BloodRaven

Getting a job offer

BloodRaven

Hey guys and gals.

Today I am posting here looking for some recommendations on obtaining a job offer.  Posts from guys on the forum that have actually gotten a job offer while still in SA and how the entire process works.  IT and Accounting industry.  Tradesmen occupations aren't helpful cause there is a super duper high demand for you people and you get offers at the drop of a hat :P  Lucky bums.

Somehow I keep missing notifications, like when Nova Scotia's Category B opened earlier in the year and that was a good opportunity to get PnP :(

The B.C Tech Pilot is looking favourable and my DH's occupation is on their list of 29 occupations, but having to get that ever elusive job offer is giving me an ulcer.

Looking forward to your replies

ZeeGe
Posted (edited)

Hi BloodRaven

We were in the same situation that you are in now, in 2016 we had an EE profile with a score of 405.  I applied directly to countless companies, was very unsuccessful, in fact I have given up hope.

I have a LinkedIn profile, there is a setting to indicate to recruiters that you are open to new opportunities and you can specify the countries you are interested in, I enabled that setting.  I got quite a lot of interest from recruiters for jobs in Europe and Australia, in January I got a message from a recruiter based in the UK for a job in Dubai, I replied and said no but if he has any opportunities in Canada I would be interested.  He responded and said he surely does, a few weeks later he told me about this company in Montreal and he submitted my cv.  To cut a very long story short I went through the interview process and got a job offer in March.

We are now busy with the CAQ and LMIA application – my employer is using immigration lawyers in Montreal, so all I had to do was sign documents.  I was told the LMIA and work permit is about a 6 month process.  So we are now (un)patiently waiting for the outcome.  And by the way – I cannot speak a word of French.

I am in the HR/IT industry.  My advice would be to enable that setting on LinkedIn and finding a good recruiter that can help you.

Wishing you all the luck in the world

Edited by ZeeGe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BloodRaven

@ZeeGe wow that is wonderful news!  I am so happy for you that you got an offer. :hug:

I've just activated that link on my profile and will change hubby's as well.

All the best for your move and I hope everything goes smoothly!

tripperdes

@BloodRaven don't give up. It's really tough getting a job offer if you don't have a sought-after skill. That doesn't mean you won't find anything. Use LinkedIn and Indeed. My DH has had the most responses from Indeed. Unfortunately, 90 % of those companies said they would employ him if he were in Canada! 🙄

Until recently I have always been applying for him because he has WES and a good NOC. I decided in June to apply for myself and I found a job on Indeed. I applied as was given a written offer of employment. Currently busy with LMIA!  😊

So keep at it. You will find something eventually and don't limit yourself. 

BloodRaven

@tripperdes Oh goodness!  Such wonderful news to read early in the morning :D

I've also been applying on behalf of my DH because to be honest his admin skills suck :P  Problem is, I also have no idea if our resumes are in the correct format.  I have a sneaky suspicion that this could cause most people to simply just discard our resumes.

I will start networking myself even though my WES is still in progress, problem here is if I can't claim points for education then my EE profile score will only be 316 so no ITA

tripperdes

@BloodRaven my hubby's admin skills also suck so I feel you! 😉

A good tip I learned from an immigration lawyer is to keep resume very simple. Tailor the doc to be job specific. List mostly what is on the skills and qualifications required for the job. If you run out of space then list only the skills that are a must-have so that your application will be considered. That's what I did. Also, don't forget to add a Cover letter. On that, you can add other skills that would peak employers interest, don't forget to mention that you have an interest in moving to Canada and that a job offer would help your application. Mention that you in the pool. Also, state that you willing to relocate to the area where the job is located.  

That's what I did for my job application. I got an email from the employer with a questionnaire which I answered and the next day secured an interview via Skype. That's when I mentioned all the other things on my CV that I left out in the resume which was relevant to the job offer. I got offered a managers post because of my experience!😃 Although my qualifications weren't recognized I was offered a chance to do job specific training. This was included in my contract and I signed it the same week. Currently awaiting LMIA. 

Applied for job                                                       4 June                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Reply from Employer with questionnaire          5 June                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Skype interview secured                                     11 June

Received and signed constract on 13 June and LMIA process started.

So keep at it. Something will come up eventually. We have been searching for jobs since 2016.

BobbyV
14 hours ago, tripperdes said:

@BloodRaven my hubby's admin skills also suck so I feel you! 😉

A good tip I learned from an immigration lawyer is to keep resume very simple. Tailor the doc to be job specific. List mostly what is on the skills and qualifications required for the job. If you run out of space then list only the skills that are a must-have so that your application will be considered. That's what I did. Also, don't forget to add a Cover letter. On that, you can add other skills that would peak employers interest, don't forget to mention that you have an interest in moving to Canada and that a job offer would help your application. Mention that you in the pool. Also, state that you willing to relocate to the area where the job is located.  

That's what I did for my job application. I got an email from the employer with a questionnaire which I answered and the next day secured an interview via Skype. That's when I mentioned all the other things on my CV that I left out in the resume which was relevant to the job offer. I got offered a managers post because of my experience!😃 Although my qualifications weren't recognized I was offered a chance to do job specific training. This was included in my contract and I signed it the same week. Currently awaiting LMIA. 

Applied for job                                                       4 June                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Reply from Employer with questionnaire          5 June                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Skype interview secured                                     11 June

Received and signed constract on 13 June and LMIA process started.

So keep at it. Something will come up eventually. We have been searching for jobs since 2016.

What an inspiring story. Congratulations! Very good tips as well. Will definitely be implementing these in my journey!

• Thanks 1

Hana

@tripperdes were you in the EE pool when you got the job offer? 

@ZeeGe would you mind if I contacted you directly to ask you a few questions? If it's ok please forward me you email address?