NadiaE

Personal effects shipping - door to door?

NadiaE

Has anyone shipped personal effects (as goods to follow) and used the door-to-door service of a freight forwarding company? I am wondering if this can be done as every bit of information I found said that you have to clear your own personal effects through customs. Can an agent clear it for you if you provide them with the stamped B4 form and list that you presented during your landing? Or will we then have to pay duties and taxes on our possessions?

LaraDK

Hi @NadiaE 

I used door to door service: the movers packed my stuff up in SA and the next time I saw it was when it was delivered to my house in Canada. Very convenient.

All the information I found said you have to personally clear it through customs though, which I did. it was really quick  - in Toronto, the clearing place is right next to the airport and it did not even take 10 minutes. It is just paperwork -  you send that paper to your moving company and they deliver the goods to your door (if that is the option you chose). 

Re: customs and taxes - others on the forum may have more knowledge about this, but my understanding is that your possessions are exempt (as long as they are not new). However, you can't send them over and leave them in storage forever. They must be delivered somewhere within 6 months (I think?) otherwise you will pay tax on the declared value of the goods.

NadiaE

Hi @LaraDK

Thank you for the reply. I thought the clearance process would work like that.

We are settling in Saskatoon, but our shipment is received in Calgary and would then be transported to Saskatoon. This means we will have to specifically travel to Calgary to clear our possessions...

I was hoping we could avoid this somehow. Seems not... 

LaraDK

@NadiaE I hope someone on the forum from that region can give you better advice, but it may be possible that you can clear it at the Canada Border Services Agency right by the Saskatoon airport. Your shipping agent should also be able to tell you.

The office info is:

cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

(204) 983-3500
Edited by LaraDK

milo23

We are in North Battleford. We brought in an air freight container from JHB to Edmonton in Sept 2015. We had to go there to clear it and Pick it up. You get no help from the cargo handlers at all. We ended up having to borrow box cutters etc from them to cut open the nylon strapping on the crate so we could unpack the boxes off the pallet into our truck. With 2 whining kids in the car in the parking lot. So go prepared. 

CBSA agents very civil and paper work was done in less than 10

mins.