Sign in to follow this  
Talent79

Study Permit application for accompanying kids

Talent79
Posted (edited)

Screenshot_2018-06-03-16-53-41.thumb.png.11d92fc612d37d559052787220dcfd7f.pngHi everyone. My apologies if this has been asked before, but I cannot find the previous posts on the topic question. How does one complete the following sections of the IMM1294 form if applying for study permits for kids who are accompanying a parent going over on a work permit. I attached the screenshots of the section in question. I will greatly appreciate your help guys

Edited by Talent79

Sharma

do you need a study permit for kids going with parents? Dont they just get dependent visa?

Talent79
18 minutes ago, Sharma said:

do you need a study permit for kids going with parents? Dont they just get dependent visa?

Hi Sharma...I am not even sure what a Dependent visa is...if possible please enlighten me on this

Nelline

As far as I know you only need a Study Permit for children going into Tertiary Education, not for Elementary or Secondary Schooling. I do know of some people who got the Study Permits anyway, just to be safe, and some of them believe they were needed. We went over on WP's without applying for Study Permit for Elementary aged child and it was fine (this was Ontario) but it may be better to be safe rather than sorry and send a query through to CIC to ask if these are needed

Talent79

Thanks Nelline...how best can i send a query to CIC?

Nelline
34 minutes ago, Talent79 said:

Thanks Nelline...how best can i send a query to CIC?

No need to contact them. I searched on CIC and found this as confirmation - no need for a Study Permit:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/minor-children/need-permit.html

• Like 1

Nelline

Literally the only "Yes a Study Permit is needed" was for "a foreign national accompanied by a parent in the visitor class"

Sharma

Have a look at the links below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=196&top=17

https://www.akcanada.com/temp_status4.php

When you come on work permit your status is temporary resident. And you can bring your spouse and children with you. From what I can see you do not need a separate study permit as they already residents of the country.

Talent79

Thanks Nelline and Sharma, my question was fully answered....I appreciate your help a lot. 

Liz88

@Nelline Thank you so much for that link. 

I'm so confused at this point as we are going to ON but I'm busy with my study visa application at this stage and it does however ask what is the child planning to do in Canada and you select study that you need to provide a letter of acceptance. 

I've contacted the district school board to hear what they say 

Talent79

The letter of acceptance is not required if the child is applying from outside Canada and accompanying a parent on a WP or SP

Talent79

Letter of acceptance exemptions [R219(2)]

A foreign national is exempt from the letter of acceptance requirement in the following situation:

• Family members of foreign nationals whose application for a work or study permit is approved in writing before the foreign national enters. This exemption does not guarantee the approval of a study permit application.

You can check this out @Liz88

• Like 1

Four Geese

@Liz. It is very confusing. I delayed our application submission by 4 weeks because I was unsure about study permits for my 13 year old twins. The answer is that your accompanying children do not require study permits. I contacted the Halton school board ON and they didn’t know. I started to complete the IMM1294 forms for my twins as I had read that you include NA for Designated learning institution name and number but then the forms won’t validate when applying online. 

My husband was issued his study permit within a week. I will apply for the OWP at the POE and have read that border control will issue an extended visitors visa for the twins.  We live in the U.K. now and have British passports so maybe easier for us.

I hope this helps

• Like 1

Flyfish

Hi

Just some info from our side. We landed in December 2017 on a Work Permit and had received a study permit for my daughter of 7 and we were told by the border agent that we did not need the study permit.

They did not ask for it either when we got my daughter into school in the Halton region. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Talent79

@Flyfish, were you guys on SA passports? 

Flyfish

We were all on our SA passports. The border agent said as long as the temporary residents visas are in order you do not need a study visa for elementary school children.

• Like 2

Liz88
On 6/3/2018 at 10:36 PM, Nelline said:

No need to contact them. I searched on CIC and found this as confirmation - no need for a Study Permit:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/minor-children/need-permit.html

It's very strange though Nelline because I also saw this on the CIC site yet when I contacted the district school board of Oshawa for information on what they would require to enroll my kids into school they mentioned a study visa (elementary). I queried this with them and to date have not received a response. As a result I am applying for study visa's for the children and for any section where it asks for information i do not have I will state TO BE DETERMINED and include a Letter of Explanation with both applications... Some things just have too much conflicting information from both people and websites

Nelline
18 minutes ago, Liz88 said:

It's very strange though Nelline because I also saw this on the CIC site yet when I contacted the district school board of Oshawa for information on what they would require to enroll my kids into school they mentioned a study visa (elementary). I queried this with them and to date have not received a response. As a result I am applying for study visa's for the children and for any section where it asks for information i do not have I will state TO BE DETERMINED and include a Letter of Explanation with both applications... Some things just have too much conflicting information from both people and websites

Better safe than sorry. Rather get it, yes.

Four Geese

Hi Liz88

Can I please ask? Will you be applying for your kids study permits on line or via a paper application. The reason for me asking is that when I tried to complete form IMM1294 for my kids online, it wouldn’t validate the forms without including all the information asked for. 

TIA

Flyfish

Hi 

I applied for a study permit for my daughter who is in elementary school, I just put Not Available as we were not sure where we would settle and she got the permit, however both at the border and the Halton School Board we were never asked for the permit. I do agree that you should be better safe than sorry. It is one less thing to worry about. We did it all online.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Liz88
On 7/4/2018 at 3:22 PM, Flyfish said:

Hi 

I applied for a study permit for my daughter who is in elementary school, I just put Not Available as we were not sure where we would settle and she got the permit, however both at the border and the Halton School Board we were never asked for the permit. I do agree that you should be better safe than sorry. It is one less thing to worry about. We did it all online.

Hope this helps.

I've since heard that they issue some sort of permit for the kids at customs when you land because its linked to your study permit 

Not sure if its situation dependent - We've decided to now not apply for the study permit for the kids and if it ends up being needed we will do so from Canada