Sign in to follow this  
Hilmarie

Spelling of given name on passport VS IELTS and WES forms

Hilmarie
Hi,

I have a question regarding the spelling of my given name on express entry profile and PR application. On my passport my given name ends in an "é" but because a lot of online systems does not allow one to use any special characters my name on e.g. my IELTS certificate and WES letters ends in an "e" and not an "é". 

According to information on the CIC website "If a document used to identify a name contains a name with rench accents such as "é" in the VI, the spelling can be used when establishing a name record in CIC's system of record. 

My question is two-fold:
(1) Should I spell my given name exactly as on my passport i.e. with the "é" or just with an "e"?
(2) Will it cause problems if my name on my EE profile is spelled with an "é" while my name on my IELTS and WES forms is spelled with an "e"?

Thank you.
Edited by Hilmarie

MaryJane

I suspect that what you use on your EE profile may ultimately be what is printed on your first Canadian document (and thereafter every Canadian document). In this case, if it was me, I will use the é (my personal choice).

I don’t believe there will be a major issue with regards IELTS and WES. I think you can confidently prove that é and e are one and the same person, if need be.

Jeandre

My name is spelt Jeandré, but I often (and in the case of the PR application) use Jeandre, as many of the systems/forms/etc don't allow or don't work well with 'foreign' characters. To that end I used the non-accented version of my name on WES, IELTS, EE profile and PR application. They accepted it without a hitch (or at least in my case) and never came back to me with questions surrounding the name. Strangely, the immigrant visa that was applied to the passport has Jeandre on it, although the passport has Jeandré. And no one at customs/immigration queried this upon arrival. So you should be fine using Hilmarie. Perhaps just confirm this with PTA immigration office first, but I suspect they will come back with the same. Good luck with the application! :)

Hilmarie

Thank you very much Mary Jane and Jeandre!

Nelline

My surname is officially Cronjé but we started using Cronje a while ago... no issues

Hilmarie

Thank you very much @Nelline! Apologies for the late reply!

• Like 1

Nelline

Nearly a year!! :D

Hilmarie

In my defense - we moved to Toronto in the meanwhile so I have been a tiny bit busy 🙂  But yes - sorry again!