Leticia

Emirates

Recommended Posts

Leticia

Hi there.

Has anyone flew with Emirates and had a long layover in Dubai and slept at the Dubai International Airport Hotel. What was your experience ? What tips do you have ?

Or is it better to search for a flight with a shorter layover? We will also be travelling for our two year old.

Thank You

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rafti

Emirates amongst best 5 airlines - Dubai is very nice, we usually spend 3 days or more as there is lots to do and see there. Depends also when you are travelling though as Ramadan most restaurants are closed so not much to do during the day....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
M-N

We flew Emirates with a short layover.   I really liked it but it was a long trip.  

Personally I choose short layovers.  The flight is already so long I just want to get the trip over and done with.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sharma

The hotel is fine.

Try to take the A380 flight from Joburg to Dubai. Its more comfortable. 

If you are a person who can sleep on-board then a short layover is enough. Else get a long layover and get some rest. 

Dubai is very expensive. About two to three times SA cost. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kitcat

If you’re flying with your little one a longer layover might be better to give them a bit of time to run around a bit and maybe book into the hotel at the airport to give them a bath and a proper meal, so that you’re all rested and ready for the next flight. That’s what we’re planning to do when we eventually go over. We’ve got three year old twins, and having flown overseas with them before, I know they won’t cope with two major flights straight after each other.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leticia
On 12/05/2018 at 8:03 AM, Rafti said:

Emirates amongst best 5 airlines - Dubai is very nice, we usually spend 3 days or more as there is lots to do and see there. Depends also when you are travelling though as Ramadan most restaurants are closed so not much to do during the day....

Thank You for the advice Rafti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leticia
Just now, Leticia said:
On 13/05/2018 at 5:18 AM, M-N said:

We flew Emirates with a short layover.   I really liked it but it was a long trip.  

Personally I choose short layovers.  The flight is already so long I just want to get the trip over and done with.  

Thank You !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leticia
7 hours ago, Sharma said:

The hotel is fine.

Try to take the A380 flight from Joburg to Dubai. Its more comfortable. 

If you are a person who can sleep on-board then a short layover is enough. Else get a long layover and get some rest. 

Dubai is very expensive. About two to three times SA cost. 

Thank You. This will be the first time we take a flight that is so long. Not sure how we will cope with sleeping on-board.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leticia
2 hours ago, Kitcat said:

If you’re flying with your little one a longer layover might be better to give them a bit of time to run around a bit and maybe book into the hotel at the airport to give them a bath and a proper meal, so that you’re all rested and ready for the next flight. That’s what we’re planning to do when we eventually go over. We’ve got three year old twins, and having flown overseas with them before, I know they won’t cope with two major flights straight after each other.

Thank You. She is quite a busy little girl. Do not know how long she will stay in her seat. Just want to make it as easy on her as possible.

What did you give your children to keep them busy when flying ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kitcat
25 minutes ago, Leticia said:

Thank You. She is quite a busy little girl. Do not know how long she will stay in her seat. Just want to make it as easy on her as possible.

What did you give your children to keep them busy when flying ?

Hi Leticia, my girls were 22 months old when we flew to Australia. Here’s a bit about our experience- hope it helps... https://twinmumtales.com/2016/08/31/surviving-an-international-flight-with-twin-toddlers/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gerhard SaNamCan

We will be traveling with our 3 kids and we are also planning on flying Emirates with the long layover and sleeping the night in the Hotel in Dubai Airport. From my research I understand that you can check in your baggage from Jhb to Toronto and as the Hotel is within the Airport Terminal you do not need any visa etc. 

I was just wondering if anybody knows of any other "Airport Hotels" and Airlines that also offers this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sharma
On 5/15/2018 at 4:04 AM, Leticia said:

Thank You. She is quite a busy little girl. Do not know how long she will stay in her seat. Just want to make it as easy on her as possible.

What did you give your children to keep them busy when flying ?

When we flew our boy was busy with video games and movies. At that time he was 9 years old. 

Bit tricky with a 2 year old. 

Emirates is the best airline in this route. 

I still wont trade places with you. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sharma
21 hours ago, Gerhard SaNamCan said:

We will be traveling with our 3 kids and we are also planning on flying Emirates with the long layover and sleeping the night in the Hotel in Dubai Airport. From my research I understand that you can check in your baggage from Jhb to Toronto and as the Hotel is within the Airport Terminal you do not need any visa etc. 

I was just wondering if anybody knows of any other "Airport Hotels" and Airlines that also offers this. 

Most airports have a transit hotel. Depends on the route you take. With three kids Emirates is your best bet. 

You dont need visa to get into the airport hotel. And yes you can check your baggage through to Toronto. 

And if you do want to get out of airport and see a bit of Dubai you can get visa on arrival. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leticia
1 hour ago, Sharma said:

When we flew our boy was busy with video games and movies. At that time he was 9 years old. 

Bit tricky with a 2 year old. 

Emirates is the best airline in this route. 

I still wont trade places with you. :P

Thank You. Will have to try and be creative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leticia
1 hour ago, Sharma said:

Most airports have a transit hotel. Depends on the route you take. With three kids Emirates is your best bet. 

You dont need visa to get into the airport hotel. And yes you can check your baggage through to Toronto. 

And if you do want to get out of airport and see a bit of Dubai you can get visa on arrival. 

 

Thank You for the info. Glad to hear there is options available

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eloff's

Hi Leticia

Wen are you guys flying out?

Also I  was just wondering as we are also considering flying with Emirates, are you buying one way tickets or return, I know there is a tread somewhere about buying one way vs buying return. Was

just wondering if you have done price research yet?

Ciao

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reibtseb
24 minutes ago, Eloff's said:

Hi Leticia

Wen are you guys flying out?

Also I  was just wondering as we are also considering flying with Emirates, are you buying one way tickets or return, I know there is a tread somewhere about buying one way vs buying return. Was

just wondering if you have done price research yet?

Ciao

 

When I was checking prices in November last year, for Feb 2018, return flights were about R5k more expensive than one way. Not that I was planning on going back anytime soon.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eloff's
3 minutes ago, Reibtseb said:

When I was checking prices in November last year, for Feb 2018, return flights were about R5k more expensive than one way. Not that I was planning on going back anytime soon.

Thanks Reibtseb

Agreed, that's R5k we can use somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leticia
On 28/05/2018 at 8:52 PM, Eloff's said:

Hi Leticia

Wen are you guys flying out?

Also I  was just wondering as we are also considering flying with Emirates, are you buying one way tickets or return, I know there is a tread somewhere about buying one way vs buying return. Was

just wondering if you have done price research yet?

Ciao

 

Hi there

We fly 16 August 2018 with Emirates. Layover in Dubai and London Gatwick. I have found that a one way ticket is cheaper than a return ticket. I have not come across one where the return was cheaper. What dates are u guys thinking of ?

Leticia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eloff's

Hi there

 

Dates at this moment is difficult as I need to go for an procedure and am at the mercy of the specialist. But we would like to go around end September after recovery & so forth.

I'm thinking of using our eBucks rewards & reward level to get a discounted rate on a emirates flight.

It would seem like its a better idea to book one way flights. Where about are you guys settling?

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leticia
14 hours ago, Eloff's said:

Hi there

 

Dates at this moment is difficult as I need to go for an procedure and am at the mercy of the specialist. But we would like to go around end September after recovery & so forth.

I'm thinking of using our eBucks rewards & reward level to get a discounted rate on a emirates flight.

It would seem like its a better idea to book one way flights. Where about are you guys settling?

Ciao

We will be settling in Calgary. 

I see you are in Rbay, we grew up there ! Went to Rbay High. 

Leticia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eloff's
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:41 AM, Leticia said:

We will be settling in Calgary. 

I see you are in Rbay, we grew up there ! Went to Rbay High. 

Leticia

My word now just goes to show what a small world we live in. Jip October we will be here 6 years. I guess we are not finding out what 2019 will be bringing to the Bay.

I went to Pionier in Vryheid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leticia
4 minutes ago, Eloff's said:

My word now just goes to show what a small world we live in. Jip October we will be here 6 years. I guess we are not finding out what 2019 will be bringing to the Bay.

I went to Pionier in Vryheid. 

Yes it is ! Good luck with your journey !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jolandie

My hubby went to Pionier in Vryheid :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now