tanchett

Activation questions

tanchett

Hi everyone - so excited to say that we've finally received our passports and are now planning our activation trip. 

I've been through other posts and comments regarding activation trips, but am still a little unclear on the process and what's really allowed or not.

I've heard of people who've landed and provided a friend's address for delivery of PR cards, and alternately, people who've indicated at the airport that they're going back home and will return in a few months. 

I'm still very unclear on what's allowed or not. Is one supposed to indicate that they're only there for an activation trip - is that allowed? If so, what does that mean in terms of your PR card and reentering Canada when you arrive permanently? I thought that you were allowed to provide a friend's address but saw someone  in another post indicate that they were not allowed to do this. 

MaryJane

Hi @tanchett

Excellent news on getting the PR visas! Congratulations!

For your question, there's no real rule as to whether you should indicate whether you are here just to activate the PR or you are here to stay for good. I personally think there's no "need" to tell the Border officials all of your plans (note: do not lie). You have your PR in hand and you are now here to activate it. And that's all they really need to know, I think. Most will use a friend or relative's Canadian address for delivery of PR cards because most immigrants will come without a permanent address anyway.

As to not being allowed to do it, I don't necessarily think it's illegal but.... if you mention to the Border official that you are only here for a few days/weeks and will go back and then mention that you are providing your friend's address as the address to send the PR cards to, the official can then add 2 & 2 together that you will/have asked your friend to courier your PR cards through to you after you leave. This type of events get flagged.

Here's some reading material I found on the Canada website that talks about this:

On occasion, it may be appropriate for clients to provide the address of a third party (friend, relative, service provider or a paid representative) in Canada in order to facilitate processing and issuance of the PR card following their arrival in Canada, as new immigrants may not have a permanent address. However, where there are clear indications that the initial entry into Canada is only of short duration and the client provided a third party address for the purpose of forwarding the PR card outside of Canada, these cases should be flagged with an info-alert indicating that the client is outside Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf27-eng.pdf (Page 24)

Hope this helps a bit.

Have a safe landing.

tanchett

Thanks so much for this @MaryJane It really clears up a lot of the questions I had about the process. Now on to packing and planning  and mild panicking :D

Ralls

Hallo all.  We just received our visas and have booked our tickets to Toronto for 10 days in September. We are planning to give a friend's address for the PR cards. My concern is that the border official will see the return date on our tickets. Do they check your flight tickets? If they do, surely its better to rather declare that you are planning to go back,  than to get caught in a lie (or omission). Is it not safer to say that you plan to get the travel documents...?

MaryJane

If you want to tell the Border official without being prompted, you are free to do so. This is not advice to lie or intentionally omit. Again, I will issue the “do not lie” sign.

Of course, if asked about your travel plans, you should tell them.

Normal landing experience lasts about 10-15 minutes unless they haul you in the interrogation room, so I think there are many plans that will get “omitted”.

I don’t ever remember having to show the official my return tickets at landing. But some of the forum members, who’ve recently landed can confirm this process better.

Ralls

Thank you so much MaryJane 

Lets hope they don't ask (fingers crossed) If they do then we will go with the travel documents story

Meyer88

Good day Peeps

I would like to ask a few questions and will appreciate any advice or inputs, apologies if this has been asked before,

1. On our COPR there is an area where it states **City of destination :Toronto.** The plan is to settle in Calgary, we received direct ITA not PNP Will there be a problem if we land  and activate in Calgary or is this a non-negotiable requirement that we land and activate our PR's in Toronto before going to Calgary.

2. Still shopping around in terms of flights and when to leave S.A, there are quite a lot of flights that are considerably cheaper when landing in Toronto first before going to Calgary. The layover is 2h45.

Keeping this in mind will this be enough time to go through customs, Immigration, activate PR, other formalities and still catch the flight to Calgary? As I know that you HAVE to activate your PR's at the Canadian Port of Entry.

3. A bit embarrassed to ask this...On our COPR there is a watermark " NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL". Is this just to indicate we cannot hop around Canada with the COPR document and this should be signed off to obtain PR.

Don't want to pitch up at the airport and then the immigration officer tells me that I need more documentation as the COPR indicates not valid for travel etc.

PS -  I would not have been successful without the help of this forum, forever grateful.

Regards 

• Like 1

MaryJane

1. No issues with this. If you choose to land/activate in Calgary instead of Toronto, you should be able to.

2. Hmm... depends how many people are in front of you that day. Most landing are quick but you could get that one odd % that it becomes crazy busy that day, and then you’re not gonna be able to get to the connecting flight in time.

3. I believe it just kinda means that it’s not to be used instead of a passport.

Good luck and have a safe landing.

M@C

Hoping someone can please help. My wife and I received our permanent residency our activation date is 09/01/2019 we will be in Toronto on the 28/12/2018 my wife will be returning to SA mid January. I know PR cards take some time to process and jou can not return to Canada without a PR card. Is there maybe documents that she can get so she can return while waiting for PR card. 

Perry
26 minutes ago, M@C said:

Hoping someone can please help. My wife and I received our permanent residency our activation date is 09/01/2019 we will be in Toronto on the 28/12/2018 my wife will be returning to SA mid January. I know PR cards take some time to process and jou can not return to Canada without a PR card. Is there maybe documents that she can get so she can return while waiting for PR card. 

I believe what she needs is the Permanent Resident Travel Document. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

M@C
4 minutes ago, Perry said:

Thank you Perry for the quick response, there's still so much to do, one does not where to start. Can you get the permanent residency travel documents from the Vfs?

Perry
1 minute ago, M@C said:

Thank you Perry for the quick response, there's still so much to do, one does not where to start. Can you get the permanent residency travel documents from the Vfs?

Yes, it'll be through VFS. but if you follow the "Instruction Guide" link on the page i posted, it'll have all the info you need.

M@C

Awesome, thank you very much Perry...!