4DEE

LMIA

4DEE

Good day all.

Not sure if this was asked before on this forum.

What kind of jobs do and do not require a LMIA. What is an LMIA job offer.When I went on the CIC website they mentioned that some jobs may be exempt from LMIA but doesn't show any additional info.

(Cape Town based Electrical Engineer).

Edited by 4DEE
Clarity

Nelline

Most job offers to foreign workers require an LMIA. The exceptions are employment offers like those to religious workers, some professional artists and athletes (think internationally recognized bands, artists, actors, Olympian Athletes etc) the spouses of LMIA work permit holders and valid Study Permit Holders (i.e the spouse would qualify for an Open Work Permit) etc
Job offers via the AIPP do not require an LMIA. I posted a thread on this recently.
The LMIA basically is proof that the employer could not source a local worker for the job in hand. And it makes it very expensive to employ a foreigner hence the difficulty in obtaining employment form abroad without PR.

• Like 1

4DEE

Thank you Nelline. All along I thought the LMIA was for the temporary workers who wish to apply for the work permit.

Nelline
7 hours ago, 4DEE said:

Thank you Nelline. All along I thought the LMIA was for the temporary workers who wish to apply for the work permit.

Let me clarify. Job offers to Permanent residents do not require an LMIA. By "foreign workers" I implied those who do not have leave to remain in Canada. I apologise for the confusion

• Like 1