Sign in to follow this  
Kitcat

PR applications submitted April 2018

Forma

HI Everyone,  we visited Nova Scotia in 2016 and fell in love with everything about Canada, although we spent time only in NS, that is where we want to be.  So we've done the budgets, the discussions, done the research about cost of living, work (or little work) but are convinced to go.  We are going purely for our children's academic benefits and for the opportunity to "breath" without worrying about security and safety all the time.  We are really looking forward to it.  My concern is that I am 43 and my husband 49 - is there a slight possibility that this will be the biggest issue when applying?  We are both skilled workers but I hope to continue my business there.  Being selected from the pool - is that pure luck or would age count against us?

MaryJane

Welcome to the forums @Forma!

I won’t say that it will be an easy application, age will definitely count against you...but there are still many routes.

EE (Express Entry) uses the points system and your ages will not yield very high points. So don’t just have “being picked from the EE pool” as your only ticket in.

You can perhaps look at provincial nomination (PNP) and other specific routes focused on the Atlantic provinces to help you. This will boost your EE score higher if you have the backing of the province.

Plus there is still the work permit route where you land a job and the employer sponsors you to come to Canada. This is still a popular route and the least riskiest as you hit the ground running.

Having said this, please do start the process as soon as you can. I’d suggest that you be the main applicant (seeing that you are the younger one and will likely still get some points, even though not much).

Good luck on your journey and hope to hear more of your stories on the forum in the future!

Forma

Hi @MaryJane, thank you for your quick response.  I definitely will take your advice and start the process asap!  I will keep you posted, many thanks! :-) 

Kitcat

Hi @Forma, have you had a look at the Express Entry tool where you can calculate what your points would be if going the Express Entry route? If not, perhaps that would be a good place to start so that you could at least see where your age, as well as the other factors such as education, work experience and English language proficiency, would put you in the pool - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

For an idea of what the points have been over the last year or so, here is a good overview: https://moving2canada.com/express-entry-draw/ - and this should then help you see where you would stand with the EE route.

Good luck!

Forma

Thank you very much, will do!

ateotia
On 6/5/2018 at 10:42 AM, Kitcat said:

Hi @ateotia, has anyone from your group heard anything yet? Any progress on that side?

Hi Kitcat, we had a Feb aor who received PPR last thursday from Pretoria, a couple of us Jan AOR are still waiting on PPR. Our applications are in pretoria Visa office, 1 person other got PPR but his was from Ottawa office. Have you heard anything new about the pretoria office?

Kitcat

Hi @ateotia, I sent an email to the Pretoria office to find out where my application was being processed and got a response a day later that, judging by the email trail, came from the central processing office. It said that my application is under review in their office and I’ll be contacted in due course. I’m really not sure what exactly to make of it. I’m assuming it means that it’s being processed in Ottawa, but I imagine it could also mean that is hasn’t been transferred to Pretoria yet...

ateotia
4 minutes ago, Kitcat said:

Hi @ateotia, I sent an email to the Pretoria office to find out where my application was being processed and got a response a day later that, judging by the email trail, came from the central processing office. It said that my application is under review in their office and I’ll be contacted in due course. I’m really not sure what exactly to make of it. I’m assuming it means that it’s being processed in Ottawa, but I imagine it could also mean that is hasn’t been transferred to Pretoria yet...

hey @Kitcat. you are right, it could mean that you havent moved to Pretoria yet but less chances for that as one usually moves to LVO Pretoria within 1-2 months of AOR. My AOR was 11th jan and moved to pretoria 8th march, another guy i know had feb 2nd AOR and moved to pretoria 8th march too and he has already got the PPR. (I'm still waiting). Since your dates are borderline, i cant say for sure if you are being processed in ottawa itself or in pretoria. But do pray it is being processed in ottawa as Pretoria has been slow since start of 2018 and we from jan are still waiting for ppr. Ottawa is quicker

Kitcat

Thanks, things definitely seem to have slowed down with the processing this year. I really hope you hear something soon!

Kitcat

Got an update on our profile today to say our background check is being processed, so hopefully a good sign :)

• Like 1

Kitcat
On 6/7/2018 at 4:22 PM, StuartW said:

Ill add to hear since we submitted very Early in May. Medicals passed probably 10 days later, and been sitting tight since? Anyone know how long it takes for the application to move to Pretoria? I believe once it moves, its fairly quick

Hi @StuartW, have you had any progress on your application?

StuartW

@Kitcat, sadly nothing. I have not mailed yet to find out where I am being processed. Do you happen to have that address handy? I may drop them a mail to try and find out where I am being processed.

Impossible to forget about the application, I think I check this forum twice a day to see if anyone else has received their PPR and I check on myimmitracker to see the rate of change on there. 

Kitcat

I know exactly what you mean - it’s terribly distracting, and living in limbo is so hard.

I sent to these two email addresses: 

pretimmigration@international.gc.ca,
pretoria-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca

This was the info I included in my request:

To Whom it May Concern,

I am trying to find out in which Visa office my application is being processed?

Application number: 
Date of Birth: 
Last Name: 
First Name: 
UCI: 
Category of Immigration: Federal Skilled Worker

They were pretty quick to respond, and it looks like my application is being processed in Ottawa, so hoping for some news soon.

ateotia
21 hours ago, StuartW said:

@Kitcat, sadly nothing. I have not mailed yet to find out where I am being processed. Do you happen to have that address handy? I may drop them a mail to try and find out where I am being processed.

Impossible to forget about the application, I think I check this forum twice a day to see if anyone else has received their PPR and I check on myimmitracker to see the rate of change on there. 

hey @StuartW, what is your AOR? I would suggest emailing pretoria soon to know where your application is being processed. iv got a jan aor and still waiting for a ppr from them

StuartW

@ateotia I am 4th May, so I have not rushed to mail them just yet since its still relatively early days. Just know few people from about a year ago who got processed between 1-2 months, this year however seems like everyone is getting 3-4 months (or longer in your situation ☹️)

ateotia
41 minutes ago, StuartW said:

@ateotia I am 4th May, so I have not rushed to mail them just yet since its still relatively early days. Just know few people from about a year ago who got processed between 1-2 months, this year however seems like everyone is getting 3-4 months (or longer in your situation ☹️)

if people get it within 1-2 months they have been processed in ottawa, Pretoria has on an average issued pprs 4th from aor onwards, unfortunately for this year jan aor applicants, it has been taking longer to get ppr from Pretoria, but this is general for all jan applicants, im part of the whatsapp group and we have 2 other jan applicants waiting

Kitcat

Any other April applicants who have received their PPR? We moved to IP2 almost six weeks ago and no further progress...

ateotia
6 hours ago, Kitcat said:

Any other April applicants who have received their PPR? We moved to IP2 almost six weeks ago and no further progress...

hey @Kitcat, actually if you are asking for pretoria applicants, we still have 2 jan AOR folks still awaiting PPR, their AOR is end of jan, and then i know of another feb AOR in pretoria still waiting too. Sorry i might have forgotten this, have you moved to Pretoria?

Kitcat

Hey @ateotia, as far as I can tell from my previous correspondence it looks like my application is being processed in Ottawa, not Pretoria, so we are hoping to hear something soon as they seem to be a bit faster than Pretoria, but I guess we never know with such things. I hope those Jan and Feb applicants hear something soon, as it's a long wait - the limbo must be aweful!

ateotia

couple of other jan aor folks got the PPR last week from the pretoria whatsapp group, just wanted to share here to keep you all updatd that Pretoria is making progress

Kitcat

That's good to know. Thanks for the info @ateotia. How are your plans going? When will you be heading off to Canada?

ateotia
1 hour ago, Kitcat said:

That's good to know. Thanks for the info @ateotia. How are your plans going? When will you be heading off to Canada?

hey @Kitcat, im planning to leave mauritius in september mid to India and then fly out to Toronto from India end of september. So far still lots of things pending to do :( hopefully all sorts out in time. 

• Like 1

Kitcat

Five and a half months and counting. This wait is so hard - wish we could understand how some get their application processed in less than two months while others wait so long. Living in limbo is no fun and we really want to get going or make alternate plans now. Anyone else still sitting in the same boat?

Jellybeans

The one's processed quickly are sent to Ottawa, not Pretoria. We are now just over 4 months. I can't really find many people waiting though

Kitcat

I've heard that Ottawa is faster, but the thing is that our application is in Ottawa - it's not being processed in Pretoria - so it's super frustrating.