Ghecko

IELTS remark?

Ghecko

We got our IELTS scores back today, I am very disappointed with my Writing score! I am thinking about getting a remark for it.

Speaking 9
Listening 8.5
Reading 9
Writing 6.5

Surely something is wrong with that?

My wife also scored 6.5 for writing and we are both very proficient in English. Her overall score was 8.

What do you guys think?

MaryJane

I don’t know how much remarking costs, but do think it may be worthwhile for the main applicant to get a higher writing score.

I say this because in terms of CRS scores:

For language abilities, the writing score knocks -10 points off. That’s not too bad but...

There is the transferability factor to consider. That writing score knocked another 12-50 points off transferability depending on what else you have fulfilled in terms of education and work experience.

For the accompanying spouse, this would only equate to -2 points, so really not so much of an issue at this end.

iguessee

I had a writing score of 7 for IELTS I took on May 12th so I understand the frustration as it is my lowest score but still gives me the max amount of points.

Its a very subjective section to mark so I think its worth sending for a remark - especially if its costing points.

From what I've researched, a remark costs a little under 2k but they will refund you this should your mark change.

You can download the application form online and you will need to submit the form, your test report form (when you receive it) & proof of payment in person, I believe.

YolandaB

I think a remark is R1450.00, in your case I would say go for the remark ! A lot op people got improvements after a remark on the writing section. If your score improves they will refund you.

Just a tip, only let them remark your writing section.

jimmy

@Ghecko Did you get your writing remarked? What was the result?

We also got our IELTS results back. My wife is the main applicant and she got a 6 for writing. We need that dastardly 7 for the writing to score CLB9 overall and maximize on the skills transferability. That one little score is the difference between going into the pool with 389 points VS the 452 if she had gotten a 7.

I've heard it's quite common for people with 6.5's to get bumped to 7 after the remark, but not a lot that got 7's from a 6. Is it worth while asking for a remark? How realistic is it to be scored an entire band higher with a remark?

We have already booked another test for 27 October, but if she can get a 7 for writing with the remark it will save us a lot of hassles.

Amy G

@jimmy my husband and sister in law both got 6's for writing because they didn't write enough words for task 2. I would probably only do the remark if she's sure she wrote enough words... 

jimmy

Hi @Amy G, yep, she had enough words......... she used two answer sheets for task 2

JanSalJanNat

My husband had very similar scores, we sent his writing for remark and it went up to 8.  Don't know how it's possible but we were really happy because our CRS score ended at 462.  Definitely worth it in my opinion.

jimmy

This whole IELTS thing is really a thorn in my side and I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling like this. If we scored a 7 on the writing we would've had an ITA by now and our application would've been submitted, but now we've been set back a couple of months and sorely needed moola all because of some technical writing hogwash.

I mean, it's not as if we are not competent in English, but because of "technical" issues of not writing in the correct style or blah blah and the possibility of subjectivity by examiners we have to go through this again. As if this immigration process is not stressful enough........

My wife is writing again in less than 2 weeks, so hopefully she can overcome this IELTS Writing monster this time

Amy G

@jimmy I'm with you haha, my husband scored 6 for writing the first time and 6.5 the second time. He rewrote on 13 Oct for the third time, and we also booked the 27th Oct test for him just in case! 

Just have to focus on the end goal, we can do this!! :boxing:

jimmy

@Amy G Sho!! 3 times going on 4...... that's hectic!! 

Why didn't you just send the writing for a remark after the second time? All you need is a 7 right, assuming he scored well in the other bands? Or are you trying to go for full marks to get as much CRS points as possible ?

Amy G

@jimmy Yep all we need is a 7 for writing (he scored well in the other bands). The remark takes 6-8 weeks if I remember correctly, so if the result was unchanged we would have lost all that time, and still had to book another test but for a much later date. Call me crazy but safer to just book 2 more tests, as I managed to get him a spot on the 13 Oct test due to a cancellation :) 

jimmy

Exactly why we also decided to book another test rather than go for the remark....... 

IELTS IELTS IELTS.....eish..... the bane of my existence at the moment!! (oh, and Home Affairs 🙄)

• Like 1

Marcola

I never really believed it when people said that IELTS was "rigged" and a money making scheme. BUT i've seen folks with 8.5, 9, 9 (like @Ghecko) and then suddenly 6.5 for writing?! It really is so subjective and definitely a money making scheme. 

• Like 1

Sparky6

The writing is a doozie! You lose marks for things like writing can’t instead of cannot , etc, and in the personal letter, do NOT write Kind Regards , but write things like - missing you etc etc. they try and catch you to see if you rememeber when to use what tone and formal vs informal writing. Use descriptive words as well.  Just my 5 cents.

Amy G

Just got my hubby's results for the 13th October test - he got 6.5 again for writing and top bands for all else. He was so confident in his writing this time so we're sending it for a remark, and he has another test tomorrow. Feeling bummed, just want this part of the process to be over :( 

Edited by Amy G
  • Sad 1

jimmy

this is just another example of how ludicrous this IELTS system is...... Good luck with tomorrow for your husband @Amy G. My wife is also writing tomorrow for the second time. 

If you remark the previous writing I'm sure his score will improve to at least a 7.....

Amy G
55 minutes ago, jimmy said:

If you remark the previous writing I'm sure his score will improve to at least a 7.....

@jimmy yes am hoping so! Good luck to your wife for tomorrow too! Hopefully we will both have good news on the 9th of Nov, eek :rolleyes: 

jimmy

Thanks @Amy G. I'm sitting at the exam venue, my wife is already in and the exam about to start.

We've seen a couple of people that wrote with us the last time. The common denominator for rerurning "students" seems to be the writing section..... Why British Council? WHY!? 

GrantM
16 hours ago, jimmy said:

Thanks @Amy G. I'm sitting at the exam venue, my wife is already in and the exam about to start.

We've seen a couple of people that wrote with us the last time. The common denominator for rerurning "students" seems to be the writing section..... Why British Council? WHY!? 

This is not directed at anybody in particular but just my observation.

In this day and age people just don’t know how to write properly anymore. How often does the average Joe write a real letter or an essay/opinion piece? There are some exceptions but for the vast majority the answer is hardly ever.

In my opinion based on my 3+ years experience in the Canadian workforce I would say that the majority of people here wouldn’t get a decent writing score in the IELTS.

The answer is to learn the format and PRACTICE writing. For those of you that are struggling with the writing, are you actually (honestly) practicing the writing? If not, spend some time sitting and writing.

On another note, I’m not sure how I passed the listening section - according to my wife that is not one my of strong suits :)

• Like 1

sueannejoe

I agree wholeheartedly with @GrantM 

There are lots of resources to download practice IELTS tests. It will drive you crazy when you're practising, but it's all worth it once you do the actual test.

Side note: Won't we have to do the IELTS test again for the citizenship application? Please kindly advise, @MaryJane?

GrantM
18 minutes ago, sueannejoe said:

There are lots of resources to download practice IELTS tests. It will drive you crazy when you're practising, but it's all worth it once you do the actual test.

Side note: Won't we have to do the IELTS test again for the citizenship application? Please kindly advise, @MaryJane?

I have just applied for citizenship and you can just send a copy of your expired IELTS results to prove your English skills.

If you have other family members in your application that did not write IELTS or CELPIP then they can prove their English skills by supplying copies of certificates, diplomas or degrees that were taught in English.

• Thanks 1

MaryJane

@sueannejoe

@GrantM is correct. When I applied for citizenship, I only had to send in my IELTS result from when I applied for PR. And they accepted.

• Thanks 1

jimmy
19 hours ago, sueannejoe said:

I agree. On the first run of our IELTS test we focused a lot on the listening and reading sections in our preparation, especially the listening because of the higher score required. We watched one or 2 videos on the writing and got a general idea of the structure required. We thought that was going to be enough and as long as we write enough words we will be okay. 

My wife watched all Jay's videos, and said it made a huge difference, she can see where she went wrong the first time. Hopefully that will reflect in the scores.......

Amy G

@jimmy my hubby's not too happy with how it went on Saturday, he felt better about his writing the last time. So we will send that one for a remark and if the result is higher that will be a bonus, if not we're just going to apply with myself as the main applicant in April (I only graduate from my second qualification in March). 

At least we have that option so am thankful, just have to get through this waiting period :)