Hilmarie

Express Entry Profile - complete/full academic years?

Hilmarie

I am unsure as to how I should complete the "complete/full academic years" field for the degrees listed below.

In general, does this question ask for the number of years one was enrolled in a particular program or for the official length of the program?

(1) I have a masters in mathematical statistics which I believe is officially a 2 year degree, however,  I completed the degree over the span of 5 years. The first year was full time course work and thereafter it was dissertation work only. WES has confirmed that this degree is the equivalent of a Canadian masters degree.

(2) I have a mphil in mathematical finance which I completed over a period of 18 months. The first 12 months was full time course work and thereafter it was dissertation work only. WES has confirmed that this degree is the equivalent of a Canadian masters degree.

(3) My husband received his BComm in 2013 but was enrolled in the program in 2004-2006 and then again in 2011-2012. WES has confirmed that this degree is the equivalent of a Canadian Bachelors degree (three years).

Has anyone been in the same position and had a successful PR application?

Hilmarie

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide some advice regarding the questions above. Surely there must have been many individuals who have completed an EE profile with a e.g. masters degree that took longer than the official time of the program. How did you answer the "number of full/complete academic years" question?

Edited by Hilmarie

Hilmarie

Anyone?

Amy G

@Hilmarie We had a similar situation - we answered that question with the number of years enrolled in the program (so not the official length of the program), and our application was successful :) 

For your husbands degree, I would not count the gap and add the years he was actually studying/enrolled. 

Hilmarie

@Amy G Thank you so much!

logan

@Hilmarie -- I can back up what @Amy G said: I used the number of years I was officially enrolled at uni. No questions raised by IRCC.

Hilmarie

Thank you very much @logan!

Any idea what to do if a course was full time (based on IRCC's definition) for first year of the course and then part time for the second year (since it only consisted of writing a dissertation there was no class time) - does one report this to be a full time or part time course?

GuyRussy
8 hours ago, Hilmarie said:

Thank you very much @logan!

Any idea what to do if a course was full time (based on IRCC's definition) for first year of the course and then part time for the second year (since it only consisted of writing a dissertation there was no class time) - does one report this to be a full time or part time course?

You can report this as full time. My masters consisted of 1yr course work and 1yr mink-dissertation (no class time-with me finishing the dissertation in two years).