tanchett

Activation questions

tanchett

Hi everyone - so excited to say that we've finally received our passports and are now planning our activation trip. 

I've been through other posts and comments regarding activation trips, but am still a little unclear on the process and what's really allowed or not.

I've heard of people who've landed and provided a friend's address for delivery of PR cards, and alternately, people who've indicated at the airport that they're going back home and will return in a few months. 

I'm still very unclear on what's allowed or not. Is one supposed to indicate that they're only there for an activation trip - is that allowed? If so, what does that mean in terms of your PR card and reentering Canada when you arrive permanently? I thought that you were allowed to provide a friend's address but saw someone  in another post indicate that they were not allowed to do this. 

MaryJane

Hi @tanchett

Excellent news on getting the PR visas! Congratulations!

For your question, there's no real rule as to whether you should indicate whether you are here just to activate the PR or you are here to stay for good. I personally think there's no "need" to tell the Border officials all of your plans (note: do not lie). You have your PR in hand and you are now here to activate it. And that's all they really need to know, I think. Most will use a friend or relative's Canadian address for delivery of PR cards because most immigrants will come without a permanent address anyway.

As to not being allowed to do it, I don't necessarily think it's illegal but.... if you mention to the Border official that you are only here for a few days/weeks and will go back and then mention that you are providing your friend's address as the address to send the PR cards to, the official can then add 2 & 2 together that you will/have asked your friend to courier your PR cards through to you after you leave. This type of events get flagged.

Here's some reading material I found on the Canada website that talks about this:

On occasion, it may be appropriate for clients to provide the address of a third party (friend, relative, service provider or a paid representative) in Canada in order to facilitate processing and issuance of the PR card following their arrival in Canada, as new immigrants may not have a permanent address. However, where there are clear indications that the initial entry into Canada is only of short duration and the client provided a third party address for the purpose of forwarding the PR card outside of Canada, these cases should be flagged with an info-alert indicating that the client is outside Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf27-eng.pdf (Page 24)

Hope this helps a bit.

Have a safe landing.

tanchett

Thanks so much for this @MaryJane It really clears up a lot of the questions I had about the process. Now on to packing and planning  and mild panicking :D