Liezelleroux

Education points

Liezelleroux

Hi

Do you only get points for your highest qualification or do you for example get 119 for 2 or more degrees and extra 28 for your matric certificate?

After submitting our EE this weekend we were quite shocked and de-motivated with the low score.

I thought through myself being a CA, having a 3 years bachelors in business as well, with over 10 years audit and accounting experience, language overall of 8 and 31 years of age, would get more than 395.

Any thoughts?

Have a nice day.

Edited by Liezelleroux

Meyer88

Hi

What are your IELTS scores respectively for LRWS?

• Like 2

Liezelleroux

Hi

Thank you for your reply. My scores are as follows:

Reading 9

Listening 9

Speaking 8

Writing 6.5.

I suppose I could take the test again to improve the score?

Amy G

@Liezelleroux your points are low because of your writing score of 6.5. If you can improve your writing score to at least a 7, your points will go up by about 50 :)  

• Like 2

Liezelleroux

Hi Amy

Wow! Really? Thats hectic. I thought my writing was good lol but I guess not. Will definitely have to give it another go. Thanks for the reply. Means a lot. 

Kitcat

Hi @Liezelleroux, you only get points for your highest qualification. When did you do your IELTS? If you're still within the time frame, consider applying for a remark of your writing section. Do you have a partner applying with you? Have they also done IELTS and had their qualifications assessed? This could add up to 20 points.

Edited by Kitcat
  • Like 1

Kitcat

I see on another post that you have underdrad and two postgrads. Did you select the two or more degrees/certificates for your EE profile? What was your education evaluated as by WES?

• Like 1

Liezelleroux

Hi Kit

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. 

IELTS was done on 2 Aug. Husband did it with me yes, but his qualifications were not assessed as we thought better I just do it as I have more qualifications than him. 

Yip I have bachelors in business 3 years, bachelors in accounting 4 years and 2 post grad diplomas which lead to my CA qualification.

I did select that option yes. But I think that Im going to revisit the profile this weekend and make sure everything is ticked correctly.

I did it through IQAS who stated all qualifications as it should be.

How did your process go?

Kitcat

If your husband has a diploma/degree it’s definitely worth getting it assessed to gain those extra points.

You may still be within the time frame to request a remark on your writing, so definitely look into it before rebooking the whole thing. 

We’re currently awaiting our PR after applying in April - it’s been a long, slow five and a half months, so we’re really hoping to hear something soon.

Good luck with your process!! 🙂

Edited by Kitcat
  • Like 1

Meyer88

Just to echo what everybody else said Liezel,

Totally worth getting a remark or just booking and doing your IELTS again.

I went on the CRS calculator as you probably did already and if you better your writing your points will increase from 395 to 455.

And you will surely get an ITA. So without a doubt do that, I know it sucks and its a hassle especially if you don't live near JHB/PTA/CPT like we do, so it's taking off from work and this and that not even to mention how mentally draining it gets 

We received our COPR's a month or so ago and although not even in Canada yet it is so rewarding when you done with all the EE application stuff and you get that passport back from VFS, I tell you being a guy that mixes up my are's /is's  sometimes :)  , it was a such a proud moment for me to achieve the desired IELTS score. As I know a lot of people do it quite easily, I have also seen people fail badly. Ultimately nothing in IELTS is difficult the most important part is you should go through the format of the exam so you know what to expect during the LRWS sections. That will ensure you manage your time effectively and ultimately eliminate the silly mistakes.

Your IELTS scores are excellent, its just that writing.

PS - If you haven't already YouTube "LIZ IELTS" her stuff is really helpful and gives you a lot of tips on the structure and the items that will cost you marks in the IELTS writing section.

Good luck,

• Like 2

NW18

I agree with everyone here @Liezelleroux. You can get up to 8 additional points for your spouses degree if I can remember correctly. Also if you improve your writing score to 7 even better 7.5 then you can easily add 60 additional points 😀

• Like 1

Liezelleroux

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond :) will definitely start looking into doing the test again. 

Have a nice day :)

Nelline

My hubby had 9.5 across all the 4 on IELTS. Just saying it can be done, and he did no special prep for it, just did some practice tests to gain a "feel" for what they wanted.

Liezelleroux

Wow! Thats amazing!!!! Well done :)