Charmar

Possible to take domestic with us?

Charmar

Hello Everyone,

Just joined the forum and been so helpful to read all the posts. Thank you.

We have just received our COPR, we plan to land in April 2019. I am wondering about the possibility of taking our helper with us. We have four kids, ages 2 - 10.

Anybody done this before, or have any idea how we can go about doing this..if at all possible?

Nelline

I don't know of anyone who's done this but my first thought was you'd need to explore the caregiver route and what is needed to bring a caregiver to Canada. Go to CIC's webpage and search for "caregiver"
She'd need a work permit in order to work legally in Canada

I had a quick look and it seems there is a route from which you (and by you I mean the potential caregiver) can apply for a work permit from outside the country to work as a caregiver in Canada but that that route is currently closed. The only caregivers who can currently apply for a work permit or extension to a current work permit are ones who already have experience as a caregiver in Canada.

Cathy K

Agree with Nelline. It will be far too much red tape. 

Things are different in Canada. Here, housekeeping is a specialized, well paid and skilled job, done by individuals who usually operate their own companies.

Nanny services must adhere to various rules and regulations regarding minimum wage, accommodation requirements, etc.  https://www.nannyservices.ca/

There is a very good reason why few families in Canada have maids and gardeners, the main one being unaffordability.

CharleneK

These are the employment standards for domestic worker's in BC. These standards are similar in all provinces in Canada. Not clearly stated is that you will have to pay Worker's Compensation premiums to protect her (and you) should she get injured at work. You are not allowed to deduct these premiums from her salary. You may deduct a maximum of $325 room and board per month, but that is contingent on providing suitable accommodation, typically a bedroom, bathroom and utilities.

Nettie

If your helper helps with the kids and household chores, it would be an Au pair (as far as I know nannies only take care of children within set hours).  If she's interested she can perhaps look at https://www.aupairworld.com/en/au_pair_program/canada