Sign in to follow this  
YolandeSchuld

WES evaluation of CATHSSETA Diploma

YolandeSchuld

Good day everyone

I am currently in the process of getting all my qualifications evaluated by WES and one of my qualifications is a National Diploma in Service Management (SAQA ID 20414) that I obtained at Capital Hotel School and Training Academy in 2010.I haven't worked in this field of study as I did my degree directly after.I have read through all the forums and I have also searched endlessly online and I think I know the answer to my question but I would love some confirmation. 

This National Diploma's primary or delegated quality assurance functionary is CATHSSETA (Culture, Arts, Tourism, Hospitality and Sports Education and Training Authority ).After I saw that they are not currently an accredited provider of the National Diploma in Service Management on the registered qualification page on the SAQA website and also inquiring as to whether or not Capital Hotel School is registered at the Department of Higher Education and the response was that they are not and their application is still in progress.I am quite concerned that they would not be a recognized institution at WES.

I have also been getting very vague responses from them with regards to my academic transcripts and this was their one response when I asked them for it " Firstly, I need to ensure that I have what is requested, as we do not keep information for longer that 5 years, as per our accreditation bodies requirements." I went to their campus today as I could only get off from work this morning and they told me that they can't help me and that they will try and accommodate me on the 4th of February.I was already unsure about submitting this qualification to WES but after today I am even more unsure and I just don't want to waste precious time trying to get these documents from them.

Deep down I know that WES will not evaluate it,especially after reading more about SETA qualifications/trade qualifications on these forums,but for some reason I just cant get rid of the feeling that maybe it will count for something and I just would just like confirmation.

Can someone please help my confused brain out?

LidiaS77

Hi @YolandeSchuld,

I don't have specific information about your qualification so these are just my thoughts about your situation. Is your CRS score without this qualification too low (i.e. under 440)? If not, then it might make sense to focus on getting your degree evaluated first as this will help you get to Canada, especially if you are not planning on working in the service industry in Canada. Even if you do get your Service Management Diploma assessed by WES you might still need to do extra certifications if you want to work in a specific field and probably need experience working in that field to be considered for a job in Canada anyway. This is just my opinion, but it sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth and personally I wouldn't let this delay my application. You always have the option of getting your diploma assessed later if it is an issue, but I would say rather get in the EE pool as soon as possible.

Edited by LidiaS77

YolandeSchuld

Hi @LidiaS77

Thank you so much for your response,our CRS score without this qualification is at 442 points which is cutting it rather close and I thought that this diploma might help increase my points.I agree with you,I would rather enter the express entry pool as soon as possible.I think I should get my degree evaluated first and then perhaps get the diploma evaluated after I have received my ECA report.

Thank you so much,I never even thought of doing it this way.I really appreciate your help and I hope you have a lovely day.

YolandeSchuld

Update:

I received my ECA after 3 months and the National Diploma in Service Management NQF 5 (2 years) ,that was completed at The Capital Hotel School was evaluated as  : Canadian Equivalency : Diploma ( two years).

The Capital Hotel School assisted me very well when we both adhered to a specific time and date,so make sure that you make an appointment to collect your academic records in a sealed enveloped from them.

I really hope this would assist someone with the same qualification in the future.