Sign in to follow this  
Joburger

Hoping for Toronto

Joburger

Hi everyone,

Thank you for this fantastic forum with so much valuable information and thank you for accepting our request to join. We are a family of four, we have two sons, the older recently started his studies in Europe and the younger will finish school in a year. My husband works for a Canadian company and we are considering moving to Toronto with the express entry visa. Idea is to apply soon and hopefully move once the younger one has finished school. We are originally from Jo'burg and currently live in Southeast Asia. 

I might as well start asking my first question off the bat I guess: 

If the whole process goes fine, we get invited and we move to Canada, (fingers crossed) we need to be in the country for a certain number of days to eventually apply for Canadian citizenship. These days, I think it adds up to about 3 years or something need to be within 5 years. Ok, now my question : what happens if my husband travels outside of Canada a  lot for work but I am permanently in Toronto living the dream. Whose days are counted? His because he is the main applicant or all of us individually? (The application for express entry will include my husband and I, perhaps that makes a difference?) 

Thanks again for including us into this vibrant and helpful community! And thanks also to any of you who know the answer to our question. 

- Joburger

JaQ

Hi @Joburger, if as a permanent resident you work outside of Canada for a Canadian company then you still get the days allocated to you as if you were in Canada itself.

Joburger

Hi @JaQ,

Thank you for your response! Oh wow, I just saw your timeline and you are on your way, how super exciting for you. A BIG CONGRATULATIONS! Which city will you be moving to? I have a similar concern with the whole days counting business (hahah as if there are no other issues in this massive undertaking!) for our older son. He is studying in Europe and will only be with us in Canada for his holidays and possibly for a university exchange program where the students can elect to do half a year /or a full year at another university. He is still dependent and will therefore be included in our application, how will this one go? 

Thanks in advance! 

JaQ

Hi @Joburger thank you, yes, I am steadily progressing. Once I have my police clearance certificate I can submit my PR application. I will probably look at Toronto, in terms of work it seems to be the right city for me. 

As for the specifics relating to eventual citizenship application you will have to check on their website for more information. I added a link below that might be helpful or lead to more detailed case specific situations. I only briefly read through some citizenship content a while back. Fortunately the forum is full of experienced members that are more knowledgeable and can hopefully give more information

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/check-eligibility.asp

Joburger

Thanks @JaQ, we will check out your link. Enjoy Toronto, I'm sure you are going to love it. 

MaryJane

Hi @Joburger

Welcome to the SACanada forums! Hope you find the answers to your questions.

For citizenship application, if you are applying as a family unit (note that the application is each individual, but submitted as a family application), then each applicant will need to fulfill the physical presence requirement.

There are exceptions to this rule. As far as I know though, it only deals with people who are working for the Canadian Armed Forces, federal public administration and public service of a province or territory.

This particular question is dealt with on the CIC website here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=370&top=5

Good luck with your journey though! You’ve got quite a way to go before citizenship but it’s good to plan ahead.

Joburger

Hi @MaryJane  Oh great, thank you very much for the information. We will go check it out. Yes, I know, I am a bit on the ridiculous side with this question so early on. Hahaha I would have made an excellent girl scout.