Sign in to follow this  
StuartW

Car Lease/Rental

StuartW

Hi Everyone,

I am glad to have joined my fellow Saffers in Canada, with our landing last week.

We are currently going through the motions of ticking off things we need to do, with our current task at hand of getting our G Drivers License. We would really like to rent a vehicle for a considerable amount of time (+- 1 month) in order to get in quite a bit of practice, make sure we quite used to the right hand driving, parking etc. we Also would like to have a car handy should we want to take some short trips out of the City.

So my question is, has anyone had success getting a good deal on a Car Rental/Car Lease? Has anyone tried doing a Car Lease? Please could you give me your experiences around this matter? Preferably experience around Toronto, but if you have dealt with a company thats available around the country that would good to know about too.

Regards,

Stuart

Reibtseb

I rented the cheapest option that Avis had, but it was only for a week. Drove around as much as I could in that week, and did the driving test without any mishaps. I did go for 2 lessons just to find out what they look for during the test, and what I might be doing wrong.

JohanR

Hi Stuart

We did the car rental thing when we arrived. We rented on a monthly basis. 

Some points to consider:

Insurance was quite expensive. Some of the companies quoted around $500 for the month. Car was anywhere around 800-1000 cad without the insurance. We ended up Iversta as they were the cheapest $900 odd for the month including insurance . You have to check the car with a fine tooth comb though. Any mark and scratch. Even if there is a mark on the sidewall of the tire let them mark it.

With Iversta you had to collect and drop off near Pearson though.