Johann Cloete

Insurance qualifications.

Johann Cloete

Good day.

First of all I would like to say that I’m totally new to this forum and that any information would be greatly appreciated.

To make a long story short, myself and my family are looking to immigrate to Canada in the next year, as with any big decisions there is a lot of things to consider and the most important is to find a decent job. I’m currently working in SA as a Direct Sales Executive (Agent) for a leading South African insurance company and have over 9 years’ experience in the short term and commercial insurance industry. I’ve completed my RE exams and are currently in the proses of completing my Full qualifications.

I see that sales representatives and insurance agents are the second most in demand occupations in Canada right now and due to the fact that I have a lot of experience in the insurance industry, it would be one of the occupations that I would like to apply for when arriving in Canada.  I would really appreciate to hear from anyone that was working in the insurance industry in South Africa and immigrated to Canada to work in the same industry abroad.

1. Would I get any credit for my experience in South Africa?

2 I know that Canada has different legislation in place  for its  financial industry and that I would need to get the right licences to sell insurance products in Canada, but would my current qualifications be taken in to confederation?

3. What is my chances  of actually getting employment with an Canadian insurance company or brokerage as a foreigner?   

Kind regards.

Nelline

I hope someone working in the insurance industry can help with solid advice, I can say this: a job offer as a foreigner with no Canadian Experience will be just about impossible, in my opinion. So you need to focus on EE or PNP, not WP. Also look at the AIPP for the Maritime Provinces, you might just strike it lucky

Johann Cloete

Thank you Nelline.

Like I said any input helps.