Jacobs4

Law Enforcement in Canada

Jacobs4

Howzit julle

Would be great if i could get some insight into working in Law Enforcement within Canada, I know that PR is a requirement but once PR has been obtained and other requirements have been met;

How does one go about securing an interview? 

How does the Canadian Police differ from the USA? we are seeing so much political tension and racial tension between USA citizens and the Police lately on social media, news etc.

Are the Canadian police welcoming to hire Immigrants into their ranks?

Are there any former SAPS members on this forum that are now successfully working in a Canadian Police Service?

Groete!

Jules

Very hard to get a job as a cop in Canada. Fierce competition because it pays well with good benefits. 

But good news is that immigrants are very welcome to apply. Most applicants do a degree first then start applying. It's not uncommon to first work in private security for a few years to get experience while continuing to apply. Being willing to live and work in less popular regions (up north or rural) can also help. 

Law enforcement is a very respected profession here. 

• Like 1

Reibtseb

You have to be a citizen or PR for 10 years to apply to RCMP.

Nelline
3 hours ago, Reibtseb said:

You have to be a citizen or PR for 10 years to apply to RCMP.

That was also my understanding, but I am wondering if things have changed?

Reibtseb
1 hour ago, Nelline said:

That was also my understanding, but I am wondering if things have changed?

Nope, it was what I was told when I landed and spoke to RCMP directly, and still states it on their web page.

• Thanks 1

Lizelle

For the police (provincial?) you need 3 years PR (I'm going to assume it's the same for all police forces around the country, but it could be something to check).  On the Calgary Police website (http://join.calgarypolice.ca/)

REQUIREMENTS
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Grade 12 diploma or equivalent.
Canadian citizen, landed immigrant status or permanent resident status (living in Canada or the United States for three years).
At least 18 years of age.
Class 5 Driver's license (non GDL) with no more than five demerit points.
Meet medical/health and fitness standards. Medical requirements self-assessment
No unpardoned criminal convictions.
No criminal charges pending before the courts.
No criminal activity within the last three years both detected and undetected.
Strong credit rating.
One year clear of discharge date from a bankruptcy.
Standard first aid certificate
“Level C” CPR certificate
Please note that these requirements are a prerequisite and you must meet them to apply. Also, remember that having the minimum requirements allow you to apply, but does not necessary mean you will be successful in our competitive hiring process.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum of two years post-secondary education and/or consistent employment history.
Volunteer experience in the community.
Work experience involving a position of responsibility and trust.
Duties that involve significant interaction with the public.
Applied knowledge of computers, including but not limited to, MS Windows, Word, Outlook, etc., and basic typing skills

• Thanks 1

Lizelle

I think the different police departments make their own requirements.

It seems that you only need to be PR for Vancouver police department ( @Reibtseb it might be something to check out if you are interested):

https://vancouver.ca/police/recruiting/police-officers/recruitment-standards.html

JohanR

Halton Police has some jobs listed. You need the O.A.C.P certificate and be eligible to work in Canada according to the job post. Really seems as if they make the rules up as they go

M-N
3 hours ago, JohanR said:

Halton Police has some jobs listed. You need the O.A.C.P certificate and be eligible to work in Canada according to the job post. Really seems as if they make the rules up as they go

Could possibly also be the urgency needing boots in the streets.  I'd also imagine smaller areas have different needs.  Who knows.  

Jacobs4
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies., really do appreciate it.

I have been doing some research and yes different  minimum requirements from different provinces/police stations.

I'm not too concerned right now about the requirements to get in,   i  just really wanted some insight from an immigrant perspective on what the "atmosphere" is like once in.  Although I do suspect that the "atmosphere"  may be differ from Province to Province. 

Thanks again everyone.

Edited by Jacobs4
clarity on question

Jules

Canada is a very friendly country to immigrants. I think that translates into most work environments too. 

• Like 1

Nelline

There would also be different entry requirements between various Provincial police departments, and the RCMP (federal body)

Nelline

Here's an ad posted by a friend of mine who works as a correctional officer: https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/psrs-srfp/applicant/page1800?poster=1147434