Sign in to follow this  
CDFLY

NewFoundland advise and questions

CDFLY

Good day all.

Me and my family (Wife and 9 year old)moving to Newfoundland (Gander) in January and have some questions.

What can we budget on Electricity/Utilities per month?

Also +- how much will insurance be on a car worth about $10 000?

Have a great week 

CDFLY

Edited by CDFLY

Nelline

Good luck with the move! What will you be doing in Gander?

The budget for electricity etc really depends on various factors and also local climate. Heating and cooling costs over the various seasons will cause bills to fluctuate. Some companies offer a service whereby they "gauge" what your yearly costs will  be based on the number of rooms in the house and number of occupants and then you pay the same every month, and they adjust it as needs be.

Type of heating also plays a part. Gas-based heating, for example, is less expensive than electricity, but not available everywhere. A heat pump can make a HUGE difference in costs.

Car insurance - more based on the driver than the value of the car, so you'll find as a "new driver" in Canada it can be VERY expensive to purchase insurance. My best advice in the past to newly landed immigrants has been to buy an older car cash and NOT to choose comprehensive insurance, just the obligatory "3rd party" (or whatever its called over here) until you hit the magic "3 year mark" when insurance costs will  start coming down if you haven't h ad to claim in that time... If you buy a "valuable" car you'll need comprehensive insurance - I can remember being quoted $6,500 per annum in Ontario in 2013 and nearly having a panic attack!

• Like 2

Gerhard SaNamCan
On 11/4/2018 at 10:52 PM, Nelline said:

buy an older car cash and NOT to choose comprehensive insurance

@Nelline  This is a great idea / suggestion. Never thought of it as an option

• Like 1

CDFLY
On 11/4/2018 at 10:52 PM, Nelline said:

Good luck with the move! What will you be doing in Gander?

The budget for electricity etc really depends on various factors and also local climate. Heating and cooling costs over the various seasons will cause bills to fluctuate. Some companies offer a service whereby they "gauge" what your yearly costs will  be based on the number of rooms in the house and number of occupants and then you pay the same every month, and they adjust it as needs be.

Type of heating also plays a part. Gas-based heating, for example, is less expensive than electricity, but not available everywhere. A heat pump can make a HUGE difference in costs.

Car insurance - more based on the driver than the value of the car, so you'll find as a "new driver" in Canada it can be VERY expensive to purchase insurance. My best advice in the past to newly landed immigrants has been to buy an older car cash and NOT to choose comprehensive insurance, just the obligatory "3rd party" (or whatever its called over here) until you hit the magic "3 year mark" when insurance costs will  start coming down if you haven't h ad to claim in that time... If you buy a "valuable" car you'll need comprehensive insurance - I can remember being quoted $6,500 per annum in Ontario in 2013 and nearly having a panic attack!

Hi Nelline.

Thank you for the message. Sorry for the late reply. I was fortunate enough to get a pilot position in Gander.

On week 13 now waiting for our Work Permit to be approved, so hopefully we will be coming to Canada soon! 

Yes we will definitely buy a car cash, Ive also heard from soomeone, that you can try and speak to a bank manager, pay the bank for the car cash(like a 100%deposit) but finance it, and then you start building credit immediately, not sure if this is possible but we will have a go at that.

In the mean time I got a letter from my insurance company in SA that states Ive been with them for x nr of years without a claim, and also now busy to get a verification letter for my drivers license in SA. Just maybe it will help with the license conversion and insurance.

We cant wait to get on the plane now, our lives really on hold now, as we live in a small rental apartment, and already sold my wifes car etc. Maybe we are a bit optimistic, but I guess if it falls through its all earthly things we can buy again.

Thanks again for the reply.

Enjoy your week!

Edited by CDFLY
Spelling
  • Like 1