Sign in to follow this  
Annique

Human Resources vacancies

Annique

Has anyone successfully immigrated recently with an HR qualification?

I have an HR degree (equal to 3 year canadian degree) and currently busy with my Hons in Leadership Development. We are just over 400 points, but once we get our qualifications end of 2019 we'll have over 440 points.

I have 10+ years experience as a HR professional. 

I am the main applicant on our EE profile and I've applied for a few jobs on Jobbank with no success.

I'm looking to find a job ANYWHERE in Canada. I've shown interest to all provinces where a job offer isn't required, but I haven't heard anything.

Any advice, motivation and/or help will be greatly appreciated.

I feel like our efforts are constantly falling short or are we wasting our time? 

Lizelle

Have you looked at NZ or Oz?  It can be really, seriously hard (read, just shy of impossible) to get a job offer in Canada even when your skills are in demand.  

Employers just don't want to go through the hassle of getting an LMIA and waiting for you for months.  I have no idea what the HR space looks like, but I would be seriously surprised if an employer would be able to prove that they cannot find a Canadian for the position.  

Edited by Lizelle

Annique

Ouch! I was hoping for a more positive turn on that. But thank you for your feedback. 😊

I'll look into other countries, but our first option has always been Canada. I'll be really sad to have to change our dreams because of this. 

We'll keep on trying - I've seen a post before indicating that someone somewhere will be willing to take a chance on us. Also, my Leadership Development (Coaching) qualification is a very specific qualification and might be helpful. 

Here's to hoping and praying that something will work out.

Will it help to come to Canada for 2 months and apply for jobs while we are there?

Edited by Annique

jimmy

Hi @Annique Don't get despondent, miracles happen!! You just have to keep trying (and praying). After our second IELTS disappointment, I decided not to let that test alone decide our fate and started approaching people directly on LinkedIn. The forth company I approached indicated they wanted to have a conversation with me and after several correspondence and skype calls since then, I'm leaving for Canada in less than a month for an LSD trip to meet up with the employer to finalize things. 

It's all about how you market yourself and making them realize your worth. If they feel you are worth it they will go the distance with you and make it happen.

Keep on trying and have faith........... 

• Like 1

Jules

HR is a field where there simply isn’t a skilled labour shortage. Unless you have a speciality in HR where you are considered an authority and there’s nobody else in Canada available  - then you face a challenge getting a job offer while still based in SA. If you were based in Canada with PR status then the job search will be easier. 

MaryJane

@Annique, your scores don’t seem bad enough, there’s just a bit of wait involved to finish your studies.  If you are really set on Canada, then I think it shouldn’t be an issue in a year’s time, provided the immigration rules don’t change (and no, haven’t heard anything about changes, don’t wanna cause a panic). At 440+, that’s quite a good CRS score. Good luck though!

• Like 2

M-N

I agree with @MaryJane. 440 would be a good score.  Did your husband/partner also do the IELTS? Or get his credentials assesed? Maybe look into doing some serious TEFL (french) courses? 

Good luck out there.  

• Thanks 1

GrantM
On 2/11/2019 at 12:46 AM, Annique said:

Will it help to come to Canada for 2 months and apply for jobs while we are there?

If you are coming over on a visitor visa then it is my understanding that you cannot work or even look for work. If they inspect your bags and find evidence that you are going to be looking to get a job offer you may end up banned from Canada for 2 years.

One other thing that I have noticed and this is not necessarily directed at you so please don’t take offence, but when ever something happens in SA (Gupta, load sheading, maybe something bad happens to a friend or family member) people suddenly have a sense of urgency to leave. I got that that feeling when you said you are looking for a job “ANYWHERE in Canada”. What I can tell you is that pretty much everything to do with getting/staying here moves slowly. From the PR process, finding work, building up a credit score to getting citizenship (I am going through this now) and so on. There are exceptions but for the most part these things take time. So my 2c is take your time and decide where you WANT to live and work and then go for it. Have a plan B, C all the way to Z but set a specific goal and go for it.

One other thing I have noticed is that the HR field in Calgary is rather saturated. When I was struggling to find work I was looking at doing a course to at least get a foot in the door and HR was one of them because I performed most of the HR functions at my job in SA. I quickly realized by looking on LinkedIn that the “applications submitted to jobs offered” ratio for these jobs was huge. Granted that many of those applicants were probably newly qualified people without your level of expertise but I’m just saying that it appears to be a very competitive field.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nettie
On 2/16/2019 at 11:00 AM, GrantM said:

Granted that many of those applicants were probably newly qualified people without your level of expertise but I’m just saying that it appears to be a very competitive field.

In my experience Canadian employers do not care about the experience in my field. They want the papers (qualifications) first and then you can get your Canadian experience. It's like being a new grad who needs experience for the job. (It's just the opposite from other places I've worked and lived.) Especially, being from SA is often a deterrent to employers because they have no clue what your background is.  I was going to say @Annique that if you're husband is the main applicant, you could probably start your own business and market yourself as a Life Coach, which is gaining momentum in North America. However, I see you're the main applicant and companies will definitely want Canadian experience, before they offer you a position in Leadership Development. This is because the Canadian job market is so different and believe me, you'd like to have that experience too, before stepping into a leadership role in Canada. 

We were also not sure where we were going to get work, but we had a plan and that was to make Ottawa our destination. Like you, we would have gone anywhere for a job. However, you want to convince your prospective employer that their job is the only job you want and their company is the only company you want to work for and their city is the only one you want to work and live in. This is why each resume and cover letter is different for each position. You need to sell those points to land an interview and then know enough about the company and city, areas to live in, during the interview. They will ask why their company and why their city out of all the other options out there.

It is correct that you cannot enter Canada, the UK or the US on a visitor visa and look for work. I'm not sure about New Zealand and Australia. 

Best of luck with the process.

• Thanks 1

Annique
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:47 PM, Nettie said:

In my experience Canadian employers do not care about the experience in my field. They want the papers (qualifications) first and then you can get your Canadian experience. It's like being a new grad who needs experience for the job. (It's just the opposite from other places I've worked and lived.) Especially, being from SA is often a deterrent to employers because they have no clue what your background is.  I was going to say @Annique that if you're husband is the main applicant, you could probably start your own business and market yourself as a Life Coach, which is gaining momentum in North America. However, I see you're the main applicant and companies will definitely want Canadian experience, before they offer you a position in Leadership Development. This is because the Canadian job market is so different and believe me, you'd like to have that experience too, before stepping into a leadership role in Canada. 

We were also not sure where we were going to get work, but we had a plan and that was to make Ottawa our destination. Like you, we would have gone anywhere for a job. However, you want to convince your prospective employer that their job is the only job you want and their company is the only company you want to work for and their city is the only one you want to work and live in. This is why each resume and cover letter is different for each position. You need to sell those points to land an interview and then know enough about the company and city, areas to live in, during the interview. They will ask why their company and why their city out of all the other options out there.

It is correct that you cannot enter Canada, the UK or the US on a visitor visa and look for work. I'm not sure about New Zealand and Australia. 

Best of luck with the process.

Thank you Nettie - this is very helpful! I appreciate your comments. We'll do a bit more research and then select a preferred location. xx

• Like 1