassy in PTA? Is it necessary for a infant to have a passport and visa application? 

We are busy with the unabridged birth and marriage certificate.

I'm a qualified millwright. How did you go about arranging job interviews from here? Did you work through a recruitment agency? 

Travel and medical insurance, I have read somewhere that if you are insured with Discovery that they cover you as long as your premium is paid and you inform them of your travel.

I bank with ABSA and heard you don't have to get a credit card to use there. You can use your normal debt card, you just need to inform the of your travels.

Where did you exchange Rand to Canadian Dollar? Is this facility available in Canada?

How good is the public transport in these cities, or will a hired car be better to get around.

Will I be able to use SA cellular number in Canada or use a Canadian network and phone?

And anything else I missed. 

Thanks in advance 

Raymond

Jules

I travelled on Ethiopian Air about 2 years ago. Was ok for the price. Nothing fancy but they got me safely from Canada to SA and back home to Canada. 

MaryJane
15 hours ago, Raymond&Chantelle said:

Travel and medical insurance, I have read somewhere that if you are insured with Discovery that they cover you as long as your premium is paid and you inform them of your travel.

Yes, but it’s always good to get confirmation. Contact Discovery and find out what they do and don’t cover. That way you can assess if you need to find an alternative.

Where did you exchange Rand to Canadian Dollar? Is this facility available in Canada?

With the bank...in South Africa. Personally, I’d do this before travelling.

Will I be able to use SA cellular number in Canada or use a Canadian network and phone?

Yes. You may need to check with your provider whether you’ve got roaming on. Roaming charges can be expensive so do be aware of that.

LaraDK
9 hours ago, Raymond&Chantelle said:

With visa application and biometric's  did you do it online or at the Embassy in PTA? Is it necessary for a infant to have a passport and visa application? 

I'm a qualified millwright. How did you go about arranging job interviews from here? Did you work through a recruitment agency? 

How good is the public transport in these cities, or will a hired car be better to get around.

1. You will need to do biometrics in Pretoria.

2. As far as I know, you are not permitted to do job interviews while on a tourist visa. Double check this - not worth the risk IMO.

3. Discovery will cover you for 90 days from the day you leave SA. I made use of this and the claim process was not a hassle. Just keep all the paperwork.

4. Public transport is safe, reliable and fairly cheap. However, if you are not staying in the downtown core, it will take a lot longer to get anywhere. It may be worth it to rent a car for at least part of the trip to make things faster and easier.

5. You can get a Canadian sim for calls and data at the airport. Roaming is going to cost you an arm and a leg. You can pick up a prepaid sim that gives you free Canada wide calls and sms plus 2-3GB of data for about $45. (see for example Chatr, although there are loads of options). 

Best of luck with your trip!

Raymond&Chantelle

image.png.d93cb6fd9057fd3dcf055d2d90b4fe16.png

I got this, but its a bit old November 2017.

Think it says you can search for work but you can only apply for work after you are back in your home country.

tripwireza

I am also going this year. I don`t have enough points for express entry (300 ish due to my age although I have 20 years experience and verified degree and IELTS but not the 450 required to be picked) so I need the extra 200 Points a work Offer will provide . Neither redoing my IELTS to get over a 8 or doing a Masters will make up for the points I am loosing per year , they can gain me to a max of 350 . All the jobs (Canada and NZ) want you to be seated at the other end of the table in Canada for the Interview, they will not pick you while you are sitting in SA unless you are already working for the SA branch or the 0.01 % lucky. Even immigration agencies will tell you the same if you are in the same boat as me , this is your only option ... make it or break it. I have been eyeing immigration and doing homework with agencies for 5 years so I know I have exhausted all options and know their common reply

Edited by tripwireza