Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joshua

Why Canada?

Heinrich

And please take note that this "Sunday Herald" is newspaper in Scotland.

(I can't remember where on this forum, but it was posted about a week ago by Cathy Kotze from Nanaimo too. I had forwarded it by email to her and her husband Pierre after receiving it from a friend of mine in Jacksonville in Florida, USA. It won't hurt seeing it here again.)

natalieh
Hi, This post of mine is very beneficial and informative, however there are some specific facts or information that I require. If anyone can help me in this matter then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

:stretcher:

ebow3d
Hi, This post of mine is very beneficial and informative, however there are some specific facts or information that I require. If anyone can help me in this matter then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Interesting spam...

Adele

I am not sure how to split JUST that spam so have made it invisible until the pro's Hendie or Harry can do 'something' with it!

Have now noticed someone has removed the offending post. Thanks H & H

shaun

What can be done about the very first post in this thread. Some how I don't think Joshua was talking about cats or kittens.

Merv

First time I have seen that one! Wonder when that crept in :stretcher:

boeg
What can be done about the very first post in this thread. Some how I don't think Joshua was talking about cats or kittens.

That is hilarious. Please lets leave it. Its like the dagga plant that grew outside my law faculty as a student: an ironic anachronism.

Toni

Sorry, Boeg, I disagree and find it offensive :D

boeg
Sorry, Boeg, I disagree and find it offensive :D

If you're offended, why do you have one as your avatar?

Just kidding :)

Don't worry, I am sure 99.9999 ad infinitum % of this forum will agree with you. It seems that its only me that finds the implicit assumption inherent in censorship (ie that we are too stupid to think for ourselves) far more offensive than a silly little swearword.

So bye-bye anachronism: you have been sterilised out of existance. Moral revisionism triumphs again. All I ask is that the powers-that-be don't put on a swear-filter. I believe there are still people that would like to refer to 'pussy-cats", and "pussy-willows" without them become censored-cats and censored-willows.

hennie_dup

I tend to agree with you boeg. It seems no-one has found that posting offensive for nearly 5 years and over 200 posts, so surely it is not something to go on about.

On censorship and a nanny society, I've had enough of it here and will, from the sound of it, get even more once I get to Canada. I have a problem in principle with anyone forcing their moral viewpoint on me, irrespective of whether I agree with their standpoint or not.

If you don't like something, don't go there is my view...

Simba
Die enigste rede hoekom ons in Kanada is, my hubby het 'n werksoffer gekry van SIEMENS, hulle het vir die hele oppak en trek ook betaal, dus 'n vinniger manier om te immigreer.

Maar as ons meer geld gehad het om rond te "shop" sou ons definitief nie Canada gekies het nie, die winters is way te lank, dit vang my al hier in mid Nov al, en die einde is nog nie insig nie. Die mense is baie gaaf hier en dit is een van die mooiste lande, somer maande is heerlik hier.

Ek sal dit seker maar oorleef.

Groete

Ons het op dieselfde manier hier ingekom. My man het vir 5 maande hier gewerk en toe 'n jaar later het hulle hom 'n offer gemaak om die werk wat hy gedoen het in Kanada te kom voltooi. Ons grootste fout ooit. Daar is baie dinge wat ons nie van die land hou nie en dis hoekom ons besig is met ons immigrasie Australia toe. Ons het in 1998 al papierwerk gekry vir Australia maar het dit nooit ingestuur nie. Ek glo ons sal gelukkig wees daar want ons het darem vriende en familie daar. Hoop hierdie is my laaste winter in Kanada veral na die sneeustorm die naweek en die rekord hoogte sneeu sedert 1939.

As ek mense kan aanraai wat 'n keuse het trek Australia toe en nie Kanada nie want jy raak "NIE"gewoond aan die lang koue winters nie. Jy sal natuurlik kommentaar van 'n paar mense kry wat se mans tonne geld maak en hulle kan die heel dag loop en shopping doen en die lewe geniet hier maar vir die wat vir hulle geld moet werk en skofte werk is hier nie veel plesier nie.

Sterkte vir almal wat dink aan immigreer en dankie vir al die nuwe vriende wat ek gemaak het op SA Forum Austalia wat van Kanada na Austalia toe getrek het en baie gelukkig is daar en dankie vir al die hulp.

Kan nie wag om Brisbane toe te trek en op die strand te baljaar nie.

shaun

Martinella

I think you need to look deep inside yourself and see that you are actually p#ssed off with yourself for coming to Canada in the first place.

Don't knock the place just because you have a chip on your shoulder.

Karen

Yip, Canada is not for sissies!

Sure, it is easier to live in Brisbane and enjoy the beaches and warm weather, and given a choice and work opportunities, I guess many folk would rather be there than digging out their cars from snow- filled driveways.

Getting used to the weather can be a major issue for SA's. This climate is the very antithesis of what you have known and enjoyed all your lives. Canada is one of the coldest countries on earth. You HAVE to realise that before you make your decision to live here. It is not going to get warmer, even if global warming promises it will!! It will continue to snow in the long winters and freezing temps, rain and ice will be part of your reality for months.

If you cannot embrace the winter, it is probably best to look at warmer climes. For many though, they enjoy the winter and prefer the cold to the heat. These people find ways to make the most of the winter months - they ski, skate, like cozy times at home, snowboarding with the kids etc etc. And when the seasons change, they make the most of that, too, and savour each day of the better weather. No one learns to appreciate a pleasant day more than a Canuck!! At the dame time, we are blessed with four such distinct seasons, each with its own special appeal. How lucky is that?

If you come to live here, and you crave some sea and sun during the winter months, you can always take a break - rather reasonably, too - by escaping to one of the Caribbean Island, or popping off to one of the warmer US holiday areas.

natalieh

Martinella,

You can thank God that you have a choice of living in a country other than South Africa. As you saw yourself when you moved back there for a short time, not many people have.

Canada has been good to you and your family, accept that, and move on without bitterness, otherwise you'll just end up taking it with you to Australia.

We wish you all the best in your endeavours , we can only but wish you happiness, but that you will have to find within yourself.

Simba
Martinella

I think you need to look deep inside yourself and see that you are actually p#ssed off with yourself for coming to Canada in the first place.

Don't knock the place just because you have a chip on your shoulder.

Ja shaun jy is presies een van daai mense wat ek van gepraat het. Ek het die reg om my opinie te gee en het regtig nie iemand soos jy nodig wat niks van my lewe af weet om op my te trap nie.

Kanada is nie vir ons nie en ongelukkig is ek nie hooggeleerd en hoogbetaald soos jy nie as ek kyk na al jou duur hobbies.

Gaan vlieg maar eerde jou vliegtuigies en los my uit

Simba
Martinella,

You can thank God that you have a choice of living in a country other than South Africa. As you saw yourself when you moved back there for a short time, not many people have.

Canada has been good to you and your family, accept that, and move on without bitterness, otherwise you'll just end up taking it with you to Australia.

We wish you all the best in your endeavours , we can only but wish you happiness, but that you will have to find within yourself.

People make mistakes and im not bitter. Im just sad that we lost so much after leaving SA and hoped on something better. How do you know if Canada was good for us, we struggled from the word go because we didnt have PR when we landed. That made things very difficult. We had two teenagers that was not allowed to work for 3 and a half years till we got PR and I had to scrub floors and wash toilets at night to survive because my qualifications was not good enough for Canada.

That is the one thing that I love about the SA Forum Australia, people dont give you attitude. Why does people assume they know you if they know nothing about you and your life.

Simba
Ah..... Sangoma so you too have met some of the vultures....

I was going to use something a little stronger than ......%&*#@$%.

Ek het jou post gelees van die vultures. Ek het vir 2 jaar city busse gery en moes elke dag na die mense op die bus sit en luister hoe hulle geld van die staat steel en ek sit daar en werk my alie af vir $1000 per maand en hulle kry $1000 + om te sit en arme bus drywers te irriteer. Hulle kry soveel reg en ken elke trick in die boek om geld uit die staat te maak. Dis dalk hoekom ek swart gallig klink. My man kon ook nie verstaan hoekom ek so gevoel het nie tot hy 'n paar keer as passasier saam gery het en na mense se skelmstreke moes luister. Meisies wat op hoerskool beplan om swanger te raak en dan sodra hulle uit die skool is betaal die staat vir hulle om te gaan studeer.

Ek is trots om te se ek werk vir my geld en al sukkel ons baie na ons sessie wat ons laas jaar terug is SA toe vir 'n kort rukkie en terug is Kanada toe en baie geld verloor het. Ek hou my kop hoog en weet dat ons hulp van BO is en kan met 'n skoon gewete in die aand gaan slaap. Weet nie hoe mense kan slaap wat van ander steel nie.

Dis jammer dat ek met die laerklas mense in Kanada te doen moes kry met my werk want dit het my 'n gly gegee in die sisteem.

shaun

Ok if thats the way you want it then lets throw some mud around.

You say that I'm exactly that type of person that you where talking about.......mooi, just bloody mooi man. Lets get something staight right from the start. You have no idea, and when I say no idea I mean no idea what, or who I am. Where I come from and where I'm going to.

Lets do some comparing here.

Lets compare what I know about you and what you have posted so far vs me.

You hubby came over here with a job, working for Siemens. I came over with no job.

You went back to SA bashing Canada and missing your family. I stuck it out.

Now you want to go to Australia and bash Canada some more. I'm still going to stick it out.

I don't make 'tonne geld'. (My wife does!)

Skofte werk. Ha ha ha you have no idea.... Try working 12 hour shifts from 8:00pm to 8:00am. When you leave for work on Sunday, you don't see your family again until Thursday, because when you get home tomorrow morning they have all gone to school or work. When you leave for work in the afternoon they are not home yet.

I did it for 4 years. Oh and by the way qualified 'skof werkers' get damn good pay!! do you homework before you take any transfer job into Canada. Looks like hubby got burnt there. Electrician at Chrysler earns $42 - $44 per hour. Why doesn't he look for a job at ABB, Honeywell, Johnson Controls, etc if money is an issue.

That story about 'heel dag loop en shopping doen' what is shopping? is it not inkopies or something like that.

Why does my wife not walk around the whole day doing inkopies? possibly because she is busy at work or school, you know the place where you go and get Canadian qualifications and experience. Once you have those you tend to get better jobs and can then actually enjoy life in Canada.

When you lived in SA did you never take anything out of the freezer by hand. It usually got a little painful after a while. The simple reason is that that piece of meat is around -18'C. Now here would have been a good idea to do some homework (about Canada) but don't worry I'll give you the answers.....That's a cold winters day here in Southern Ontario.

Simba
Ok if thats the way you want it then lets throw some mud around.

You say that I'm exactly that type of person that you where talking about.......mooi, just bloody mooi man. Lets get something staight right from the start. You have no idea, and when I say no idea I mean no idea what, or who I am. Where I come from and where I'm going to.

Lets do some comparing here.

Lets compare what I know about you and what you have posted so far vs me.

You hubby came over here with a job, working for Siemens. I came over with no job.

You went back to SA bashing Canada and missing your family. I stuck it out.

Now you want to go to Australia and bash Canada some more. I'm still going to stick it out.

I don't make 'tonne geld'. (My wife does!)

Skofte werk. Ha ha ha you have no idea.... Try working 12 hour shifts from 8:00pm to 8:00am. When you leave for work on Sunday, you don't see your family again until Thursday, because when you get home tomorrow morning they have all gone to school or work. When you leave for work in the afternoon they are not home yet.

I did it for 4 years. Oh and by the way qualified 'skof werkers' get damn good pay!! do you homework before you take any transfer job into Canada. Looks like hubby got burnt there. Electrician at Chrysler earns $42 - $44 per hour. Why doesn't he look for a job at ABB, Honeywell, Johnson Controls, etc if money is an issue.

That story about 'heel dag loop en shopping doen' what is shopping? is it not inkopies or something like that.

Why does my wife not walk around the whole day doing inkopies? possibly because she is busy at work or school, you know the place where you go and get Canadian qualifications and experience. Once you have those you tend to get better jobs and can then actually enjoy life in Canada.

When you lived in SA did you never take anything out of the freezer by hand. It usually got a little painful after a while. The simple reason is that that piece of meat is around -18'C. Now here would have been a good idea to do some homework (about Canada) but don't worry I'll give you the answers.....That's a cold winters day here in Southern Ontario.

Om jou reg te help my man werk nie by siemens nie en hy was in 'n kontrak by die company wat hom laat oor kom het vir 4 jaar. Na hy sy PR gekry het laas jaar het die company hulleself uitgekoop en hy is een van vele mense wat hulle werk verloor het. Dis hoekom ons toe terug is SA toe. Hy kon nie werk kry sonder sy Kanadese millwrigt papiere nie.

My seun het agter gebly en dogter is saam. Hy was in 'n groot kar ongeluk en dis hoekom ons terug gekom het. My man is 'n millwright en is besig om 'n kursus te doen om sy kanadese papiere te kry. Sonder dit werk hy teen 'n verlaagde sallaris. En ek het vir 6 maande toerbusse gery teen $12,50 per uur, en was 16 tot 18 ure per dag van die huis af. Al ons geld het vir immigrasie gegaan.

Ek is besig om te studeer as eiendoms agent en as jy moet werk en immigrasie geld betaal is dit baie moeilik om geld iewers uit te grou vir studies.

Ek het jou nie eerste met klippe gegooi nie en nee ek het nie 'n chip op die skouer nie. Ek het ook nie van jou vrou gepraat nie. Weet maar net van paar mense wat daarvan hou om neer te kyk op mense omdat hulle nie swaarkry nie.

Baie mense kry onnodig swaar in Kanada en ons was maar net van die ongelukkiges.

Ek bly ook in Southern Ontario nie baie ver van Burlington af nie so ek weet hoe koud dit is.

Ons gaan Australia toe want ek hardloop nie weg nie, ons gaan net iewers waar dit warmer is.

shaun
Ja shaun jy is presies een van daai mense wat ek van gepraat het. Ek het die reg om my opinie te gee en het regtig nie iemand soos jy nodig wat niks van my lewe af weet om op my te trap nie.

Kanada is nie vir ons nie en ongelukkig is ek nie hooggeleerd en hoogbetaald soos jy nie as ek kyk na al jou duur hobbies.

Gaan vlieg maar eerde jou vliegtuigies en los my uit

I find your attitude rather smelly. sis.

We landed not more than 20 days apart, back in 2003.

You had an income when you landed. I didn't, well at least not for the first few months.

My wife worked as a tea girl, while I worked long and sometimes very hard shifts.

When times got tough or we wanted something extra I worked two jobs. Do you have any idea how it feels to go rack part in a factory when you have three trades behind your name. No you don't, because you want to stand on the side line and shout and scream and bitch and moan, instead of putting your shoulder to the wheel and doing something about your situation.

My little toy plane only cost $179, but it took me 6 months to save for it. My boat was a little more $ than that, but by that time I had worked my way up a bit and could afford the good life of a hobby. Don't get p#ssy with me because you are a slacker and want to run to the nearest bit of sunshine instead of getting up off your rear end and doing something about your situation. No one starves to death in Canada, there is so much work out there, you just have to get you 'gat in rat'.

Do you have any idea how hard working the Australians are. Canada is a walk in the park in comparison.

Australians take pride in what they do and will work there fingers to the bone to achieve their goals. Some people say they are just plain stupid and don't realize how hard they are working. It's not that, it's the fact that they want to and do succeed.

Personally I don't think you are going to make it in Aussy either. There will be issues with the schooling....have you done any research into it yet. Very comparable to the English (UK) schools when it comes to discipline. The drugs are just as good as any North American school. Aggrrr I'm waisting my time here...................

Edited by shaun

natalieh
Why does people assume they know you if they know nothing about you and your life.

Because I've been there and done that, and got the T-SHIRT. We are also currently here on work permits and also have to work our behind's off. But hey, I don't have to pay exorbitant school fees, or expensive medical aid's, and as you yourself said in Canada you can make do with less, in South Africa you can't.

So I am grateful that I got the chance to come to Canada, had I been in the same boat in South Africa I would have sunk a long time ago.

shaun

If your husband has 9000 hours and has his papers from SA (Oliphantsfontein trade), then he can go down to the Dept Education and Training on King St in Hamilton, pay $100 and sit and write the three hour exam. I don't know what the wait time is for the exam, but I'll find out for you tomorrow.

I don't think millwrite is a compusory licence in Ontario, but I'll check that out for you at the same time.

Simba
I find your attitude rather smelly. sis.

We landed not more than 20 days apart, back in 2003.

You had an income when you landed. I didn't, well at least not for the first few months.

My wife worked as a tea girl, while I worked long and sometimes very hard shifts.

When times got tough or we wanted something extra I worked two jobs. Do you have any idea how it feels to go rack part in a factory when you have three trades behind your name. No you don't, because you want to stand on the side line and shout and scream and bitch and moan, instead of putting your shoulder to the wheel and doing something about your situation.

My little toy plane only cost $179, but it took me 6 months to save for it. My boat was a little more $ than that, but by that time I had worked my way up a bit and could afford the good life of a hobby. Don't get p#ssy with me because you are a slacker and want to run to the nearest bit of sunshine instead of getting up off your rear end and doing something about your situation. No one starves to death in Canada, there is so much work out there, you just have to get you 'gat in rat'.

Do you have any idea how hard working the Australians are. Canada is a walk in the park in comparison.

Australians take pride in what they do and will work there fingers to the bone to achieve their goals. Some people say they are just plain stupid and don't realize how hard they are working. It's not that, it's the fact that they want to and do succeed.

Personally I don't think you are going to make it in Aussy either. There will be issues with the schooling....have you done any research into it yet. Very comparable to the English (UK) schools when it comes to discipline. The drugs are just as good as any North American school. Aggrrr I'm waisting my time here...................

Clearly you didnt understand my afrikaans letter. Well im not a slacker, I am actually a very hard worker. jelousy makes you nasty. I know I will make it in Australia. We did make it in Canada but dont wanne be here.

I dont worry about drugs cause my kids are big. You are a misrable person and I feel sorry for your family. You dont listen to what people say

Simba
If your husband has 9000 hours and has his papers from SA (Oliphantsfontein trade), then he can go down to the Dept Education and Training on King St in Hamilton, pay $100 and sit and write the three hour exam. I don't know what the wait time is for the exam, but I'll find out for you tomorrow.

I don't think millwrite is a compusory licence in Ontario, but I'll check that out for you at the same time.

He wrote the exam and failed because it is very different. Yes and he does need a licence. He will re-write in April after college.

Thanks in any way

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell
Clearly you didnt understand my afrikaans letter. Well im not a slacker, I am actually a very hard worker. jelousy makes you nasty. I know I will make it in Australia. We did make it in Canada but dont wanne be here.

I dont worry about drugs cause my kids are big. You are a misrable person and I feel sorry for your family. You dont listen to what people say

Martinella

You have been through a lot of hardships and years of immigration struggles.

Many of us can understand the frustrations and helplessness you must have experienced at times.

Right now, your resources (and ability to cope) seem very slim and worn through - and understandably so.

You should know the Internet is an imperfect medium, and it is so easy to misinterpret someone else's posts.

Relax, dear lady. No one here is the enemy or against you.

I have read this whole thread and I see Shaun trying to reach out and help you, plus share some of his/their own hardships.

It almost seems like the level of disappointments you have had to go through has left you so tired and in need of some hope and encouragement....it's here, believe me, it is.

Yes, I know we don't know each other at all, but I recognize in you someone who is burnt-out from immigration, culture shock, financial struggles, etc. Like Natalie, been there, done that, chucked the t-shirts...I know the feeling.

We understand you better than what you may realize, and we are here to encourage and support you in the projected move to OZ. (Or to stay in Canada. One never knows!)

I take courage and inspiration from Shawn's posts as well, as he has already walked through some heavy stuff, and he came out positively and focussed on building a future for his family here. One can learn from him, and his testimony today has built some hope into my heart that if one perseveres, things do get better.

I remember a dear Aussie friend who visited me in Texas once - I was on eight months' bedrest with the pregnancy (our youngest) - and dear Glynis said to me, "You have one choice...you can get bitter or better..."

Well, it is easier to make lemonade when life hands you a lemon than becoming sour and bitter, so I chose the "for better part." :blink:

Tough seasons and hardships eventually do pass, and once we look back, we normally see some good that came from it as well.

Don't give up hope...for that is what makes you get up in the morning, and try again.

May the Lord bless you, Martinella. :)

Edited by Ingrid Hurrell