Sign in to follow this  
Ruan123

Moving to Canada in Jan-Feb 2019

Ruan123

Hi

We have been in the process of applying for Express Entry to Manitoba.

(Process started about a year ago, when we decided we want to move to Manitoba from SA - process officialy started early this year).

My husband has a possible job offer and should we leave in Jan-Feb 19 we would need some pointers on below:

• Travel insurance and medical coverage.
  • Which airline to fly? Who allows dogs in cabin?
  • How to go about in renting a house so that when we get there we have somewhere to live.

(or are hotels cheap enough for us to book into while we look for somewhere to live?)

• What is the process in buying a car once we get there?
  • My husband needs to take over some tools, will it be cheaper to sell here and by new ones there?

(he is a Diesel Mechanic and will need them to work)

Just some general information regarding the whole process, things we need to do or get in place before we

leave and once we get there, will be greatly appreciated!

Regards

TJG
3 hours ago, Ruan123 said:

• How to go about in renting a house so that when we get there we have somewhere to live.

(or are hotels cheap enough for us to book into while we look for somewhere to live?)

• My husband needs to take over some tools, will it be cheaper to sell here and by new ones there?

• Airbnb is a convenient and cost effective way to get quick accommodation, I used several when I was establishing myself earlier this year
  • You will need a minimum of a G1 license to purchase and register a vehicle in Ontario, but you will need a G2 to insure it in your name. I rented a car for 2 weeks, got my G1 then G2 in that time, and then was able to purchase and register my car. 
  • When it comes to tools, your husband will be like a kid in a candy store here. The variety and quality is mind blowing. He may also need a variety of imperial and metric sized tools depending what he is working on. Prices vary based on quality, but from what I have seen they are pretty good. 

Eloff's
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:58 PM, TJG said:
  • Airbnb is a convenient and cost effective way to get quick accommodation, I used several when I was establishing myself earlier this year
  • You will need a minimum of a G1 license to purchase and register a vehicle in Ontario, but you will need a G2 to insure it in your name. I rented a car for 2 weeks, got my G1 then G2 in that time, and then was able to purchase and register my car. 
  • When it comes to tools, your husband will be like a kid in a candy store here. The variety and quality is mind blowing. He may also need a variety of imperial and metric sized tools depending what he is working on. Prices vary based on quality, but from what I have seen they are pretty good. 

Hi TJG & Ruan

That's some sound advice, we are in a similar scenario and will also be using Airbnb for our initial arrival while looking to rent.

TJG Its great that their is such a large variety in Canada. The issue for me being a Artisan/Journeyman also is that would the cost of shipping heavy tools over to Canada out way just selling them here and buying new or secondhand there i.e are hand tools expensive in Canada ? 

Ruan , When looking for a place to rent be careful of scammers. I've seen a lot of people recommend Craigslist or Kijiji to look for rentals.

Also if you were renting in SA before leaving try and get a Tenant reference letter typed on the rental agencies letter head stating all the good things about you as tenants, if you google it there loads of templates.   

As for airlines we have always worked via Harvey world travel as they get better discounts that we can on our own. If you are an FNB client with a level 5 reward level on your eBucks they offer "up to 40 %" discounts on certain flights, might be worth checking in with them.

From our research only very small pets and only certain pets i.e. a dog or kat are allowed on some airlines, this you would have to check with each individual airline. There are off course treads in this forum to people experiences to shipping pets to Canada with Pet carriers companies, you would have to search for them.

My wife cousin simple contacted Discovery and told them that he was moving to Canada and arranged cover for himself leaving money in a SA account for the monthly payments. Some advice when landing as soon as you can apply for the local health card it might take up to 3months before you can use it.

Best of luck and safe travels.

Jules

Due to the number of online scammers I would recommend only working through a reputable realtor when renting a property. Not worth the risk going solo if you are still sitting in SA or trying the find a rental just a few days after arriving. 

Just my opinion that it’s easier and safer using a licensed realtor (and no I’m not a realtor or connected to the real estate industry). 

• Like 1

LaraDK
On 8/21/2018 at 5:05 AM, Ruan123 said:
  • Travel insurance and medical coverage.
  • Which airline to fly? Who allows dogs in cabin?

@Ruan123Tools are expensive here. There are cheap options (don't think it would hold up to professional use though) and lots of sales, but if you need to hit the ground running, bring your stuff with you if it is good quality. I regret not bring more over and selling it for peanuts in SA.

Travel insurance: if you are with a big scheme like Discovery, they will cover you for 90 days of international travel (not 3 months - literally 90 days from when you set foot on the plane in SA). That should tide you over until your provincial coverage starts, which seems to be about 3 months in most places? You will need to keep paying your usual monthly premium to get this cover (it is not standalone insurance). I looked into getting bridge cover (i.e. cancel SA medical aid and get local medical cover until the provincial plan kicked in) but it was cheaper to stay with Discovery and I got just about the same cover.

There is a pet travel thread on the forum that you can search for but TL;DR KLM seems to be the preferred choice, although dogs are not allowed in the cabin as far as I know.

Accommodation - Air BnB will probably be your cheapest option while you look. Don't rely on photos for renting a property - you must go see the place in person. I got quite a fright when I saw some of the places ... the photos posted online must have been taken a decade ago :D I echo what others here have said about scammers. Use the realtor sites if you can. 

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Nelline

As far as I know you cannot fly with pets as hand luggage from SA to Canada. It'll make a nice change once you're settled  over here because depending on size / weight restrictions you WILL be able to fly them in the cabin. We've done this twice, once from the UK to Canada, and once within Canada domestic flight)
I recommend KLM if you're  going to be flying them in the hold.