Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joshua

Why Canada?

Spot

Hi Cathy,

A big thank you from me...........I do appreciate your efforts to making this whole

emigration slowwwwwww process known!!!

:D Thanks.

johankok
My only thought is that the stream-lined applications have caused a log-jam effect.

I tend to disagree as they have not started processing any of those that handed their applications in since the stream-lined applications came into being. It would be interesting to see if there was a continual slowdown - because in the early/middle '90's the timing was between 3 weeks and four months. My suspicion is that there has been a gradual slowdown all the way, rather than anything sudden.

I have heard - and I stand to be corrected here - that Canada has some arrangement with SA to only take in X amount of immigrants a year. Something about not taking all the skilled folk away, but how dumb is that. All those folk will simply get themselves to Australia or NZ etc.

That has been happening due to the waiting duration, let alone the limits.

My advice to all who are waiting and waiting - look at ALL your opportunities, do your homework really well and above all, carry on with your lives to the best of your ability where you currently are now. Things always seem to have a way of working out for the best, whatever.

Also consider temporary moves to other places. I know some folk does not find that idea attractive, but the experience gained surely helps them to adjust wherever they might settle in the end.

I will be in Jhb from Feb 14- March 5, so if anyone is interested in chatting about Toronto/Canada whilst I am there, please PM here.

Join us for the next Gauteng Coffee club meeting. I am not sure should I be in SA, but will join if I am around. - Will contact mother goose (4geese) to get the date for the next meeting.

Edited by johankok

Amanda

Greeffs, I am going to answer your question as best I can. I can count on my two hands the times that we have been invited into Canadian homes here in Toronto. I must stress though, that I believe Toronto is unique in that it is not easy to make friends quickly. I have been told that it is much easier in the Prairie provinces and Atlantic Canada - I would think that BC is as well. Anyway, in my opinion the Canadians are outwardly friendly BUT on a superficial level. If you consider the diverse and plentiful number of things to do here, it makes sense that Canadians just don't have the time or motivation to invest in "making friends". Think about the proximity of the US and all it has to offer as well as the ease of travelling to Europe, then you have the summer festivals, the fall fairs, the winter sports and yes ...... they are busy people especially when you add housework (even though they don't often entertain in their homes, they are very house proud). It has been difficult for me, coming from a country where friendships are paramount to my happiness, but I do understand the reason for the unwillingness to suddenly make me their best friend!!!!

Georgie,

I can not agree with you more - lived in BC where I had Canadian friends; however, here in Calgary I have friends from the US, Europe and South America; however the relationship with fellow Canadians are more of a hello, how are you and have a great day!

Ashleigh
I have heard - and I stand to be corrected here - that Canada has some arrangement with SA to only take in X amount of immigrants a year. Something about not taking all the skilled folk away, but how dumb is that. All those folk will simply get themselves to Australia or NZ etc.

To be honest, if you cannot get out of SA in the time span you want ( before you hit menopause!), do consider Australia. It's a beautiful country with great opportunites and the weather is easier to adapt to. As for waiting for your kids to be born here, I see no point in that. Your kid will become a Canadian citizen within three or so years of being here and be part of the majority who just happened to be born elsewhere in the world.

My advice to all who are waiting and waiting - look at ALL your opportunities, do your homework really well and above all, carry on with your lives to the best of your ability where you currently are now. Things always seem to have a way of working out for the best, whatever.

I will be in Jhb from Feb 14- March 5, so if anyone is interested in chatting about Toronto/Canada whilst I am there, please PM here.

Ashleigh

To be honest, if you cannot get out of SA in the time span you want ( before you hit menopause!), do consider Australia. It's a beautiful country with great opportunites and the weather is easier to adapt to. As for waiting for your kids to be born here, I see no point in that. Your kid will become a Canadian citizen within three or so years of being here and be part of the majority who just happened to be born elsewhere in the world.

I have to agree with you Karen, I always knew that the time limit was lengthy to get your PM, as I have been researching Canada and all the ins and outs for a long time before we even put in our papers and we chose Canada over Oz. When we submitted our papers we received a letter back stating 30-36 months - however from the info posted on this forum it seems like we are looking towards 40-48 months and with the major changes that are making life even more unpleasant in SA now, we are looking again at Oz and possibly even NZ. Our children are our main concern and we are very concerned about making a 'wrong' decision - having said that staying here and waiting for another 3+ years may also be the wrong decision to make!

Helena G
I have to agree with you Karen, I always knew that the time limit was lengthy to get your PM, as I have been researching Canada and all the ins and outs for a long time before we even put in our papers and we chose Canada over Oz. When we submitted our papers we received a letter back stating 30-36 months - however from the info posted on this forum it seems like we are looking towards 40-48 months and with the major changes that are making life even more unpleasant in SA now, we are looking again at Oz and possibly even NZ. Our children are our main concern and we are very concerned about making a 'wrong' decision - having said that staying here and waiting for another 3+ years may also be the wrong decision to make!

Hi There,

A lot of people first go to the UK while waiting for the PR to come through. Just another idea to help you get out much sooner. I have info I can mail you if you are interested.

Cheers,

Helena G

Ashleigh
Hi There,

A lot of people first go to the UK while waiting for the PR to come through. Just another idea to help you get out much sooner. I have info I can mail you if you are interested.

Cheers,

Helena G

Thanks Helena, I actually have a British passport, so it is something to consider - just don't really fancy moving twice, we already made the move down here from Zim when we were kids and are really trying not to confuse and upset our kids too much with 2 moves.

Cheers

Ashleigh

Lorrett
Hi There,

Cheers,

Helena G

Wondering how this will affect the people who want to go "wait it out" in the UK if it goes through

Warning issued over SA-UK visas

06/02/2008 14:42 - (SA)

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/...2265594,00.html

hennie_dup
Wondering how this will affect the people who want to go "wait it out" in the UK if it goes through

Warning issued over SA-UK visas

06/02/2008 14:42 - (SA)

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/...2265594,00.html

Shouldn't have any impact, as any of us who want to go and wait it out still need a UK work permit, unless you already have an EU passport as well.

This possible change would only mean that one would need to get a visa before visiting the UK, just like we currently need for the rest of Europe (except Switzerland) instead of just taking the first flight if one feels like it

Moedeloos

Hi all

I desperately need some help. If I have this info we can get the application forms going... Please note that when I ask for the most "livable" weather conditions I'm referring to just that. I know it's cold there but not Calgary cold and so on. Get the point? Right here we go!

I need to know which of the following has moderate climate: Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia.

Ok say for instance British Columbia has moderate climate of Min -1 Max 20, which town like Merrit or a city in BC has a nice to moderate climate?

I need to establish this, the reason being, my soon-to-be husband works in the mining industry and BC and Alberta is full of mines so I desperately need climate averages there. You are my only hope because you've got first hand info. And you know how long the waiting period is.

This is critical.

Your help will be appreciated

Regards

Dedré

Cool! I got some really nice stuff for you!

Here you can go to each province (even USA provinces) and look up in colour for winter and summer. The legend shows the temperatures for those colours.

Then Here, you can type in the town's name and find a whole array of values for that city/town.

Environment Canada's very technical site... don't know who might want to look at this one... very complicated indeed.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Dedré

Heinrich

Moedeloos

Moderate climates could really only be found in BC. Merritt, BC (for example) still isn't very moderate. It reminds me of Noupoort or Colesberg at first sight. A very nice place for South Africans that don't want to change their weather experience, might be the Okanagan Valley in BC. However, I really don't know of any mining around there. You can really browse the Environment Canada website that Dedre has just posted. It will give you a good idea.

Moedeloos
Cool! I got some really nice stuff for you!

Here you can go to each province (even USA provinces) and look up in colour for winter and summer. The legend shows the temperatures for those colours.

Then Here, you can type in the town's name and find a whole array of values for that city/town.

Environment Canada's very technical site... don't know who might want to look at this one... very complicated indeed.

Hope it helps.

Thank you VERY VERY much Dedré. This will help tremendously !!!!!!!!!!

Very much appreciated :lol:

Claire

Moedeloos

Heinrich

Thank you also :lol:

Claire

Rolé

You can also look here for Canada's weather. It gives you the current weather and you can go look at statistics of the years past. Just type the name of the town you are interested in.

einselec

Hello there

I know that this might be a little off track but we will be moving to the Okanagan Valley if we get our PR approved. I received a BC PNP sponsorship and heard today that my AOR is Feb 2008. Hope to be there by June but it might take a little longer.

I am registered on a website called accessokanagan.com and you might give it a try if you would like to see what it looks like there. We think that it is beautifull and it is not too big for a guy like me who grew up in the Karoo!!

Good luck with your search Moedelooos!!

Regards

Einselec

Moedeloos

Thank you sooooo much Rolé & Einselec !!!!

South Africa is spiraling down faster than I thought :lol: !!!

Better get out fast huh !!!

natalieh

Gives me goosebumps, can't wait to declare my allegiance!!

einselec

Natalieh

What a great video!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!!!!!!!

Cathy K

Love the video, but the Canadians I know don't say "about" or "aboot"; they say "aboat"!

Cathy K.

Toni

Natalieh, Cool video - mainly gives me hope that although my kids will speak "funny" one day, they won't speak "American"! :wub:

Harry

Errr...Natalieh, are you getting goose-bumps because of Canada or because of the beer?...That's a Molson commercial. :wub:

natalieh

Both :wub: