Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joshua

Why Canada?

Guest Joshua

Why Canada?...what about other countries?

whats your reason

Guest Hendre - The African

Come over for a month. Then ask yourself the same question!

Guest Jen

Hi everybody,

Why have you all chosen Canada and not Aus, NZ or the UK?

Just wondering

Cheers

Jen

Tabbie

My answer is pretty simple :)

My parents chose Canada many many many moons ago. I basically tagged along for the ride!

I lived in Australia too, alas Canada was calling and here I'm am! Nothing wrong with Ozzieland. Always say... Oz is everything SA could have been.

My sister lives in the UK. She has a 2-year working visa, like thousands of other Saffers. She has ran into people there we went to primary school with! She loves it. She is having the most incredible adventures, only hangs out with other Saffers, so she isn't so alienated from her culture. My brother will never live in Canada - he said it is too cold, and is currently finishing university at TUKS. I love the Brits though.. support England all the way in soccer, I work with them on a daily basis, I hang out with ex-pat brits.

Unfortunately I have never been to NZ, so I can't comment on that. After being taken by the Aussies... :cry: you don't care that much about the Kiwi's... heeeheeehee

Edited by Tabbie
  • Like 1

johankok

AU is popular because you can have citizenship after two years and has always been 'close' to SA. NZ recently changed their cistizenship requirements, I believe it is now after three years.

Economically: NZ & AU living standards consistently drop against the rest of the world. CA had a bad patch a few years ago, but recovered most of it.

AU - it is impossible to have similar living standards to SA in a similar position (with a salary in the same AU ranking position as in SA).

Canada = much colder, expect if you go BC / Alberta - The climate there is better than in NZ, and comparable with Adelaide.

These are purely personal impressions, as I lived in Sydney for a short while, but only visited Canada..... But that still left me with a personal preference for Canada, even though I also studied in AU and have family there.

• Like 1

.Junk.Yard.Mule.

Uhm Tabbie, revisit your history books.

Me thinks Canada is older than SA !

Anyway, Why Canada ?

Because it is consistently among the 10 best countries in the world and you don't have to learn a new language.

It is however, a real shocker for those bozos who come here uninformed and think Canada is just a an English South Africa that gets very cold in the winter and they speak French in place of Afrikaans.

Canada is a country all on it's own, unique and wonderful.

I think a lot of New Zeeland and Oz, but Canada is closer to the hustle and bustle of North America and Europe.

So there you are.

• Like 1

dlam

Nee wat Junk Yard Mule, ek dink jy moet na jou geskiedenis boeke gaan kyk. Edmonton word volgende jaar eers 100 jaar oud. Windhoek was al 'n paar jaar terug 100 jaar oud en Namibia, alias ou SWA, is self 'n jong land. SA kom al van 1652 af as ek vir Jan van Riebeeck reg onthou.

Nou die Maritimes is 'n bietjie ouer as die Prairies, maar ek dink hulle dateer maar uit die 1800. Die eerste klomp het seker by Nova Scotia aangeland, so miskien kan Liz lig op die onderwerp gooi met datums wat op monumente in Halifax geskryf staan.

Liz

Kyk op hierdie link na inligting van hoe oud ......Canada is. Die tweede paragraaf gee 'n paar datums.

Edited by Liz

Karen

I was driving along one day and saw a billboard that said " Drink Canada Dry".

So, I came and I did!!

Seriously though, I came to Canada because it is a quieter America, but still part of a great continent; because my husband had family members here; because it was easier back then to get into than Australia; because I can't resist the mounties!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AMB

hmm.., hi...

I'll dare answer though I'm not yet in Canada, and not at all from SA.

Canada has it all: The maritime provinces have 400 years of history, the whole country has a magnificent nature and they have a very good social/health program. What more can you want?

Personally I of course also considered NZ and Australia (and SA in fact) but found that the 2 first had too little history and were too warm! I need snow and cold in the wintertime - thus my preference for Nova Scotia.

As for SA - it's also a warm country...not enough snow and autumn leaves falling! ...or at least so I think. I was never there...Correct me if I'm wrong.

So for me it's a combination of history, nature and social structure.

AM

Guest Guest_noded

I visited Canada a couple of times in the past, the last time was back in the 80's when I spent a month in Toronto with some friends and then travelled cross country to Vancouver. I met some of the nicest, most mellow people in Canada. Not to mention the abundance of open spaces, low population density, low crime rate, the country's policy of protecting thier environment, liberal government and some of the most beautiful landscapes I have ever seen. Plus Canada is one of the most liberal countries in the world as far as its immigration policies go and the people seem to welcome others from diverse cultural backgrounds.

• Like 1

Merv

My reason was very simple, when asked why I came to Canada, the answer is "Because I could!"

Eugene

When i was asked, "why canada?", i told them, "because i could not get into the usa."

greeffs

I agree with Eugene, and now ask myself everyday'Why ???.The mistake we made was to believe that canada is like the states.......BIG mistake.

we are now are finacially committed to this course of action but honestly if I could turn back the clock would not make the same decision.

• Like 1

Karen

Greefs, I don't know how long you have been here, but I think you should give Canada a chance.

To think that Canada is just like the US is a mistake. It is a distinctly different country, and thank goodness for that!

I think that Canada is gentler, more sophisticated country in many respects. The dollar is not our god and there is a good mix of North American culture and European influence to be found. People are civil, pretty decent and not as loud mouthed and plastic as in some parts of the US. Plus, immigrants are more readily accepted and allowed to keep their own cultures and value systems. The US is a giant melting pot.

After living here for a decade and always thinking that the US was better, I have changed my mind completely. Canada is the place to be and if you put your mind to it and allow yourself time to settle in, you will not regret coming here. The country has a lot to offer those who let it. Sure, it's not perfect, but neither is the US, Australia or any place for that matter. Life is what you make of it, wherever you are. Be grateful to be here - there are places far worse, that I can tell you, and the grass is not always greener elsewhere.

• Like 1

Guest Guest_Lynette

I agree that Canada is better than the US. I am a South African who has lived in Canada (BC), Europe and am now studying in the US. I love life here in Boston and am having a great time but long term I hope to settle in Canada. Canadians are really nice and a bit more down to earth than Americans. Canada is also not involved in various wars across the planet. After South Africa I am looking for some peace and quiet and the current political situation in the US really worries me

On your question why not AU or NZ, these are still options but Canada is just so much closer to all the Americas and Europe so travelling to see family or friends is much easier. Oh yes and I love to ski! Bring on the winter

• Like 1

greeffs

the opinions I express are MINE, based on my own life experience and outlook on life. I share my feelings and if they do not agree with you ,I do not ask you to judge.

whats with the be grateful deal.??

Edited by greeffs

Guest Iza

Die enigste rede hoekom ons in Kanada is, my hubby het 'n werksoffer gekry van SIEMENS, hulle het vir die hele oppak en trek ook betaal, dus 'n vinniger manier om te immigreer.

Maar as ons meer geld gehad het om rond te "shop" sou ons definitief nie Canada gekies het nie, die winters is way te lank, dit vang my al hier in mid Nov al, en die einde is nog nie insig nie. Die mense is baie gaaf hier en dit is een van die mooiste lande, somer maande is heerlik hier.

Ek sal dit seker maar oorleef.

Groete

Karen

Greefs,

Yes, your opinions are your own and you are quite entitled to them. All I am saying, is that you should give the place a fair chance. You don't want to spend the rest of your life having regrets about being here. Life is too short for that.You have to take the bull by the proverbial horn and try and make things happen for yourself.Immigrants to Australia, NZ etc also often do not love their new country instantaneously. They often struggle to find work, make friends and be accepted. I know of many who have taken years to reach some level of acceptance about their adopted homes. It can take a long time to come to terms with a new life in a very different culture. For some people, it never happens, and then it would be wise to return to SA, if you can.

You should be grateful to be out of SA. Away from the horrific crime and corruption that is so pervasive there. Sure, the weather here is bad, but I would still rather have cold and snow than the fear of being hijacked, raped or killed each time I take my car out of the driveway. We should all be grateful to be living in a peaceful country where there is respect for the law and order prevails. No country will ever feel as good to you as the one you were born and raised in, but a positive, forward - looking attitude will go a long way in helping to make you feel at home and comfortable here.

I am sorry you have not had things easy here, but you are not alone. Many of us suffered through hard financial and emotional times, but you have to either swim or sink. Choose to swim - I think it is definitely worth it in the long run.

• Like 1

greeffs

You stiil persist in "playing the man and not the ball".

You will understand the implication of the word ASSUME.The very strenght of this forum is the fact that you can voice an opinion and not be attacked in your personal capicity.

Hendie

I think there is a fine line between "playing the man" and voicing your opinion. Just my using the word "your" in that sentence shouldn't make someone believe I am targeting them. Kari and greeffs, I think I know more of you both than either of you know about each other and all I can say is that you find yourselves at different places on your immigration "path". I believe Karen's suggestions are sincere and not meant to be condescending, but stem from personal experience and hardships, whereas greeffs is obviously still in the disillusionment phase. I agree that everyone should be allowed to say their say, but I think we should look beyond the words and look for the intent. Let's not allow our emotions to run away with us. ;)

• Like 1

Georgie

Greeffs, I agree with you wholeheartedly

whats with the be grateful deal.??
For what am I supposed to be so grateful? I have been in Toronto for 10 years and if there was any chance to go home I would. (Spekkies - don't bother telling me to go! I know you would love to!) My two boys are happy here and have put down deep roots. I have no choice but to stay because these two boys are my life. Canada has not done me any great favours, I have worked damn hard the last 10 years to make it in this hostile workplace. I have contributed a large part of my earnings to taxes, so I don't see why I should be indebted to CANADA!!! I realize that this e-mail will probably elicit an outpouring of anger directed at me - Take your best shots, but PLEASE understand each of us is entitled to their opinion and if my opinion of our adopted country does not coincide with yours - so be it ;)

Karen

Hendie, you are quite correct. I am obviously in a different phase of my immigration process and I am not attacking Greefs for his opinions. It certainly was not my aim to be condescending to anyone and I appreciate fully that you are entitled to your opinions of this country. So am I.

Georgie, I for one will not be telling you to head back to SA, as your love for your children and your desire to be with them is what makes you a wonderful father and special person. To put their happiness above your own, is in itself, commendable.

However, I cannot help wondering if you would really be that happy back in SA after a decade here. I go back on an annual basis to visit my ill mother and family there, and although it will always be close to my heart and I love the beauty of Africa, each year it is so different. There is a lot there now which I would find very difficult to deal with and I would not choose to live with those issues any longer. Plus, with affirmative action, would you be able to secure a job which pays you according to your qualifications and abilities? I suppose you will argue that Canada also does not allow that, but most SA's I know, have after 10 years , found their niche and are happy enough. I do know that this does not apply to everyone in this 'hostile' country, but please know that we have all paid large chunks of our earnings to taxes here too. We would have paid even more in SA for fewer benefits.

Perhaps 'indebted' is too strong a word to use, but I am grateful for all the country has been to me. I have also given it a fair share, believe me, but in return I have been able to bring my children up in a safer society, I have grown enormously as a person - far more than I ever would have in SA, I have a roof over my head, food in my fridge, cars in my driveway and peace of mind. It never came easily and took years of HARD work and sacrifice, but it was attainable.

If I have offended anyone, it was never done intentionally and I offer my sincere apologies.

greeffs

hey we all all mature adults...kari .. sorry for being touchy on the subject, no harm no foul.

I do think Georgie has a handle on my feelings and thank you for understanding.

alright Hendie , thanks for playing ref.

debbieD

Why Canada? Because it seemed the right place at the time. Close to the U.S.A., therefore, close to some family. A safer country to bring up my children. We are not well off by any stretch of the imagination, but our lifestyle is far better than S.A., and we easily pay our bills every month. We also liked the idea of it being in the Northern Hemisphere, and close to Europe (for future holidays), and that it's an english speaking country. We did consider NZ, but the jobs for IT people were very scarce at the time.

And so, we are here! ;)

I am grateful that we have met such wonderful S.A. people here, i.e. the greeffs and Karen and her famdamily and Hendie hulle, ens. ;)