Ghecko

IELTS remark?

jimmy

@Amy G i'm sorry to hear your hubby didn't have a great experience. Hopefully it will be one of those cases where one feels terrible after an exam but actually aced it! Let's hope for the best

Luckily you have a plan B, it's going to take a bit longer but you'll get there in the end

• Like 1

Amy G

@jimmy hubby's results are out, he got 7 for writing and top bands all else! Am so excited, don't know what to do with myself! Do you have any news??

• Like 1

jimmy

@Amy G that's absolutely fantastic!!!! I'm so glad for you guys!! Well done!!

Unfortunately we didn't get the score we were hoping for, my wife's scores are 7.5, 9, 6.5, 8.5 - LRWS. Missing out on Listening and writing. If it was only the writing we could've gone for re-mark, but the listening got her this time as well. I've already booked and she will be writing again on 15 December.

Again, well done!! On you go.... hopefully you can update your profile in time for Monday's draw........... all the best for the rest of the process and I hope you get your PPR soon

• Like 1

Amy G

@jimmy my heart sank, I know that feeling of disappointment all too well. I'm really sorry :( 

Great that you got a test for 15 Dec at least it's not too far, although sometimes it feels like every week is one too many, without sounding too dramatic lol. Really holding thumbs for your guys.  

• Like 1

Amy G

For anyone looking at getting a remark, particularly for the writing section of IELTS.

My hubby scored 6.5 for writing in his previous IELTS test - we sent it for a remark and got the result 1.5 weeks later - his score increased to 7. 

So I would definitely recommend it if you have scored 6.5 for writing and feel confident that it should have been a bit higher.  

Liezelleroux

@Ghecko Exact same situation with us. Got 9, 9, 8 and 6.5 for writing. Both my husband and I! It just puts you back with so many months. Really frustrating.

@jimmy in the same boat for us. A 0.5 will bump you up with 50 odd points. Or i think it might be the difference between going from 6.5 to 7.

Just so frustrating and emotional.

All the best!

Marcola
On 11/9/2018 at 2:45 AM, Amy G said:

@jimmy hubby's results are out, he got 7 for writing and top bands all else! Am so excited, don't know what to do with myself! Do you have any news??

Wow!!! Congrats on your ITA!!!!! Yayyy

jimmy
20 hours ago, Liezelleroux said:

@Ghecko Exact same situation with us. Got 9, 9, 8 and 6.5 for writing. Both my husband and I! It just puts you back with so many months. Really frustrating.

@jimmy in the same boat for us. A 0.5 will bump you up with 50 odd points. Or i think it might be the difference between going from 6.5 to 7.

Just so frustrating and emotional.

All the best!

This writing section of the IELTS exam is such a pain in the behind and causes so much stress and anxiety for everyone. it is not just us........ look at all the forums and FB pages of anyone immigrating to Aus, NZ, Canada or wherever the IELTS is a requirement. the majority of people score below 7 on the writing. @Liezelleroux based on your 9 for listening, 9 for reading and 8 for speaking one can clearly see you are more than competent with the English language, so why don't they just assess based on that?  But on the other hand, if CLB9 (8,7,7,7) is the requirement to get those sorely needed 50 points from the skills transferability section, the Canadian lawmakers are doing something right. It's a huge sift in my opinion and those immigrants who get PR through EE without PNP, job offers, family sponsorship etc are high caliber individuals who will definitely add value to Canada's economy.

Perseverance will pay off eventually. My wife is writing it for the third time in December, in the meanwhile we are applying for jobs like there's  no tomorrow. I cannot sit and wait on something like IELTS results to determine my fate............

we're 7 months into this thing...... hopefully we'll be getting a breakthrough soon!!

Amy G
On 11/20/2018 at 8:24 PM, Marcola said:

Wow!!! Congrats on your ITA!!!!! Yayyy

Thanks @Marcola !

After having obsessed about Canada every day (not even exaggerating lol) for a year and a half, it’s so exciting to finally be moving forward. 

We are submitting our final app tomorrow, yay ☺️

LouiseV36

Good day.  I know it is an old post but I could use someone's opinion.

I received my IELTS scores today L-9, R-8.5, W-6.5, S-9.

I am now thinking about a remark.  I am sure I did enough to get a 7.  I am still waiting on my report from WES so we have a bit of time to play around.  Do I apply for the next test date on the 6 April or send for a remark and wait for the result. That seven would push the score from 383 to 440

Any advice would be appreciated.

Liezelleroux

@LouiseV36 I had the exact same results. Applied for remark for 2nd attempt, writing remained unchanged. Doing 3rd attempt next week. They took about 2 months with my remark as it fell over December holidays, so I'd apply for a remark and register for the test, if I were you. 

jimmy

@LouiseV36 I agree with Liezel........ send your writing for a remark AND book another test date. There are no guarantees with the IELTS and it is best to cover all your bases.

Maureen

@LouiseV36  I received my results today as well, overall band of 8 L8.5, R8.0, W6.5 and S9.

I am definitely going to have a remark done on the writing.  My husband got a band of 7.5 L7.5, R9.0, W6.5 and S7.5, as I am the main applicant should I send his to be remarked as well for the writing?

When will our reports be ready (as in do we get it via email or delivered), and how do we go about having it remarked? 

Edited by Maureen
Spelling

PhilipCX

I think first decide if your writing was worth a 7 and you’re not just thinking it should be because all your other marks were good. Run through the CRS calculator and see if it makes a big difference if your husband also gets top scores, in our case it is only about 2 points if I recall correctly. They should courier the doc to you guys by Monday, it’s usually quite fast. 

Maureen

@PhilipCX I do believe my writing was more than 7 worth.  So I will go ahead with a remark as I do need the additional points, as for my husband we need his 2 points as well.  Thanks for the courier information.

LouiseV36

@Maureen I am getting a remark.  I just need half a band.  

And Igot a messgae from the courier that the report was out for delivery.  SO I am going back to the centre on Wednesday to apply for the remark.  Holding thumbs for you.

PhilipCX

Just some positive feedback on a remark. My wife just got her remark back for speaking and it went up from a 7 to an 8.5. CRS moved up to 441 and we are back in the game 🙏

• Like 3

cswingewood

I also got a 6.5 for writing and I thought that it the one I felt the best about after the test. I got 9/8/6.5/9 (LRWS), how do I work out the overall CLB for these? 
Thinking maybe sending for a re-mark.

(I haven't submitted my EE profile yet, I'm going over it just to make sure everything is correct, but I only just submitted my degree to WES, I see I don't actually need this for the EE profile though?)

LidiaS77

Hi @cswingewood

1 hour ago, cswingewood said:

(I haven't submitted my EE profile yet, I'm going over it just to make sure everything is correct, but I only just submitted my degree to WES, I see I don't actually need this for the EE profile though?)

You do need your WES report before you can complete and submit your EE profile to go into the pool. The main reason for this is that you have to enter your ECA number which you only get when WES has completed your report. You also won't know for sure how your degree will be evaluated. For example, our Bachelors and Honours degrees were evaluated as two degrees by WES whereas we thought it might be one only. You have to enter your degree equivalency exactly like it appears on your WES report otherwise it might look like you are misrepresenting yourself if the report is different from what you entered. That is also why they need the ECA number, to verify the report from WES. Here is some more information on the official Canadian immigration website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/education-assessed.html.

2 hours ago, cswingewood said:

I also got a 6.5 for writing and I thought that it the one I felt the best about after the test. I got 9/8/6.5/9 (LRWS), how do I work out the overall CLB for these? 
Thinking maybe sending for a re-mark.

You can work out the overall CLB score here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/language-requirements/language-testing.html

If you studied hard for the writing part and feel like you should have done better and you followed all the best practices recommended (structure, no spelling mistakes, using synonyms and a variety of vocabulary etc.) then it might be worth getting that remarked. Otherwise you might consider rewriting the test. I know of people who got a better score and of people whose mark didn't change after a remark.

The official Canadian immigration website is the best place to get the most accurate information about this whole process.

Good luck with the process! 🙂

cswingewood
4 hours ago, LidiaS77 said:

You do need your WES report before you can complete and submit your EE profile to go into the pool. The main reason for this is that you have to enter your ECA number which you only get when WES has completed your report. You also won't know for sure how your degree will be evaluated. For example, our Bachelors and Honours degrees were evaluated as two degrees by WES whereas we thought it might be one only. You have to enter your degree equivalency exactly like it appears on your WES report otherwise it might look like you are misrepresenting yourself if the report is different from what you entered. That is also why they need the ECA number, to verify the report from WES. Here is some more information on the official Canadian immigration website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/education-assessed.html.

Hi @LidiaS77, thank you so much for your detailed responses! 
Ah okay, I see what you mean. Well it is under process from today, and I have 53 days left on my EE profile. Should I delete my profile and just wait to start from scratch once I get the ECA number? (I sure hope my degree is equivalent 😬)

4 hours ago, LidiaS77 said:

You can work out the overall CLB score here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/language-requirements/language-testing.html

If you studied hard for the writing part and feel like you should have done better and you followed all the best practices recommended (structure, no spelling mistakes, using synonyms and a variety of vocabulary etc.) then it might be worth getting that remarked. Otherwise you might consider rewriting the test. I know of people who got a better score and of people whose mark didn't change after a remark.

The official Canadian immigration website is the best place to get the most accurate information about this whole process.

Good luck with the process! 🙂

So, for the overall score, it would be L9 = CLB12, R8 = 10, W6.5 = CLB 8, S9 = CLB12 = average CLB of 10.5 … but if I work out the points it's only 23 – another lady said that she got 45 more points just for getting her writing score from 6.5 to 7? How is that even possible 🤷‍♀️ guess I'm just learning about everything still.
Yeah, I might send for a remark because I really did feel like I did pretty well, unless it was my spelling that let me down 😹 (I'm super dyslexic).

Thank you! 🎉🎉 

JanSalJanNat

I compiled some info for a friend of mine, here it is if you need some guidance & have some questions.  We did PR in 2017 so some of the details may have changed.  If you have a CLB9 for IELTS & you have more than 1 degree or a degree & a masters you get more points.

JanSalJanNat
Posted (edited)
Here's some info to start with:

1. As mentioned, Canada has an Express Entry system for skilled professionals.  This is basically an express route to get Permanent Residency if you are qualified.  It works on a points basis and there's certain criteria that you have to meet.  The main criteria is
  • qualification
  • English competency
Take a look at this, you can get an estimate of what your points will be.  For the English tests (IELTS) you need to score a CLB9 for all sections, in this way you will be able to benefit the most from your post graduate qualifications

This link is to calculate your CRS score, in order to qualify for Express Entry you need more than 400 points.  The higher the points the better your chances.  

So how the points system works is, every month there is a draw where they invite (ITA - Invitation to apply) the candidates with the highest scores to apply for PR.  Refer to this link so that you can track what the latest Express Entry draws were.

2.  In order to get into the Express Entry Pool, you need to have your qualifications assessed.  We used WES (World Education Services) https://www.wes.org/ca/  You will have to read up on how to go about it, it seems like some of the rules changed since we did it.

Secondly, you will have to write the IELTS tests.  https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/locations/south-africa

The Wes report takes up to 3 months, this is because you have to get your academic records from all the institutions and send it by mail to WES.  If I remember correctly the cost was R2000 each plus courier costs plus the costs to get your academic records from the institutions.  

IELTS, we paid R3200 each.  

Here is the link to see the weight of the different sections when they calculate your CRS score.  The total is out of 1200, the draws last time I've checked was in the high 400's.  The people who has a job offer gets 600 points extra that's why there are some people with 900-1000 points.

3.  You need to know your NOC code aswell.  This is just the code they assign to the different qualifications and job titles

4.  We used an agent called Matrixvisa, www.matrixvisa.com.  His cos was $4000
You don't need an agent, I just didn't have the time to do everything myself & I was also a bit scared of screwing up our application.  Look at their website, they've got a lot of info which is really helpful.

5. As mentioned, the docs you need for the pool is WES and IELTS.  You can then enter the pool, once you receive an ITA you have 90 days to submit your application for PR.  For this you need a whole lot of other documents like police clearance (your wife will have to get police clearances for countries she stayed in for more than 6 months), you have to go for a medical, updated passports, unabridged birth certificates, unabridged marriage certificate, etc.

6.  When you submit your PR application you have to pay some feed to the Canadian goverment.

A typical federal skilled worker case:

• Government application fees - $550 per adult & $150 per child (at the end of the process)
  • Right of Permanent Residence fee - $490 per adult (at the end of process)'
7.  You also have to show proof of funds.  These funds are for you to survive in your first few months if you don't have a job.  This is just a guide and I can honestly say it's not enough 🙈  maybe if you are only 2 you can really live on a budget then it will be enough but you end up spending money on things that you did not expect to but because you are a newcomer & have no credit record in Canada you have to pay cash.  

Edited by JanSalJanNat

M_Richard

Reading this thread and many complaints about IELTS on the SA/Canada Facebook pages has me worried about IELTS writing part. I have heard people mention that the tests are marked in India. Not sure if this is true. However, even if it is marked in South Africa, is there a reason not to doubt the competency of the examiners? Is it really a "money-making scheme" as some are labelling it? Or are people just watching 2 or 3 youtube videos on writing and wing the test. Is there someone who can honestly say they have studied extremely hard and believe they wrote a model 8/9 piece and but still received low marks? If so, then it may be genuinely worrying.

The writing is only 150 and 250 words for tasks one and two respectively? The 250 words seem like nothing. I am punching out 4000-word technical reports weekly at work. Perhaps it the time limit that gets you.

Nevertheless, I will prepare thoroughly for the test and make sure I understand what the examiners will be looking when marking. I'm sure I can increase my writing skills in terms of structure, flow and especially format of specific letters.

Furthermore, I have recently been using Grammarly while writing emails and reports at work. If you make a mistake, Grammarly tells you what you did wrong (like using passive voice, tautologies, dangling modifiers, unclear antecedents etc) as well as a typical right and wrong example. Test writing in MS word and activating Grammarly afterwards (to see your mistakes) can be great practice. From my experience, the best way to fix errors is by making them first. Additionally,  I will try and proofread my writing as much as possible. I have been shocked by my writing after re-reading it once.

Has anyone written the computer-based test? From what I can tell it seems a bit more streamlined and includes more dates compared to the paper-based test. I see 7 dates available in Cape Town for May. Will there also be this many tests for June? At the moment you can only select May and nothing else.

DocMartin

@M_Richard

I have heard (from a friend of a friend) that in the computer based test you cannot go back and change your answers. I can't confirm whether or not it is actually true.

Kitcat

Hi @M_Richard, I honestly don't think that IELTS is a money-making scheme. There are strict criteria in order to qualify to be an examiner, and the person marking your test doesn't know what the purpose is for your taking the test - so it's unlikely they will specifically mark you down. At the end of the day, I think everyone has to have realistic expectations of the test and what to expect. I equate it to writing a Matric English exam - just because you can speak English and it's your first language, it doesn't mean you're going to score an A for that exam. It still requires a lot of preparation.

The writing section really does seem to be a bugger for many people, and I really do feel for them; but again, just because someone can speak and understand English, it doesn't mean they have a natural flair for writing - and I say this as a professional writer and editor, where I see even my colleagues make many mistakes in their spelling and grammar. We have become so reliant on spellcheck that it's so easy to make mistakes without even realising it. I always find it ironic that those who are complaining the loudest on the FB groups aren't first-language English speakers and end up even having plenty of mistakes in their actual post - so I have to wonder how they can expect to achieve full marks. This is not to say that non-first-language speakers can't score high marks, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Immigration is not an easy journey, and there are many factors to consider. For Canada, the ability to have a good level of English is a very important factor and this gets weighed against the other factors, such as your work experience and education, to give you your CRS score (for Express Entry). Getting that visa is not a right, it's a privilege, for which many people work very hard to achieve, and unfortunately, many people would rather blame the system than take responsibility or put the effort in.

• Like 2