Marizelle Mostert

Homeschool

Marizelle Mostert

Hi, we are immigrating to Canada (Vancouver) end of July.  My eldest is turning 16 and is currently doing the Impaq Homeschool program with a tutor.

I've spoken to Impaq SA and they said we can carry on for the remaining of the year however I will need an invigilator for his exams November.

Are there anyone who can give me some advice?

Thank you

AnelleR2008

Is he going to go to school in Canada?   

If not I'm not sure that there is any point in doing the exams, unless it is just for yourself.

Anelle

AnelleR2008

PS:  This is our 17th year homeschooling.  We've homeschooled in South Africa (not with Impak) and we've been homeschooling Canada. 

Marizelle Mostert
On ‎2018‎/‎05‎/‎23 at 1:30 AM, AnelleR2008 said:

Is he going to go to school in Canada?   

If not I'm not sure that there is any point in doing the exams, unless it is just for yourself.

Anelle

Hi Anelle,

Thank you, he will be doing home-school in Canada as well.  Still not sure which program, he have a tutor in SA.

I will have a full time job in Canada.

Marizelle Mostert
On ‎2018‎/‎05‎/‎22 at 4:16 PM, Lizelle said:

I would contact some of the companies on this list, and see if they would do it:

http://registrar.athabascau.ca/invignet/bc.php

Thank you Lizelle, I really appreciate it.

AnelleR2008

Athabasca is a great idea for invigilating.  I would also ask Impak who they would consider.   When our eldest did some online courses he had a librarian invigilating on exam, there was no issue at all :) 

Ralls

Hey all 

We are homeschooling in South Africa and hope to continue in Canada. (I have 3 boys all primary school.) 

How is it regulated? 

Is there an association I have to join? A legal fund? 

Any advise would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

Lizelle

It depends on the province. Every province is regulated differently. Alberta is the most regulated, I believe. We register with a homeschool board, and meet with a facilitator twice a year. Really easy stuff, 30 min meeting where you talk about what you’re doing.  Unscooling is perfectly fine and allowed. We get $820 funding per year per child. BC you just let the government know. Don’t get any funding.

I think most other provinces you either just do it and don’t have to let anyone know, or you just have to fill out a form declaring you are homeschooling. I think Alberta is the only one where you get funding.

This looks like a good sight to get an overview of the different provinces https://homeschoolcanada.ca/homeschooling-by-province/

AnelleR2008

HSLDA Canada is the legal defense fund (like Pestalozzi in SA).

I can come back later to respond more.  We homeschooled in SA, and now in Canada (we're just finishing up our 17th year of homeschooling)

Ralls
On 6/25/2018 at 3:23 PM, AnelleR2008 said:

HSLDA Canada is the legal defense fund (like Pestalozzi in SA).

I can come back later to respond more.  We homeschooled in SA, and now in Canada (we're just finishing up our 17th year of homeschooling)

Thank you so much Anelle. This is very helpful. I would love to talk to you a bit more n future about homeschooling in Canada. But for now I will look at the site you've shared. For now we are planning our first trip to Canada in September. But hope to make the permanent move before the end of the year. We still dont know where we will end up. xx Ané

AnelleR2008

Feel free to ask if you have any questions :)

JennyVee

We made the decision to home school our children a while ago, and I've been researching how it works in Alberta before we land in November. I've found a bunch of info, and I'm pleasantly surprised to discover how many resources there are. Looking forward to going at it with our two little ones on that side!

Does anyone home school their preschoolers in Calgary? I'm not on Facebook - which makes it a bit tricky to meet people online - but I know how important community is as a home schooler and I would like to find some like-minded folk from SA, with similar-aged kiddos.

Jules

Where do you find the time to homeschool your kids? Respect to you because it must be a lot of work over and above normal responsibilities. I couldn’t do it. 

AnelleR2008
On 10/18/2018 at 8:32 AM, JennyVee said:

We made the decision to home school our children a while ago, and I've been researching how it works in Alberta before we land in November. I've found a bunch of info, and I'm pleasantly surprised to discover how many resources there are. Looking forward to going at it with our two little ones on that side!

Does anyone home school their preschoolers in Calgary? I'm not on Facebook - which makes it a bit tricky to meet people online - but I know how important community is as a home schooler and I would like to find some like-minded folk from SA, with similar-aged kiddos.

JennyVee, I have a few friends who started FB profiles only for groups on FB.  So, they use a pseudonym and don't add friends/family or post any private info.  The only purpose of the profile is to be in the homeschool groups, etc.
This works VERY well for them.   Is it something you would consider?   It would be so helpful for you to get in touch with other homeschoolers/families.
When we moved over 10 years ago I got in touch with homeschoolers in the Ottawa area in a group.  It was wonderful.   Within the first weeks we met families, they helped us figure out clothing, the bus system, activities, etc. 

• Like 1

AnelleR2008
5 hours ago, Jules said:

Where do you find the time to homeschool your kids? Respect to you because it must be a lot of work over and above normal responsibilities. I couldn’t do it. 

Its not for everyone, but those of us who do it, usually LOVE it. 

This is our 18th year.   We still have 7 at home.
Our eldest is studying a dual degree (Chemical Engineering and BioTechnology) at Ottawa U, our 18 year old should have finished grade 12 last year, but choose to do his final year over two years so he can work 30 hours a week and save up for a 2-3 year world trip with working holiday visas - the joys of having a Canadian passport :D

The others are 15, 13, 12, 11, 9 and 7. 

We really love homeschooling and everything that comes with it, even though it is harder where we live now (rural Nova Scotia) due to very, very few other homeschoolers and not as many resources;   we can't imagine anything else.

JennyVee

@AnelleR2008 Thanks for the idea, that would work. Don't know why I didn't think of it 🤦‍♀️

AnelleR2008

If you go that route, let me know and I can send you some links to groups :)