Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joshua

Why Canada?

Hendie
Interest on house payment are deductible from taxable income in Canada - and not in SA

Nounet eers dié gesien Johan. Nie waar in Kanada nie. Wel in die VSA. Rente op gewone huislenings is nie aftrekbaar van bealsting in Kanada nie. Daar is strategië wat 'n ander stel produkte inspan om wel indirek 'n aftrekking te kry, en ek sal graag verduidelik aan dié wat belangstel (PM my vir die nuuskieriges).

Cathy

Glad you clarified that Hendie I got all excited for a moment

Sulene

We chose Canada for these reasons:

*Our children need a better life, at the current rate they will be left for the dogs. It might get better in a few years but we're not sticking around to find out.

*We love the weather. We go to the Drakensberg during the winter to holdiay in the snow or even just some cold weather. Not as cold as Canada I presume but we've had some -15's on our holidays.

* I'm so-so-so tired of dirty streets, brown drinking water/ no water almost every week(and these last 2 weeks our water has been off almost every day, and this will go on until mid March), electricity problems - we have no electricity almost weekly and during winter it gets worse.

* In SA you can see the hate between races and it has gotten worse over the years - the government just pressed harder on an already sore foot - not making it better but still getting the votes?

* Where we are currently living we have 6 foot walls, electric fencing, 2x burglar bars over and in windows, alarm, beams around the house, we do community patrol work in our area, I have cell numbers of 2 Police captains on my phone and we sleep with the safety gate to our rooms locked. We use an electric gate not only for convenience but also for safety, I drive into the yard and wait until the gate is closed before I get out to open the garage. We live in a very good area with minimal break in's but still need all the protection available to keep them out. I'm tired of living in fear I want to sleep peacefully.

* We love the nature, and Canada is the place to go for people like us.

* The fact that we are looking forward to a future in a country we have never even been before is already a very positive sign.

South Africa is such a beautiful country and I will always love it but it has been torn into peaces and it will take a long time to heal again.

• Like 1

Smcspan
Hi Folks:

I'm a born Canadian, and just reading some of the nice remarks various people have posted. Thanks.

I for one am glad you chose Canada. The more of you who come the better this county will be.

Although I was born here I have not always lived here. I was a second class citizen in many, many places, for many years. One thing I did learn is that it's always a struggle going to a new place. It is NEVER home. It NEVER has fond memories. It NEVER has old freinds you can count on to help. It's like being in a life raft with a few possesion, and only yourself to rely upon. Ships may see you - but they may also ignore you. Some may give you a drink of water - but that's all. For some - you reach land faster than other - but you will eventually get there. When you arrive you can choose to build for the future, or cast off again. What you build depends on you alone. If you fail to sharpen your axe, building anything will be harder, no matter where you land.

Some people are better at sharpening their axe than others. No matter which country you chose, their standards of education will surely be different. Again you can chose to sharpen your axe again because it no longer works, or you can refuse to sharpen it. Finding a way to sharpen the axe may not be easy. That task in itself may be hard - but it will have it's rewards.

It appears to me that most people from ZA rush out and look for a way to sharpen their axe, and do a damm fine job of it.

I love this reply! One thing I've noticed by reading through this very lively discussion board, is that a lot of people out there don't stand back from their situation and analyse it away from emotion. They seem to forget (or maybe are just that spoiled) that first and foremost, it is an amazing privilege to be able to pack up and start a fresh new life in a different country.

Of course it's going to be different and difficult at times! But man, isn't that the times when we grow personally and learn that we are actually capable of surviving and conquering!

I lived in London (4 years) and traveled Thailand for about 5 months, so have also been privileged to get on a plane and go somewhere new and exciting. I used to LOVE taking the train and the bus to work, sitting there, watching different people of the world doing what they do.

Let me tell you, many of my fellow South Africans would LOVE to start the immigration process for the right reasons, but simply didn't get the opportunity or do not have the financial backing to do so.

So let's enjoy the fact that we are able to take journeys and explore and grow. If this journey didn't pan out to be what you've expected, then take it in your stride and move along without being bitter. But maybe, like so many (I think it was Shawn) had said, and Bob just re-affirmed it here, that it is YOU that will make or break your experience.

I too was lonely and cold and stressed out in London, but over all, I knew that this was my life and I couldn't let this opportunity slip by being despondent and ungrateful.

Where could I EVER stand and wait an hour for a train in the snow back home?? I couldn't even call a taxi!

I think, like it was also said above, it is all about your attitude and willingness to accept the differences with wide open arms.

I am in the middle of paperwork and we are looking to arrive in January 2012, and yes, I am scared too. But, I believe that opportunities come around once, and when you are old and wrinkly, lying on your bed in your old age home, you can think back on your Expat life and I bet you, the dark days would fade away, and you will only remember the good ones!

Remember the time we lived in Canada?? Oh my child, we were once adventurers....

;)

Edited by Smcspan
  • Like 1

Cathy K

Interesting to read all those replies from 2003 onwards. Some of those who first commented are now Canadians themselves. We became less South African, and more Canadian. We're raising Canadian children, because they were the first to completely integrate. Some even married Canadians. We made Canadian friends, learned Canadian ways, coped like Canadians.

We no longer fret if the whole house doesn't get cleaned every day, and even adopt the dust bunnies. Our best "friend" is the compulsory clothes dryer, because it makes ironing unnecessary. Our gardens are for the most part....kind of natural. ;)

We are far more laid back. The car stays outside in the driveway (sometimes unlocked with my purse forgotten inside). The garage is needed for "stuff." :lol: The kids don't know anything about burglar alarms, fences and security. They ride around on their bicycles, man their own lemonade stands in the driveway, and play outside in summer till after 10 o'clock when it gets dark. The doors are rarely locked.

We volunteer, because it's the Canadian way. Our children learn that from Kindergarten. They become buddies for smaller kids by grade four. They collect for welfare, gather funds for the underprivileged and routinely request funds for special projects in Africa and elsewhere in lieu of birthday gifts.

I remember those that we lost along the way: Sangoma, Boeg (where are you!), Mari (now in Europe), and a few others that stopped posting. We would like to hear from you again. Are you still here Greeff?

Edited by Cathy K
  • Like 1

Theron

Why Canada?? The answer is simple....IT'S CANADA! biggrin.gif

This'll be my first post and figured what a better way than to post something on a topic so relevant to us all. I started to do research on different countries and all relevant aspects like normal day to day stuff like work and housing and soforth about three years ago (yes it took me a while but I wanted to make sure that it is what i wanted)....eventually decided on Canada. Then I started to dig a bit deeper and found that almost everyone that settles there is having a much better life in their opinion. I met a few people that have lived there before (ex-saffers), came back and then went back to Canada....saying one just can't compare the quality of life here in SA to it in Canada.

I am currently doing my honours in Accounting en-route to a CA designation in the end....and plan on applying for immigration to Canada as soon as I am registered as CA (this is the route with the least "red-tape" due to it being regulated in both countries like most would know). Yes I am still in my early to mid twenties, but thought about it in this way....what better way to start a new life from the beginning than to settle in SA first just to pack up and leave a few years later when it would be a bit more complicated with kids and so on. I am however not putting my life on hold.

I've read quite a few topics here and gathered a heap load of information already and will keep reading - my dad always says: " alles kan van jou afweggeneem word behalwe een ding, jou kennis" - wise words.

So very glad so many of you have made it to Canada, made a new exciting life for yourselves and best of luck to all of you still waiting to here from Immigration or even those who still can't decide on whether to go or not - make the right choice......choose Canada haha laugh.gif

Regards,

Theron

Edited by Theron
  • Like 2

Impala

We wanted to go to the USA because we had friends in Virginia, but we came to Canada because our agent said it would be easier to sponsor a relative in Canada and then move to the US, than it would be to go to the US and try and sponsor a relative (my mother-in-law) from there.

It took us about 3 years to feel that we were Canadians and that we were part of Canada. By then we didn’t have the energy to move to another country and start all over again, so we made Canada our home. Don’t get me wrong, if I had to do it all over again, I would have gone to the States because I don’t like the cold and after 15 years in Canada, I live with the cold but I don’t like it. As soon as the birds start flying south, I go into hibernation like a bear.

Depending on your outlook on life, you may or may not agree with me but this is what I think of Canada and I quote Karen and other members on some stuff:

Pros

Don’t have to learn a new language – I’m Afrikaans but English was part of my schooling so I manage

Closer to the hustle and bustle of North America and Europe

Easier to get into Canada and sponsor a relative

Health program

Canadian accent - nicer than some US accents

Safer – no six foot fences, burglar bars and alarm systems for me

Good mix of North American culture and European influence

Not as loud mouthed and plastic as in some parts of the US

Keep your own cultures and value systems – SA stores selling SA products (nothing like a potjie and a piece of biltong)

Cons

Too cold

Winters too long – November to April (unofficially)

Only 2 seasons – winter and construction season

Not like the USA – don’t get the same products and we pay a lot more for our products

Too politically correct – it is a holiday tree and not a Christmas tree (what a joke)

Keep your own cultures and value systems –young people are defiant and their parents go to the extreme because they can’t accept change

Anjonet

Hi guys

I'm still in the process of deciding which country I would like to go to. But reading the different literature I could lay my hands on it seems as if Canada can be more difficult than the USA to get into and ultimately attain citizenship. Am I correct or did I miss some information along the way?

Your insights and advice will be really appreciated.

Dedré

For the US you might get a visa to work easily, but to finally immigrate is another story. I am not the expert on the US. Ingrid might be more insightful on that. But to make your decision, you might have to register on SAUSA too to get a feel of what the difference between the two countries are. And there are so many similarities and just as many differences. Too many to mention. What I can say about Canada is that everyone is treated Canadian and not classified as African American or Mexican American and so forth. Also I think becoming a Canadian Citizen is way easier than an American Citizen.

canuck nick

I would suggest researching this thoroughly before making your decision.

I have a friend who is a teacher in the US. She's been there for 10 years and has had her WP renewed multiple times but has struggled to get permanent residency in the US. Her kids are grown up and have been through the US schooling system, made friends and basically put down roots there.

Problem is that the regulations command that a new LMO be done every few years and her teaching position is not secure. If they find a qualified US teacher then my friend will have to return to SA, which she does not want to do.

This might differ from industry to industry.

I speak under correction but would think that in Canada, if you are here under a WP, it would be easier to get your PR here. I know a few SA nurses here who converted there WP into PR without any problems.

Cathy K

It's extremely difficult getting into the USA. Our son started his journey in 1997. It cost thousands, and we're very thankful that he has been an American citizen for two years now. He calls himself a genuine African-American.

Anjonet

Hi Cathy K

Your son is in US and you in Canada? What has your experience been moving from SA to Canada? Did you get citizenship in Canada? Like I said, the information I get seems to be conflicting and I'm unsure where to search for an accurate account of what it takes to become citizen in either Canada or the US.

Cathy K

Anjonet, go to the "Journals" section of Sacanada for many stories about emigrating to Canada. Getting Permanent Resident status is the first hurdle. One is eligible for citizenship after three years as a Permanent Residence.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/index.asp

We have been in Canada since 2001 and has been Canadian citizens for almost ten years.

It's worth your while to take time and study all the topics on this forum. You questions have all been answered before.

Have a look at this website for answers regarding USA immigration.

http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Defense/Citizenship.shtml

NH3 Mac

Maybe not an answer to "Why Canada" but me, my husband and 3 children are about to move to Nova Scotia from SA-KZN in the next 2 - 3 months and would LOVE some sort of feedback if anyone on this forum has lived there - whats it like? Your experience with the locals, schools etc? would love to hear anything anyone has to offer regarding Nova Scotia. We are going to be in the Bedford, Dartmouth area around there. Would be so nice to hear from people that have actually moved there from SA or if you know of anyone who lives there. Thanks so much. :D

Rooiprop

Hi NH3 Mac

We moved to Halifax just over 2 years ago (specifically we live in Dartmouth). Really like what is happening to downtown Dartmouth also good value for money properties. Bedford properties are a bit more expensive.

I like Nova Scotia because it is close to Europe and not to far from Africa :) (still miss SA at times).

I like NS as it is a bit slower, they take time to stop and smell the roses.

Salaries are a bit less than eg Calgary etc but the cost of living is cheaper here. I find the east coast to be a bit old fashioned and quaint at the same time. At times it is a bit slow for me but I am still getting out of the SA mindset (it takes a while).

We have been invited to a few canadian homes which is quite amazing. One thing I really do miss is the 'pop in' culture in SA. I find people here to be friendly but not welcoming. There are quite a few South Africans in NS and they have socials once or twice a year.

At first I was kinda miffed that there wasn't more snow but now I am so grateful. Snow shovelling is fun the first 5 times only.

Halifax is a place where you can easily carve a name for yourself.

Nelline

We're busy moving to PEI from Ottawa at the moment which is just "across the road" from NS

Let me know if you want to connect - you too, Rooiprop!

Maybe not an answer to "Why Canada" but me, my husband and 3 children are about to move to Nova Scotia from SA-KZN in the next 2 - 3 months and would LOVE some sort of feedback if anyone on this forum has lived there - whats it like? Your experience with the locals, schools etc? would love to hear anything anyone has to offer regarding Nova Scotia. We are going to be in the Bedford, Dartmouth area around there. Would be so nice to hear from people that have actually moved there from SA or if you know of anyone who lives there. Thanks so much. :D

Jules

Nelline what's the reason for leaving Ottawa?

Rooiprop

@ Nelline, Sure we can connect.

That is quite a big move. Swopping city for country life eh!! :)

Nelline

Work, Jules!

Jakes got a very decent offer for a position with scope for advancement, whereas the job he is in now is fairly stagnant.

To make matters even better, my company has an associate office out there and they've agreed I can work from there as a satellite... a BIG bonus because as I understand it, positions in my line of work are not that plentiful out there "in the sticks" as it were.

Nelline what's the reason for leaving Ottawa?

Edited by Nelline

Nelline

Spot on Rooiprop! But thankfully Jakes and I are both "plaasjapies" at heart!

@ Nelline, Sure we can connect.
That is quite a big move. Swopping city for country life eh!! :)

• Like 1

Hendie

We're busy moving to PEI from Ottawa at the moment which is just "across the road" from NS

Let me know if you want to connect - you too, Rooiprop!

Well, that's good news! We're on Route 15 on the way from Moncton to the Confederation Bridge, so NO excuse for not stopping for a cuppa!

• Like 1

JanSalJanNat

Hi.  This forum was created many years ago but I find it an interesting read.  We are currently in the Immigration process, hoping to move April 2018.  We are currently living in SA & I am telling you things are not getting any better here.  If you are a white male, you are kinda screwed.  You hold on to your job, doesn't matter how bad it is because you don't know if you will actually find something else.  As a white woman, it's getting more & more difficult to find another job.  The BEE is seriously counting against us & if we in any way want a future for our kids we have to make the move.

We have to sacrifice a lot but one day we will hopefully look back & be glad we did it.