aa35

Landing questions

aa35

Hi Everyone,

Is there perhaps some form that we need to fill in when landing, where we have to declare any funds that may be transferred to our account in Canada in future (e.g. from the sale of our house in South Africa), for tax purposes?  Do we need to declare any funds in the goods to follow list? 

Could you also provide guidance regarding the validity of a learner's license in Calgary?  Is it only valid for a period of a year?  If one of us writes the learner's test, can we still drive as long as we have someone with a valid driver's license in the car, even if it is a South African driver's license? 

Thank you!

MaryJane
11 hours ago, aa35 said:

Hi Everyone,

Is there perhaps some form that we need to fill in when landing, where we have to declare any funds that may be transferred to our account in Canada in future (e.g. from the sale of our house in South Africa), for tax purposes?  Do we need to declare any funds in the goods to follow list? 

I had something for this. Let me find the thread and link here. And will come back.

And here I am once again! This thread is quite old but helped me when I did my landing. Hope it helps or perhaps someone else can offer a more updated suggestion.

M-N
13 hours ago, aa35 said:

Could you also provide guidance regarding the validity of a learner's license in Calgary?  Is it only valid for a period of a year?  If one of us writes the learner's test, can we still drive as long as we have someone with a valid driver's license in the car, even if it is a South African driver's license? 

A class 7 (learners) license is valid for a year. However, if you have 2 years experience in driving you don't have to wait the year our and you should be able to apply for the full (advanced) class 5 road test immediately. You can also opt to take the basic road test. if you have less than 2 years driving experience but more than a year you can the basic class 5 road test and then you can upgrade to the full class 5 after two years of driving. here's a link to the info: https://www.alberta.ca/exchange-non-alberta-licences.aspx#toc-4 

aa35

Thanks guys! 

Do you know if you have to give proof of address for the learner's and driver's licenses? We were going to start at an airbnb for a while until we can find an appropriate rental.  

JohanR

As far as I remember for Ontario we did not have to give proof , they just asked for the address.Not sure about Calgary, I would have assumed it would be the same but it seems Ontario is a lot more strict than some of the provinces.

They actually print the address on your drivers license and if you move you have to go update your address and get a new license. 

LidiaS77
1 hour ago, JohanR said:

They actually print the address on your drivers license and if you move you have to go update your address and get a new license. 

It's the same in BC.

M-N
7 hours ago, aa35 said:

Thanks guys! 

Do you know if you have to give proof of address for the learner's and driver's licenses? We were going to start at an airbnb for a while until we can find an appropriate rental.  

As @JohanR said, your address will be printed on your driver's license. I can't remember if we had to show proof of address. However, that being said, you'll need proof of address for your health card. 

aa35

Thank you for the info!  It looks like it is probably best we try find a place to rent as soon as possible, for the health card. 

Hopefully I will be able to give some feedback soon about the licenses :)