Sign in to follow this  
Marise

Family Class Sponsorship

Marise

Hi Everyone, 

Happy new year! 

I have a question I can't find an answer to on CIC. I currently have PR status and have lived in Canada for 3 months. 

At the time of doing my landing in Feb '18, I did not include my partner (boyfriend) on my family members for sponsorship list. We had only been living together for 6 months and did not qualify as common-law-partners. The plan was for him to come to Canada through his employer so it did not concern us. 

Since then, we have gotten engaged (yay us!) and we learnt that his employer can no longer assist in getting him status in Canada. Our next option is for me to sponsor him. 

We currently qualify as conjugal partners and I can sponsor him under the family class. BUT - How do I add him to my family members list in order to sponsor him? OR do we explain the situation in our application form (a letter to the immigration officer)?. 

Thank you for your help! 

Marise

Chris Sampson

Hi Marise,

I don't think any explanation is required as your fiance was not eligible as conjugal partner at the time you created initial sponsorship. You would thus simply apply to sponsor him now. You do in any case require separate sponsorship form for each person you sponsor. What is not clear from what you have written above is if you have already sponsored any members of your family or simply listed them. If you are already sponsoring a family member the minimum income amount for the additional sponsorship will increase. ( lookup LICO ).

Marise

Hi Chris, 

Thank you for your feedback. That is what we were thinking as well. 

I haven't sponsored any other family members yet, I only listed them.