Sign in to follow this  
StuartW

Insurance (Theft/Loss) during transition

StuartW

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone looked into Insurance for personal items whilst moving over? I spoke to my broker and Travel insurance covers medical only and not personal items. So if for what ever reason they were stolen during our transit or even for the first week or two in Canada I have not coverage. 

I'm busy looking into whether I can keep my current personal insurance going for a while longer while I am over their to cover this transition, but wanted to find out how everyone else did it?

Regards,

Stuart

LidiaS77

Hi @StuartW,

Are you referring to insurance for your luggage that will be traveling with you to Canada? If so, then you might want to have a look at a different insurance policy. For our travels we've always used TIC (Santam) through FNB and I see on one policy they cover luggage up to R20 000 as well as some specific personal items in addition to medical. You can activate this type of travel insurance if you've booked your plane tickets using an FNB credit card and I know some other banks offer similar options. You can usually upgrade to a better option for a smallish fee. If I remember correctly you can receive coverage for a maximum of 3 months abroad.

I hope this helps 🙂

Edited by LidiaS77

StuartW

Hi Lidia, 

That's exactly what I am after,  I will definitely look into that.

Strangely when I asked my usual Travel Broker, there was only one Insurance house that offered travel insurance for immigration (that is if you only can supply a one way ticket and not return) they don't cover theft etc, only medical. 

But what gets confusing in all this is that I keep talking Immigration, however its not true in the eyes of the country. Immigration refers to the point you are claiming Citizenship of another country. Its a distinction you have to be careful of, because they have very different requirements and implications.

LidiaS77

@StuartW Yes, I should have added that when we came to Canada we bought return tickets and then we just didn't use the return part. So according to the insurer we just came here for a holiday since we had a return ticket which means that we could use the normal travel insurance. Of course there are implications doing it this way, especially for the medical insurance where they would send you back to SA if you needed longer term/more expensive hospitalization etc.

• Like 1

StuartW

Thought I would feedback on this. Other than phoning about 5 different Travel Insurers, I eventually came across one Rep that knew more than a general call center.

No Travel Insurer covers persons immigration overseas, one way ticket coverage is available, but the instance you mention moving or immigration they immediately tell you Medical Only no Luggage or Personal property protection... which I Find interesting. Still looking into other avenues.

Moga
On 9/14/2018 at 9:00 PM, StuartW said:

Thought I would feedback on this. Other than phoning about 5 different Travel Insurers, I eventually came across one Rep that knew more than a general call center.

No Travel Insurer covers persons immigration overseas, one way ticket coverage is available, but the instance you mention moving or immigration they immediately tell you Medical Only no Luggage or Personal property protection... which I Find interesting. Still looking into other avenues.

@StuartW,

Reviving an old thread. were you successful in finding an insurance provider for both travel and medical cover for one way tickets.