BarryVis

LSD Trip in July

Recommended Posts

BarryVis

A good friend and I are planning to see Canada from the 14th of July 2018 until the 28th of the same month. We are both stock farmers in South Africa in the north eastern Cape town of Burgersdorp. We will be looking at farming properties north of Brandon up to Dauphin in Manitoba for a couple of days and then drive through to Calgary and then on to Vernon in British Columbia to visit friends. We would really appreciate it if we could meet South African farmers that have settled in Manitoba and on our trip to Calgary. We would like to experience the pros and cons of farming in these areas to assist us in making the decision of purchasing property and immigrating to Canada. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MaryJane

Welcome to the forums @BarryVis

Can’t add much with your request (I’m way out east) but am hoping some of our other forum members may be able to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
M-N

Hi, 

You could join the South Africans in Alberta Facebook group. I believe there may be a few farmers on there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lizelle

Do you have specific reasons for picking those two provinces?

Land in Alberta is pretty damn expensive.  You would not think so, given how big it is.  But the cheap land sits way up north, or really far from town.  Pretty harsh season for cattle during the winter.  

Don't know what land in Manitoba costs, but their winter is just as harsh/harsher than Alberta.  There is a cattle farmer in North Dakota named Gabe Brown.  If you look on youtube, you can get a pretty good idea of his operation.  The conditions in North Dakota would be pretty similar to Alberta and Manitoba.

Have you considered PEI/New Brunswick?  Land prices in PEI is excellent, and the terrain is pretty flat.  Flat previous potato land can get expensive, but you can get fully cleared/partially cleared land for a great price.  

New Brunswick also has very good cheap land.  Their terrain tend to be a lot more hilly, so that would be something to consider with animals.  Their winter is a LOT milder than Alberta and Manitoba.  Lot more snow, but it also melts a lot faster.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nelline

What @Lizelle says is right, land / property is cheaper here in the Maritimes, but there's less of it. So, more intensive farming is needed. You can't compare, for example, grain farming in SK, to cultivating in PEI... Now as far as stock farming is concerned... we have fabulous beef farms and also milk operations. VERY high quality and worthwhile exploring. Plus we have lovely people in the Maritimes :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BarryVis
On 6/23/2018 at 10:23 PM, MaryJane said:

Welcome to the forums @BarryVis

Can’t add much with your request (I’m way out east) but am hoping some of our other forum members may be able to help.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BarryVis
On 6/25/2018 at 1:56 AM, Nelline said:

What @Lizelle says is right, land / property is cheaper here in the Maritimes, but there's less of it. So, more intensive farming is needed. You can't compare, for example, grain farming in SK, to cultivating in PEI... Now as far as stock farming is concerned... we have fabulous beef farms and also milk operations. VERY high quality and worthwhile exploring. Plus we have lovely people in the Maritimes :P

Thanks Nelline, we are spending about 3-5 days on PEI with a fellow south african!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BarryVis
On 6/24/2018 at 6:48 PM, Lizelle said:

Do you have specific reasons for picking those two provinces?

Land in Alberta is pretty damn expensive.  You would not think so, given how big it is.  But the cheap land sits way up north, or really far from town.  Pretty harsh season for cattle during the winter.  

Don't know what land in Manitoba costs, but their winter is just as harsh/harsher than Alberta.  There is a cattle farmer in North Dakota named Gabe Brown.  If you look on youtube, you can get a pretty good idea of his operation.  The conditions in North Dakota would be pretty similar to Alberta and Manitoba.

Have you considered PEI/New Brunswick?  Land prices in PEI is excellent, and the terrain is pretty flat.  Flat previous potato land can get expensive, but you can get fully cleared/partially cleared land for a great price.  

New Brunswick also has very good cheap land.  Their terrain tend to be a lot more hilly, so that would be something to consider with animals.  Their winter is a LOT milder than Alberta and Manitoba.  Lot more snow, but it also melts a lot faster.  

Thanks Lizelle

We will definitely look at the New Brunswick options. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now