Raymond&Chantelle

Immigrate as millwright(trade)

Raymond&Chantelle

Hi guys would really appreciate some help regarding immigration as a millwright to Alberta.

I talked to a person at the Alberta apprenticeship and industry training, and they said I don't need to rewrite my trade, I just need to find a employer that will appoint me according to my work experience.

Does it sound write? 

Did anyone immigrate to Alberta as a millwright?

Where did you begin and which steps did you take to go to Canada. 

Kind regards

Dedré

Hi Raymond,

Welcome to the forum. We live in Alberta.

...and they said I don't need to rewrite my trade,...

https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/trades-occupations/profiles/016/

Working in Alberta

To work as an industrial mechanic (millwright) in Alberta, a person must:

• be a registered apprentice, an Alberta-certified journeyperson, hold a valid recognized credential , OR
  • work for an employer who is satisfied that the worker has the skills and knowledge expected of a certified journeyperson, OR
  • be self-employed.

Individuals possessing a valid recognized credential in Alberta are eligible to receive a Blue Seal business credential after completing the necessary requirements.

Go look on the above site to see if it helps.

That said, I understand every province has their own Red Seal requirements/exams. (Can someone confirm please?) 

The economy is really down at the moment here in Alberta. It is heartbreaking.  If you are eager to come to Canada, I would not stick to just Alberta for now. BC has lots of growth right now, and Saskatchewan is great too. Finding a job is the best way to go, but if you qualify on age and points, get that PR application in anyway. A job search can take long and the points are dropping regularly... Just do both. When you arrive on a WP you have PR in already. 

I did a quick search on the forum for "Millwright" and there are quite a few topics started previously; maybe it can help finding those people and perusing through older posts. If you don't hear from them responding to your question, try and contact them too.

http://www.sacanada.org/search/?q=millwright&type=forums_topic

Remember to come back and tell us what you have found out and how the process goes for you. It will in turn help others who are also millwrights.

• Like 1

Ulrichm

Hi Dedre 

I'm a bit worried to hear that the economy is down in Alberta as we are hoping to move there...if everything goes well...what does it generally mean..wo8ld it be sort of impossible t0 get work? My husband is an electrical engineer

Looking forward to hearing from you 

Best regards 

Barries

Hi,

Its basically impossible to find work while still in SA. I live in Port Elizabeth and do job searching since June with no luck, not even any replies. I'm a qualified Millwright with 12 years pharmaceutical experiences, travelled the world for my company and cannot find any job offers from Canada. I'm registered with a Canadian immigration lawyer and all my paperwork is ready but I need a job offer to get my EE score up. I've tried everything now and even all the LinkedIn job applications is a waste of time. I really don't know what to do anymore and my wife is in tears because she don't want to stay here anymore. I have enough money to support my immigration costs and to settle ourselves in Canada, can anyone please help me and advise what to try differently.

Thanks in advance,

Barries.

MartinG

I can't really give advice, but I can share what I've done thus far.

I also applied relentlessly and got nowhere. Thought it will help if I get my trade (Electrician) accredited - so called "Challenging". I applied with BC's ITA, got accepted and studied A LOT! Got a visitor's VISA with the exam letter from the ITA and sat for the exam in Burnaby. Passed the exam but still got no replies from anyone ... not even recruiters... no-one. So yes, it's impossible in my opinion to get an offer from SA for a "popular" trade. Perhaps a different story if your occupation is sought after.

But, ... the Red Seal accreditation did help me get an invitation to apply under the Federal Skilled Trades stream with 298 EE points in May. So now I'm playing the waiting game.

MaryJane

I was actually gonna say...

If you have been looking at Canada since June, and you have a lawyer helping you, then you are probably aware that there are program-specific draws that happen. They are rare and unexpected but they do happen. The last time was in Sep 2018 and the previous one before that was in May 2018.

So if your profile was already on the EE pool, then the chance might have been there to get chosen. Mind you, you still needed the score but I believe that the EE scores required for the Skilled Trades draws are not very high - 284 at the last draw I think.

There is also the harsh alternative to the “anywhere but here” issue, which is to look at other countries, any country. There are many countries that have immigration programs, and Canada is just one of them. If your family is wanting to leave SA and you have the means to do it, it might be worth a shot to look at other countries. Just saying.

Anyways, good luck. Hope everything works out.

OutOfSa

Hi Raymond & Barries

THIS IS NOT AN OFFER OF WORK - OR ANY PROMISES -  BUT AN ATTEMPT TO OFFER A WISP OF HOPE. 

I will PM you a message, respond to it if you'd like to.

Please don't post the message or disclose the content on the forum.

Dedré
On 12/9/2018 at 8:17 AM, Ulrichm said:

Hi Dedre 

I'm a bit worried to hear that the economy is down in Alberta as we are hoping to move there...if everything goes well...what does it generally mean..wo8ld it be sort of impossible t0 get work? My husband is an electrical engineer

Looking forward to hearing from you 

Best regards 

@Ulrichm, yes, it is bad news. My husband is employed and looking for work. There is really very little over Stampede and Christmas in general. But everyone is against Alberta at the moment. Better look everywhere in Canada. Heard the Atlantic Provinces are better for now.