LaurenW

Settling Q & A

Jeandre

Thanks for all the advise. I contacted RBC and requested to open a savings account in the meantime from SA - I'll wait to see what doc's they require and have its sent up. Can then deposit funds ahead of my landing trip, which should 'slightly assist' credit record purposes and at least be cleared before I land there.

Is the G driving test we take, the same as that for beginner drivers? Insofar as the methods, parking, etc? And do we also need to do all those strange K-53 'driving-styles' like in SA, or is it a straight forward driving test to simply see if you can drive?

TJG
On 8/25/2018 at 11:34 PM, LaraDK said:

"Tenants insurance: i don’t know if it is legally compulsory but lots of landlords seem to insist on it and it is about $30 a month. It includes liability insurance (Ontario). Will be cheaper in a one bedroom flat - that was the quote I got for a main level rental (other tenants in basement apartment)."

I can confirm this to. If you shop around you can get a discount of around 15% on your auto insurance, when taking out tenants insurance with the same company. This can translate into you paying the same amount for auto + tenants insurance as you would for auto insurance alone. 

Jules
On 8/24/2018 at 12:10 PM, JohanR said:

On the rentals in the GTA (houses) if they have a issue with you not being able to show payslips,/ credit they may ask for more than the standard first and last month as a show of good faith. All depends on the landlord.

Not sure on the  apartments though but believe they are a bit simpler

Technically illegal for a landlord to request additional months of rental up front. The law is in place to protect new immigrants (who almost always arrive without a job) from being taken advantage of. 

What will help calm some nerves is if you can show a decent level of CAD$ funds in a bank account when applying. 

Jules
6 hours ago, Jeandre said:

Thanks for all the advise. I contacted RBC and requested to open a savings account in the meantime from SA - I'll wait to see what doc's they require and have its sent up. Can then deposit funds ahead of my landing trip, which should 'slightly assist' credit record purposes and at least be cleared before I land there.

Is the G driving test we take, the same as that for beginner drivers? Insofar as the methods, parking, etc? And do we also need to do all those strange K-53 'driving-styles' like in SA, or is it a straight forward driving test to simply see if you can drive?

It's different to K53. For example here you MUST cross hands when turning. Best advice is to book 1 or 2 appointments with a driving school. The instructor will point out all bad habits that cause problems in the official test. 

If you have the letter showing you are experienced then you will do the knowledge test and the full road test. If you pass you are fully licensed. If you fail then you start all over.

Jeandre
1 hour ago, Jules said:

It's different to K53. For example here you MUST cross hands when turning. Best advice is to book 1 or 2 appointments with a driving school. The instructor will point out all bad habits that cause problems in the official test. 

If you have the letter showing you are experienced then you will do the knowledge test and the full road test. If you pass you are fully licensed. If you fail then you start all over.

Great, thanks Julian. Silly question: but I assume you take the test in an automatic vehicle and the license is valid for both auto and manual vehicles (although never probably having to use the manual variant)?

Jules
3 hours ago, Jeandre said:

Great, thanks Julian. Silly question: but I assume you take the test in an automatic vehicle and the license is valid for both auto and manual vehicles (although never probably having to use the manual variant)?

Yes you can take the test in an automatic and your license is valid for automatic and standard transmission.  

(I have no idea why they call manual transmission "standard" when it's not commonly used)

Amy G

Really?! I've been driving an automatic since I got my licence 13 years ago, so this is a relief :)

NW18

Thanks for sharing your experience in detail @LaurenW. Helps people like myself who are patiently waiting to write one of our own. 😉

just wanted to ask you if the Emirates flight from Dubai to Toronto was full to capacity. Nice to know as it’s a long one.

NW18
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:35 PM, Jules said:

Yes you can take the test in an automatic and your license is valid for automatic and standard transmission.  

(I have no idea why they call manual transmission "standard" when it's not commonly used)

This is a relief as I was worried about having to drive Manual after 10 years on automatic 😁

• Haha 1

MargueriteE

Hi.

I read that our SA license is valid for the first 90 days in BC. There is however some people that keeps mentioning they have a international license from the AA. We are flying in 7days and I don't want to miss the opportunity to get the international. Also don't want to waste time and money on something I wouldn't need. Any advice from those of you already through the BC license department.?

LidiaS77

No, you don't need an international license. We obtained our BC licenses without having to show our international licenses. International licenses are in most cases really only useful in countries where they don't speak English. What will be useful is to get a letter from your SA car insurance company that confirms that you have no at-fault claims (if that is the case). This might help to reduce your car insurance premiums significantly if you do decide to buy a car.

• Thanks 1

M-N
On 9/6/2018 at 3:34 PM, LidiaS77 said:

No, you don't need an international license. We obtained our BC licenses without having to show our international licenses. International licenses are in most cases really only useful in countries where they don't speak English. What will be useful is to get a letter from your SA car insurance company that confirms that you have no at-fault claims (if that is the case). This might help to reduce your car insurance premiums significantly if you do decide to buy a car.

In Alberta we didn't need our RTMC letter for our licenses but we did use it for a better insurance deal. What's the benefit/requirement in BC? 

LidiaS77
On 9/10/2018 at 8:16 AM, M-N said:

In Alberta we didn't need our RTMC letter for our licenses but we did use it for a better insurance deal. What's the benefit/requirement in BC? 

We never needed our RTMC letter for anything in BC. They just looked at the date on our SA driving licenses to determine that we already had more than 2 years driving experience, meaning we could do the Class 5 (full license) test immediately. For reducing insurance they wanted a letter from our SA insurance company stating that we had no at-fault claims for a certain period in order to receive a better deal. They did not take the RTMC letter into account at all because they said that they care whether you've ever claimed from your insurance for accident(s) that was your fault, not how long you've been driving. This is with ICBC.

• Thanks 1

JohanR

Amazing the different standards. Provinces are almost like different countries. 

Possible reason why BC is in the top 10 list for worst drivers n Canada? 🧐

• Haha 1

Theron
On 8/24/2018 at 6:10 PM, LaraDK said:

The Oshawa centre was much better! Staff were friendly, professional and efficient. It was quite busy (maybe 50 people when I arrived), but I was out of there in 20 minutes. Got my driving experience credited and booked my road test for the end of next month (about a 6 week wait for a test date at the moment).

Now just to sort out the PR card ... they keep asking for photos but won't tell me what is wrong with the ones I am sending that are exactly conforming to their specifications ....:huh:

Great! Happy to hear this one was better. Good luck with the test and I hope you get it the first time round!

bond007
On 8/24/2018 at 12:05 PM, JohanR said:

For Ontario, if you cannot show the driving experience via the official RSA government letter, you start as a new driver. Doesn't matter if you are 19 or 60, you will have to do G1(Learners written test) and after one year can get your G2 (Entry level License which does not allow you to drive on the highway alone). After one year you can go and do your full G license.

You do full driving test, parking, emergency stops etc.

Jeandre, if you are going to be in Ontario, get the driving record and be prepared for a full drivers test. You can then immediately after passing your G1 book for a full G license 

Hi there.  I am in Ontario. I went for drivers license.i showed my S.A. drivers license. I did pass my knowledge test n they gave me G1. 

If i have that confirmation letter for my drivers license, I could book for G test straight away.

Does anyone have any idea,how to get that and how long it takes? 

Please reply.

Thanks

JohanR
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:25 AM, bond007 said:

Hi there.  I am in Ontario. I went for drivers license.i showed my S.A. drivers license. I did pass my knowledge test n they gave me G1. 

If i have that confirmation letter for my drivers license, I could book for G test straight away.

Does anyone have any idea,how to get that and how long it takes? 

Please reply.

Thanks

https://nationalgovernment.co.za/units/view/154/road-traffic-management-corporation-rtmc

Doesn't take long to get. If you are in Canada and have already started your licensing process then I am not sure if they will accept...

LaraDK
10 minutes ago, JohanR said:

https://nationalgovernment.co.za/units/view/154/road-traffic-management-corporation-rtmc

Doesn't take long to get. If you are in Canada and have already started your licensing process then I am not sure if they will accept...

@bond007You can organise it from this side, no problem. I emailed the RTMC to get a new letter and it was ready the same day. You will need to arrange a courier/friend to collect it and send it to you though. The place is in Midrand. I got mine couriered and received it in less than a week.

Even if you already have your G1, you can take the letter later on, get the experience credited, and book your G immediately. However, you must have the original RTMC letter - they won't accept a copy. Also make sure all the info is correct (DOB, name, and date of issue stamp). I went to Oshawa Drive Centre and they didn't bat an eye - think they deal with this all the time.

JohanR
1 minute ago, LaraDK said:

@bond007You can organise it from this side, no problem. I emailed the RTMC to get a new letter and it was ready the same day. You will need to arrange a courier/friend to collect it and send it to you though. The place is in Midrand. I got mine couriered and received it in less than a week.

Even if you already have your G1, you can take the letter later on, get the experience credited, and book your G immediately. However, you must have the original RTMC letter - they won't accept a copy. Also make sure all the info is correct (DOB, name, and date of issue stamp). I went to Oshawa Drive Centre and they didn't bat an eye - think they deal with this all the time.

There you go.. Thnx @LaraDk 

NW18
22 hours ago, LaraDK said:

@bond007You can organise it from this side, no problem. I emailed the RTMC to get a new letter and it was ready the same day. You will tneed to arrange a courier/friend to collect it and send it to you though. The place is in Midrand. I got mine couriered and received it in less than a week.

Spot on!

I just got mine today from JHB office.Called and spoke to a guy named David who was very helpful and explained that all that is required is a copy of ID or Drivers emailed to the email address ctc@rtmc.co.za

we has a grind pick it up and courier it to us.

surprisingly it was easy and quick unlike any other experience with government offices here.

Four Geese
On 8/27/2018 at 6:13 PM, Jules said:

What will help calm some nerves is if you can show a decent level of CAD$ funds in a bank account when applying. 

Hi Jules

Possibly a really stupid question but what is the best way to show the landlord a healthy balance in a CAD bank account?

We will land in Toronto early December, open a bank account immediately.. we are hoping to rent from the 1 Jan 2019

TIA

JohanR
2 hours ago, Four Geese said:

Hi Jules

Possibly a really stupid question but what is the best way to show the landlord a healthy balance in a CAD bank account?

We will land in Toronto early December, open a bank account immediately.. we are hoping to rent from the 1 Jan 2019

TIA

We worked through a realty agent. We showed our prove of funds used as part of the landing. Agent also negotiated on our behalf for a lower rental. As a show of good faith we also offered more than just the normal 2 months since we had no credit history in Canada.

Where are you guys hoping to settle in GTA?

Landing in December is going to be cold.. Have your warm clothes ready for when you land..

Four Geese

Thank you JohanR for your helpful advice.

We are plannng on renting in Burlington. Same as you guys I see.

JohanR

@Four GeeseJust shout if there is anything you want to know or need help with around Burlington. 

Four Geese

Thank you. Really appreciate the offer.