JennyVee

Travel Insurance Advice

JennyVee

Hi folks

I've been trying to figure out the best way to sort this out, and advice would be much appreciated.

We leave SA at the end of November, travel for 2 days (6-hour layover in Frankfurt) then arrive in Calgary - our port of entry and final destination. From what I understand, our family is covered by the Albertan health care system as soon as we land. (@Leticia's post was super helpful in explaining this)

I'm keen to hear how you wrapped things up with your South African medical aid. Did you just apply for international cover for you travel days, and then cancel your package? In our case there's a 30-day waiting period before the account is terminated.  So I guess we'll cancel at the end of October, apply for international cover, and viola. Is it really this simple or am I missing something...?

sueannejoe

Hi @JennyVee, I live in Toronto, so there was a three-month waiting period to join the Ontario Health Insurance. In that time, I was still covered by my medical aid in SA. I just had to notify them of my international travel. I then gave them a month's notice closer to the time. 

GrantM

We kept our Discovery for an extra month and I made sure to get proof of travel coverage from them before leaving.

Remember that when you land in Alberta you aren't covered right away, you need to go to a registry and fill out the AHS forms. It's not automatic.

• Like 1

Helanie

We did the same as what GrantM did - our Discovery plan (medical aid) covered 60 / 90 days overseas so we know we at least had some coverage in Canada while we were waiting for our MSP / BC medical to kick in as there is a waiting period in BC.

Jeandre
8 hours ago, sueannejoe said:

I live in Toronto, so there was a three-month waiting period to join the Ontario Health Insurance.

Just wanted to check if this is still the case, as I'm planning to use a mailed bank statement as the proof of address (when it arrives soon) when going to ServiceOntario, but not sure if they check the '3 month waiting period' on application of the first card? Do they use the landing date on the CoPR for this? Their site says 153 days of the first 183 (https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-2) but that's then more than 5 months? Or is it a case of being able to apply for the card, but not being able to use the 'benefit' until the 3/5 month period passes?

MaryJane

The 3 month waiting period is still in effect in Ontario for newcomers. I believe they use the landing date on the COPR.

The 153 out of 183 days is more for continued eligibility. You have to be living “continuously” in Ontario for 5 of the last 6 months since you arrive in the province.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jeandre

Thanks MaryJane. Perhaps a stupid question, but does that mean that I won't be able to apply for the health card/OHIP, for the first three months? Or that I won't be able to 'use the insurance' for the first 3 (but able to go to ServiceOntario and apply for the card in the meantime)?

MaryJane
5 hours ago, Jeandre said:

Thanks MaryJane. Perhaps a stupid question, but does that mean that I won't be able to apply for the health card/OHIP, for the first three months? Or that I won't be able to 'use the insurance' for the first 3 (but able to go to ServiceOntario and apply for the card in the meantime)?

When I applied for mine long ago, ServiceOntario wouldn't let me prior to the 3 months being up. Only then could I apply. I have heard though that others were able to apply but that the card only arrived around the 3-month mark.

You won't be able to use the "insurance" if you do not have the OHIP card.

• Like 1

Jeandre
37 minutes ago, MaryJane said:

When I applied for mine long ago, ServiceOntario wouldn't let me prior to the 3 months being up. Only then could I apply. I have heard though that others were able to apply but that the card only arrived around the 3-month mark.

You won't be able to use the "insurance" if you do not have the OHIP card.

Thanks. I'll brave the lines and try my luck :)

Jules
3 hours ago, Jeandre said:

Thanks. I'll brave the lines and try my luck :)

No long lines. Not like home afffairs. 

Willem sing

Hi @JennyVee

Below two quotes from earlier posts on this forum. Not sure how right or wrong these are, but maybe worthwhile to double check as part of your preparations:

"Apparently you can only claim back from Discovery and your travel insurance if you have a RETURN ticket."

"Be careful - the 'automatic' travel insurance you get by paying for your flights by credit card specifically excludes travel which is for the purpose of immigration. I went to my local branch (Tyger Valley) of AA Travel and bought one week's cover ('cos I was stopping off in Europe en route to BC) for about R400 - not quite for free, but much better than paying $10 000 for a week's stay in hospital out of your own pocket, whether in Europe or Canada."

MaryJane
11 hours ago, Jules said:

No long lines. Not like home afffairs. 

Totally.

JohanR
21 hours ago, Jeandre said:

You can apply earlier, all they will do is only send the card just before the three months is up. At least that was what we experience.

JennyVee

Thanks for the replies, @sueannejoe and @Willem sing :) 

And super thanks for this, @GrantM 

On 10/10/2018 at 4:57 PM, GrantM said:

Remember that when you land in Alberta you aren't covered right away, you need to go to a registry and fill out the AHS forms. It's not automatic.

• Like 1