LaurenW

Settling Q & A

Jules
On 9/19/2018 at 9:35 AM, JohanR said:

We worked through a realty agent. We showed our prove of funds used as part of the landing. Agent also negotiated on our behalf for a lower rental. As a show of good faith we also offered more than just the normal 2 months since we had no credit history in Canada.

Where are you guys hoping to settle in GTA?

Landing in December is going to be cold.. Have your warm clothes ready for when you land..

Good advice to use a realtor. Proof of funds to the agent can include a bank statement. 

Jeandre

Just an update on the license topic: I went to the DriveTest centre in Hamilton yesterday (the one on Kenora Ave) and they accepted the RTMC letter and allowed me to book the full G test after passing the written exam. Current waiting period for the test seems to be around 4 weeks or so - received a test date mid Nov (hopefully early enough before the weather turns 🙈 ). They did however keep the original RTMC letter for their records. The lines/queues weren't too bad either - arrived there at 15h00 and left at 17h00 (after writing the test and booking the road test).

I had an A1 (<= 125CC) motorcycle license in SA as well, but seems they didn't want to accept the RTMC letter relating to this license and advised I should apply from scratch for a new motorcycle license. I guess its to do with the fact the license limitations differ slightly. Not that I really mind. I almost forgot about the my motorcycle license as I haven't driven in years. :P I suspect they will credit the history for a full SA motorcycle license (A). But just something to bear in mind for those with a A1.

Eloff's

Hi guys

Any idea in the case of a surname change due to marriage and drivers license still has maiden surname on i.e. so the RMTC letter will also have her maiden surname. Yet all Canadian documents have her new surname.

Don't know how this one slipped our minds:oops:

NW18
39 minutes ago, Eloff's said:

Hi guys

Any idea in the case of a surname change due to marriage and drivers license still has maiden surname on i.e. so the RMTC letter will also have her maiden surname. Yet all Canadian documents have her new surname.

i guess it shouldn't be an issue if you present a marriage certificate :)

Eloff's
27 minutes ago, NW18 said:

i guess it shouldn't be an issue if you present a marriage certificate :)

Well that is what we are hoping for :ilikeit:

M-N
8 hours ago, Eloff's said:

Hi guys

I don't think it matters.  I've got so many official (Canadian) documents that's in my maiden or married name. I've never really experienced any issues.   As long as you can prove your that person they don't care.