Eloff's

Pets

Eloff's

Hi Everyone, 

We are planning on coming over to Canada in Jan 2019 and we want to bring our 3 fur babies with. We are looking for some suggestions on pet travel agencies. What was your experience and who did you use?  Also when did you take them over? 

Thank you in advance. 

sueannejoe

Hi @Eloff's my friend who brought her two dogs over used a company called Aero Pets and she said they were amazing.

• Like 1

Eloff's

Thank you very much for the advice and information. We really do appreciate it.

• Like 1

Lara1

Hi @Eloff's, just wanted to check in to hear who/ how you got your pets across.

I have to relocate my Rhodesian Ridgeback in March when we move to Toronto as well. I really need a company that will go the extra mile for us.

Can anyone on the forum please share any experiences they have recently had with relocation their pets? 

Then lastly, how do you manage with large dogs in the winter at home? Our dog is preety docile a d used to indoors, but we bath him outside and he is not used to being indoors all of the time. I cannot imagine putting him in a crate when we go out during the daytime ...

Nelline
2 hours ago, Lara1 said:

Then lastly, how do you manage with large dogs in the winter at home? Our dog is preety docile a d used to indoors, but we bath him outside and he is not used to being indoors all of the time. I cannot imagine putting him in a crate when we go out during the daytime ...

Hi @Lara1 can't help with advice on relocating your RR but I can answer part of your question. We have three male Hungarian Vizslas and I'd guess they are as large if not maybe slightly larger than a RR, and they are inside dogs. They are very active but their "on and off" buttons work really well, so they love their walks (although not much actual "walking" gets done because they just run a lot and stop only to sniff at things etc) but inside the house they like being around us, do lots of sleeping and hang out with us watching tv etc. I work from home a lot and they stay with me in their beds, or stand by the window trying to spot things to bark at. :P 

I don't believe in leaving any dog unattended and loose in the house so yes we do crate them when no-one is home, but this is rarely for more than a few hours at a time and they always get a run outside first. At night the two adults sleep in their crate too, so they are happy to go for as long as 8 hours at night, but then we are in the house and would wake up if they needed attention (which they rarely do, when they sleep they SLEEP! ha ha!) The younger pup, who is about 7 months old now, sleeps with us in our room.
My friend Liza has a Bernese Mountain dog and she doesn't crate him. She works a full day, lives alone so doesn't have anyone to share the "dog related tasks" with - she has a spare room where his bed, waterbowl and toys are and he is happy being left all day. Not ideal but she does have one of those cameras installed in the room so she checks up on him using the feed to her computer and if she's not happy he's settled and calm, she can drive home to attend to him.

Someone else I know made a space in their basement for their dogs to stay during the day, with a "litter-box" they trained the dogs to use if they need to go to go potty.

Another person pays a retired neighbor to take their dog out at lunchtime for a walk.

It is harder being a pet owner in winter time, for sure. Unless you have a fenced in area, it usually means having to dress in boots, warm jacket, glove etc each time the dogs needs to go out. This can be a royal pain. Also, picking up after them can get tedious if you need to take gloves off to use a poo bag... I must confess we don't take them for walks when its really cold or if (like now) there's a storm outside, but they seem to cope pretty well and only dash outside for potty breaks when we tell them they HAVE to go outside now... as soon as they get cold the two adult dogs dash back inside again! They have smooth coats whereas the puppy is a wirehaired and likes staying out longer. As it happens we don't have fences, but we don't go out with them for potty breaks because they're trained to respond to whistle commands and will come back inside as soon as we ask them to.

What I'm trying to get across is that people and dogs cope, and everyone puts coping mechanisms in place to suit their lifestyle as far as absences from home and exercise in winter etc is concerned.

Lara1

@Nelline - great! Thanks so much for the valuable information! Its seems workable!

• Like 1

Eloff's

@Lara1

We got quite a few quotes for the transport of our pets. (We have three pets going across, a chow cross, a jack russel and a cat.) The quotes varied quite significantly in price.

We narrowed the field down by looking at first what the travel agencies offered, their response time and the answers received to our questions asked.

Our two options that we ended up were Petport and Aeropets Worldwide.

We ended up going with Aeropets Worldwide as I felt that they not only answered my questions but gave additional information. You also deal with the same person from start to finish. With pet port they only answered the questions asked and the person that deals with the quotations is not the person that organises the actual travel of your pet. I felt more comfortable knowing the person that I am dealing with instead of dealing with one person and then being handed over to an unknown person once we accepted the quotation.

I have been working with Paula at Aeropets and she is very good with helping with information and does not mind answering any questions that you might have. She replies to communication quite fast and will make follow up phone calls to make sure that all is in place and that you are still happy.

An example is when they delivered the travelling boxes. We were not at home and she phone to give a time that they will be delivered. She phoned to say when they arrived at the house in order for us to ask the lady working in the house to open up. She then phoned a third time to enquire where we would like the boxes to be placed that we did not have to move them around.

She also phoned a few days after the boxes were delivered to enquire whether the boxes are the correct size and whether we are happy with them.

Our pets are flying out of Johannesburg on the 5th of February only, but I have been more than happy with the service till now.

I hope this helps!

• Like 1

JjPat

Hi everyone

My husband and I are still waiting to hear back regarding our PR but I like to be prepared. 

Our plan is to go over first to land and find a place but I am a bit worried about the weather effecting my daschund x and my cat. My folks said they are happy to bring them over once we’ve settled and it starts to get warmer. 

Does any one have any experience with this or sending for your pet unaccompanied? I don’t know how I’m going to manage without my fur-babies for more than a month! 

(Also is it as tough to find a pet friendly place in Toronto as it is in Cape Town?) 

GeneeP

Hi all, 

What is needed for pet entry/pet passport for entry to canada for a cat? so far my research tells me its only a veterinarian certificate confirming the cat received a rabies vaccination. is there a waiting period and special blood tests? (that was my experienced when we moved to England). 

Thanks!

AdamCT
Personally, I would strongly discourage the use of Petport's services. We had a terrible experience with them - which may be unique to us - but happened nonetheless and left a very poor taste:
  1. Lack of agent communication - before, during and after the transportation.
  2. Lack of transparency on process - minimal details given even though requested on multiple occasions. No insight into what is meant to happen to our pet throughout
  3. Billing transparency - details of bill were requested multiple times, none given.
  4. Agent unreachable - This was the BIGGEST problem - during the flights and actual transport of our pet the agent was not reachable AT ALL. She did not provide any of the updates & photos that were promised and could not be reached AT ALL.
  5. Terrible after-hours service - incompetent and completely non-responsive after-hours support. NOT what you want during emergency situations

Deirdre

Please post this on the following FB group

Might help alot of people

IMG_20200805_211141.jpg

AdamCT

Hi Deirdre.

I do not use Facebook so please feel free to paste my post there on my behalf. You can post it on any other forum / social media you deem fit.

For what it's worth, the Canadian company that dealt with the Canada-leg of the journey (Worldwide Animal Travel) was fantastic, efficient and always responsive - I would strongly recommend them.

To those reading this post, please do NOT make my mistake of using Petport.

logan
On 8/7/2020 at 8:43 AM, AdamCT said:

Worldwide Animal Travel) was fantastic

+1