Sign in to follow this  
Daddy's Girl

Marriage Cerificate, handwritten, abridged or unabridged?

Daddy's Girl

Hi There

We received our ITA this week and I am trying to go through the list of documents required and seeing what we have and what I need to source. There is very little description on what is required with regards to the marriage certificate. The description reads as follows:             

"The marriage must be valid under the law of the country where it took place and under Canadian law. A marriage performed in an embassy or consulate must comply with the law of the host country where it took place, not the country of nationality of the embassy or consulate." This sounds like as long as its a legal marriage the type of certificate doesn't really matter.

We do not have an unabridged marriage certificate and these take 6-8 weeks so don't want to apply for this unless it is absolutely necessary. Please can those who have submitted successful PR applications provide me with some insight.

Thanks in advance

LidiaS77

Congratulations on your ITA!!!

We applied at the end of 2016 for EE (FSW) with just our handwritten marriage certificate and had no problems 🙂

Daddy's Girl

Hi LidiaS77

Thank you so much for your reply. Was this the handwritten one you receive directly after your wedding? A little white piece of paper with your officiater's signature on?

Wow if it's the same one that will be the biggest relief. I have turned my house upside down looking for the printed one from home affairs, but to no avail. 

LidiaS77

Yes, that one! Someone on here advised us to get the unabridged one anyway since the ink might fade on the handwritten one over time, but we never had to use that for anything yet.

Kitcat

The marriage certificate seems to depend very much on the specific immigration agent reviewing your application. We submitted our unabridged marriage certificate and then got a request from the CIC to show a marriage certificate that showed the date the marriage was registered rather than a certificate to show the date the marriage took place. It was a rather odd request, and there is no such certificate in SA, so we then submitted our handwritten one with a letter of explanation to say that this is the only kind of marriage certificate in SA. We're now still waiting for PPR. If you have time, then I'd suggest getting the unabridged marriage certificate, even if just for your own records, as you never know when you may need it (ours took six months to get), but as Lidia mentions above, I've seen many have success just submitting their hand-written one.

Willem sing

We too used the handwritten one, and that was accepted (May 2018) without any issues.

NW18

Congratulations! wish you luck. You can apply for the printed version whilst you submit the handwritten one. In case they absolutely require they should request this as additional document by which time you should have your printed one :)

Daddy's Girl

Thank you so much everyone. I will apply for the printed one and submit the handwritten one if the print version doesn't arrive in time. 

While we are on the topic, what did everyone use for proof of name change doc? I got married and my name changed... What legal document shows this? Not too sure what to submit for this one. 

TIA

Nelline
2 hours ago, Daddy's Girl said:

Thank you so much everyone. I will apply for the printed one and submit the handwritten one if the print version doesn't arrive in time. 

While we are on the topic, what did everyone use for proof of name change doc? I got married and my name changed... What legal document shows this? Not too sure what to submit for this one. 

TIA

Your marriage certificate should be fine - I used that (regular printed one from Home Affairs)

LidiaS77
6 hours ago, Daddy's Girl said:

what did everyone use for proof of name change doc?

We submitted our marriage certificate as well as a copy of my old and new IDs showing my maiden and married surnames. In the Letter of Explanation we just said that these are the only documents that we received that proves this name change and it was accepted without any problems.